What's new

M. Night Shyamalan

Judging from the fact he has a new movie out...no, Joker, they did not.

I've been looking forward to the reaction to this movie for a while. I tend to think Shyamalan is a bit of a trainwreck of a director, but other people have argued with me that he is a fine director who needs work in times of writing. Since this movie was based off of a well-loved--and honestly, speaking as a fan, quite good--series, I assumed this would give the final word on his abilities purely as a director. So far, so bad.

And I find it amusing that an Indian-American director has created one of the greater firestorms over race that I've seen in a while. If you want to be thoroughly entertained, Google some combination of "last airbender," "race," "racebending," and "whitewashing." Even one of the shows original directors is boycotting the film, at last check.

If they complete the trilogy or Shyamalan gets another crack at a major film for one of the big film studios, I will be amazed.

This angers me. I wanted this to be well made, oh well. The cartoon series is fantastic, and well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

I am sure I will still see it. My boys love "Avatar" and I've enjoyed what I've seen. It will likely be a "Transformers" type movie: awful, but my kids will watch it numerous times.

K. I saw this today. My thinking was "hey this is gonna be crap, but if I go in with low expectations, I could still enjoy it along the lines of G.I. Joe or Transformers" boy was I wrong, this movie doesn't work on ANY level, even the comically bad one. I hate this movie, I ran out of the theater so I could jump in my car and yell swears. SO BAD EFFFF

It can't be any worse than...

waterworld.jpg

kobe_doin_work.jpg

scientology-john-travolta-battlefield-earth.jpg

the-blob-eats-a-jock.jpg

StarTrek_Nemesis.jpg

Jet_Li_is_the_Monkey_King.jpg

dumb_and_dumberer_poster.jpg

These movies are mind blowingly horrible.

Waterworld wasn't that bad.

It can't be worse than Transformers 2, Attack of the Clones, or Shrek the Third. It just can't.

At one point in time it was thought he might be one of his generation's great directors. I think we've learned that clearly isn't true. At this point his body of work is, to be charitable, uneven.

But it isn't the nail in the coffin because his movies still make money and he does well with overseas audiences.

His last three films:

The Village: Budget of $60 million, worldwide gross of $256 million.
Lady in the Water: Budget of $70 million, worldwide gross of $72 million (so this was probably a slight money loser, and I think it was his best film in the last 10 years).
The Happening: Budget of $48 million, worldwide gross of $163 million.

So he's going to keep working even if this bombs badly.

It can't be worse than Transformers 2, Attack of the Clones, or Shrek the Third. It just can't.

Transformers was one of the worst movies I've seen too. Never seen attack of the clones (thank heavens). shrek 3? Is that the 3-d one?

I'm interested to know what you think of it after you've seen it. But to answer your question shortly, yes yes and yes..

The lengthy response: All of those movies, despite being absolutely terrible, have the ability to entertain me if I lower my expectations enough. They have some semblance of energy or entertainment value IMO (in the case of the attack of the clones, it comes in the last 30 mins). The Last Airbender, I literally walked in expecting an experience on par with the mentioned above, and I came away in awe with how disappointed I was. I do well with bad movies, I do. But this was a serious exercise in patience for me, a really really hard sit.

Is this really surprising? After I saw Unbreakable I wanted to puke all over Shyamalan. He was one good movie and one blah movie and the rest are beyond terrible.

The village was straight up trash, from our friend M. Night Sham-a-lam-a-ding-dong. He's garbage.

Last edited by a moderator: