What's new

Luke Kennard?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Locke brought him up on the podcast today and it got me thinking.....

Would Luke Kennard be a good fit? He has a team option next year for 14 million and I'm assuming the Grizzlies have cap issues.

He's probably the most quietest elite shooter in the NBA currently?

I'm sure he's a bad defender, but the advanced stats do not bare that out as DBPM has him just slightly below average.

Would Luke Kennard be a good fit? He has a team option next year for 14 million and I'm assuming the Grizzlies have cap issues.

I'm sure he's a bad defender, but the advanced stats do not bare that out as DBPM has him just slightly below average.
can always use shooters

I really like Kennard, always been underrated IMO. Better as a defender+creator than given credit for. Would have to get rid of Clarkson, and that wouldn't leave much room for another guard if you want to resign Kris Dunn.

Pass... I think we end up doing a stealth but very real full season tank next year. We will do it while retaining Lauri and Collin.

Pass... I think we end up doing a stealth but very real full season tank next year. We will do it while retaining Lauri and Collin.
Okay maybe we do trade one of them. I think we end up bottom 5-6 by playing 5 first or second year players in our rotation... so no room for the Nard Dawg.

He’ll no!! I’m done with these types of guys. I want long athletic defenders that can shoot SOME.
Shouldn’t be too hard we will have three second year players and up to three rookies with two being low picks. Just commit to the young guys and no issues there.

Tank next year hard and not hope but if fate allows…. a key injury or 2 for a couple other teams in the league….wouldn’t be so terrible for us

What happens in the playoffs and offseason can still offer a chance to make a big swing trade (either way)... But if there are no stars for us to chase or desperate bidders to buy high on Lauri/Sexton out there, you are probably right.

If we would manage to do a full season tank for a top pick in 2025 while holding on to Lauri and Sexton, it would create a very interesting base to build on (assuming we can extend both Lauri and Collin). Key, Brice, Sensa and 6 more rookies coming in 2024+2025. Surely there is a gem there somewhere, along with a bunch of NBA quality guys.

I can't wait for us to bring in Kennard only to take minutes away from whoever we draft in the top 10... and then mid-season decide that we actually need the rookie to play so we trade Kennard for a bag of chips elsewhere...

(for the record... don't mind Kennard as a player... just frustrated with the split personality Jazz FO... It's as if DA and Zanik have completely different views about what should be done and just so everybody can be happy they decided to let one decide what happens in the summer and the other one decide what happens during the winter deadline).

So 3 straight years of tanking?

All while demanding taxpayer money for a new arena in Draper?

Hmmm
Hey, the rich guys gotsta get paid! After all, they did something and got lucky (Mark Cuban's words) and made lots of money so they deserve to get all the monies. We can't have a functioning capitalist society if everyone has the money. No one wants that! 1% deserve all the money so the other 99% have something to hope for clutching their lottery tickets. It's the American way!

I can't wait for us to bring in Kennard only to take minutes away from whoever we draft in the top 10... and then mid-season decide that we actually need the rookie to play so we trade Kennard for a bag of chips elsewhere...

(for the record... don't mind Kennard as a player... just frustrated with the split personality Jazz FO... It's as if DA and Zanik have completely different views about what should be done and just so everybody can be happy they decided to let one decide what happens in the summer and the other one decide what happens during the winter deadline).
You can both have good vets and rookies. Crazy concept.

Also in this draft, pretty much every rookie isn't going to be good enough to play immediate minutes. Guys will need GLeague time unless we get an Edey or Knecht.

I think Kennard is a far more dynamic ball handler and passer. Kennard is also statistically a better shooter.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Their efg% is exactly the same. Their per 100 possession numbers on their counting stats are eerily similar. I think Merrill's defense is a little better.

I think it's pretty close.