What's new

Mailman on 1280 The Zone :))

Karl is one of those guys who is 100% confident about what they say, which leads you to believing them sometimes, but at the same time, they probably don't know what they're talking about. He overrates his own opinion just like we do because he was Karl Malone on the basketball floor.

He sounds pretty jealous of the Jazz staff actually. When asked about Kanter, he went, "Who do they have to coach a young bigman like that?" and "Deron went to practice with John... what about me?"

- Craig

Karl is one of those guys who is 100% confident about what they say, which leads you to believing them sometimes, but at the same time, they probably don't know what they're talking about. He overrates his own opinion just like we do because he was Karl Malone on the basketball floor.

He sounds pretty jealous of the Jazz staff actually. When asked about Kanter, he went, "Who do they have to coach a young bigman like that?" and "Deron went to practice with John... what about me?"

- Craig
He's right though. They don't have anyone who has been a big in the NBA, or been there done that. How is that Karl being jealous, when he is telling it as he sees it. He was spot on there.

Can you imagine Malone trying to coach someone?

Malone: "No son, no. Look, a deaf cat can hear the windblow sometimes, but you got to put the ball in the basket!"

Kanter: "What?"

Malone: Look, just do this move. *Malone shows Kanter a move* "Just put your foot down like a deer in the woods, lightly but not to light"

Kanter: ".........."

Malone: "Enough with this practicing boy, Karl Malone is hungry. I heard you had some turkey?!?"

Can you imagine Malone trying to coach someone?

Malone: "No son, no. Look, a deaf cat can hear the windblow sometimes, but you got to put the ball in the basket!"

Kanter: "What?"

Malone: Look, just do this move. *Malone shows Kanter a move* "Just put your foot down like a deer in the woods, lightly but not to light"

Kanter: ".........."

Malone: "Enough with this practicing boy, Karl Malone is hungry. I heard you had some turkey?!?"

repped,,funny stuff,lol

[relationship with Stockton]
“People just assume that we’re just the best buddies in the world…we had the most unbelievable connection on the court and that started in the Olympic tryout when he got cut by Bobby Knight and I got cut by Bobby Knight…thank you Coach Knight.”
“Personally [both godparents of each other’s kids] our friendship is to the end…but we have differences. I’m outdoorsman to the end…I carry a knife with me all the time [Monsoon: “put that knife away Karl”] no its safe…dull…it just dull you to death – Stock is more [wildlife preservation]…”
“We did family things [with Stocktons] but we had our lives that we lived. Stock…he loved fishing by the way. We had one of the most unbelievable fishing trips ever…and Stock know how to do it right…he outfished me that day…and it hurt…the fishing and hunting guys will punish me but he did out-fish me that day.”
[ever have a fight with Stock on court]
“Practice. Oh we had some classic battles in practice cause Coach Sloan would always put us on the opposite team. He hit me and I hit him and we had words but Coach Sloan did it to get us going.”

[preparation]
I didn’t train for 48 minutes. I trained my body and my mind for a game and a half in case we went into overtime.

[Does not winning a championship haunt him?]
Well no I don’t believe in ghosts so that’s what I think about when I think 'haunting'…but it do bother me.

[Winning and losing]
"Never took a win for granted, never got too excited…but I took a loss to heart."

[Losing in the NBA Finals]
Immediately after I wanted to start back training right away. After each [year] I started back training two days after, full mo-fo training. Each loss…I felt I letdown the whole state. I tried the best of my ability, I didn’t hangout late at night, I didn’t abuse my body I slept right I ate right…it just didn’t happen.

lol....

Monson: Mailman are you haunted for not winning the big one?

Malone: I don't believe in haunted. I don't believe in ghosts.

Classic

There were so many others too! Malone might be the most intelligent noneducated person in the history of mankind. Everything he said, from the status of the NBA to the way we're developing Kanter, makes so much sense. And the man doesn't hold anything back.

I had to turn it off because I was getting emotional. My oh my how I miss a loyal franchise man, who actually gave a damn about winning (and not just about collecting the paycheck), who wore his emotions... A likeable NBA player made of flesh and blood. Not these jerkasses, like Lebron. Or this robots, like Boozer.

Anyone else hear what he said about Jimmer? He likes the Jimmer but said that he won't cheer for him since he has the wrong damn jersey on.

Is there another NBA player more loyal this his sports franchise? Maybe magic to the Lakers? Maybe???

Malone 4ever dude...

[Being in shape]
“You can’t take a magic pill to get in shape.”
“I actually could’ve beat [Ostertag] up…I’d beat my brother up if he wasn’t in shape.
“He wanted to train with me, Greg…can you believe we’ve been talking for 3 hours?...Greg Ostertag wanted to train with me and been after me…The day he sign what was at the time the largest contract in the history of the jazz, I lift [without Greg] then start my hike…he catch up to me and when it get tough he head back down, and I finish my workout while he come late and go back down early and shower and signed the biggest contract in the history of the Jazz.”

[Karl Malone on jealousy]
“Only thing I get jealous about is when someone kill a bigger bear than me - but that’s the hunting gods we deal with.”

[Karl Malone on twitter]
As we been talking, I been updated by my family and Kylee says: “Hey dad, I’m looking for a husband that plays baseball?” Really Kylee? Shutup.”
“What’s all this twitter, tweet…okay let me get this right cuz kids listening. I don’t tweet, but my daughter wants you to know where she going. What?...okay jump back in here cause I’m taking this show over.”

[’98 Finals - Game 6]
They take a Howard Eisley three and give a Ron Harper (2-pointer). So we playing in Spokane Washington (preseason game, captains meeting pregame), Dick Bavetta he say, ‘Karl, Stock, come here a second.’ He say, ‘guys I have the worst summer of my life that I did that to you’.”
[Did he think refs were crooked?]
I’m not going to say crooked, but did a lot of [refs] have the best interest of themselves in mind? Yes.

What a dumb question..... "did Jordan push off on B-Russ or was it incidental contact?". Do you really need to try that hard to bait Malone. I mean everyone knows how Malone will answer that!!

[Being in shape]
“You can’t take a magic pill to get in shape.”
“I actually could’ve beat [Ostertag] up…I’d beat my brother up if he wasn’t in shape.
“He wanted to train with me, Greg…can you believe we’ve been talking for 3 hours?...Greg Ostertag wanted to train with me and been after me…The day he sign what was at the time the largest contract in the history of the jazz, I lift [without Greg] then start my hike…he catch up to me and when it get tough he head back down, and I finish my workout while he come late and go back down early and shower and signed the biggest contract in the history of the Jazz.”

[Karl Malone on jealousy]
“Only thing I get jealous about is when someone kill a bigger bear than me but that’s the hunting gods we deal with.”

[Karl Malone on twitter]
As we been talking, I been updated by my family and Kyle says: “Hey dad, I’m looking for a husband that plays baseball?” Really Kylie? Shutup.”
“What’s all this twitter, tweet…okay let me get this right cuz kids listening. I don’t tweet, but my daughter wants you to know where she going. What?...okay jump back in here cause I’m taking this show over.”

[’98 Finals - Game 6]
They take a Howard Eisley three and give a Ron Harper (2-pointer). So we playing in Spokane Washington (preseason game, captains meeting pregame), Dick Bavetta he say, ‘Karl, Stock, come here a second.’ He say, ‘guys I have the worst summer of my life that I did that to you’.”
[Did he think refs were crooked?]
I’m not going to say crooked, but did a lot of [refs] have the best interest of themselves in mind? Yes.
well we know at least one commandment Malone has broken. How many times has he mentioned the "hunting gods"?

He's still going...

[Running the floor]
"Do you know what a bigman do when he run the floor? A little man, a vertically challenged guy, when he run the floor there’s not a fear…when a bigman run the floor there’s a fear among coaches, and officials, because you bring an energy… first of all you scare the hell out of your big man, and then you might run over a guard. I wanted them to take a charge early on me in the game…My whole mentality of the game was to run, big guys do not like running.”

[Malone on Hayward]
"You have to be very delicate with a young player. He should be a junior in college or seniors? He’s a lottery pick. That kid is going to be okay. That fine line as a coaching staff and an organization. You will be…you got one of the best shooters in the history of the organization on the bench."

"If [Jeff Hornacek] can help Andrei Kirilenko get it towards the ocean, he can help this kid." (I found that hilarious)
"This kid now, he have to get his confidence back but you do that when no lights and cameras are on. Get with Jeff Hornacek.
“Free throw line – which I was terrible at when I started - it be like you operating a backhow…that’s your follow-through. [Hayward] need to get with a guy like Jeff and listen to a shooter. It’s mental. A shooter and a scorer think everyone of them going in. Difference in a scorer and a shooter. I was a scorer, I was not a shooter. Son, I’m saying to him, to Hayward, Gordon, Hayward, they drafted you not for your defensive prowess, because you’re a scorer, slasher, shooter. Start driving to the basket more…he’s tough, I like him. If the shot’s not falling, they stop doing other things. And then the agent calls. And then his brother’s brother calls. And then the kids call and they stop listening to the coach.”

Malone for president, He is the most hilarious person to listen to. He says it like it is and thats how we all like to hear it. He carries a dull knife on him at all times (to open envelopes?), Malone is a badass. This is why I loved the Jazz.