What's new

Make it work!

Tony

Contributor
Lets have fun! Time to play GM! With all of these players and 12 or 17 million to work with toward a free agent(s), create the 2015-16 Jazz roster.

Trevor Booker
Trey Burke
Alec Burks
Jack Cooley
Bryce Cotton
Dante Exum
Derrick Favors
Rudy Gobert
Olivier Hanlan
Gordon Hayward
Rodney Hood
Joe Ingles
Grant Jerrett
Trey Lyles
Elijah Millsap
Raul Neto
Tibor Pleiss

12MIL (with Booker)
17MIL (without Booker)

That's what she said.

200_s.gif

Ok. If I'm GM, here's what I'm doing

First of all, the only untouchables are

Hayward
Favors
Gobert

1st step.

I open up discussions with as many teams as necessary to talk about a trade for one of their stars. Unplausible? Sure, but you have to try. I make everything available but the big 3.

If step 1 completely fails, move on to step 2. If it works, then you cash checks and order your rings.

Step 2

Trade Burke and Burks. Not sure for what. Just do it. Unless it's a bad deal.

Keep Ingles and Booker.

Chase these free agents

Butler
Leonard
Middleton
Draymond Green
KJ McDaniels
Jae Crowder
Danny Green
Patrick Beverley
Demarre Carroll
Austin Rivers
and a few others if those fall through.

Bring over bitch Pleiss for cheap and Neto

Maybe keep Cotton.

I'm lazy. The work has already been done, IMO.

C: Gobert, (Favors), Pleiss (bring him over)
PF: Favors, Booker, Lyles. Trey will take over for Booker in 2016, who is going to get a sizeable offer from someone.
Wings: Hayward, Hood, Burks, Ingles (if not offered too big a contract by another team), Millsap
PG's: Exum, Burke, Hanlan, Cotton

One "wild card" position left. Could be any of the following: Jerrett, Cooley, Motum, Johnson, Neto, Saunders.

I'm continuing to take offers from anyone who still thinks Burke has value. But the best bet might be to hold onto him in his current role until the deadline. Personally, I think DL has a nice surprise for us come July 1st. We're getting rid of Trey and getting a good asset in return.

Lets have fun! Time to play GM! With all of these players and 12 or 17 million to work with toward a free agent(s), create the 2015-16 Jazz roster.

Trevor Booker
Trey Burke
Alec Burks
Jack Cooley
Bryce Cotton
Dante Exum
Derrick Favors
Rudy Gobert
Olivier Hanlan
Gordon Hayward
Rodney Hood
Joe Ingles
Grant Jerrett
Trey Lyles
Elijah Millsap
Raul Neto
Tibor Pleiss

12MIL (with Booker)
17MIL (without Booker)
Trade Booker X Wilson Chandler..

Players I'm keeping = C: Rudy Gobert, C/PF: Derrick Favors, PF: Trey Lyles, PF: Trevor Booker, SF/SG: Gordon Hayward, SF/SG: Rodney Hood, SF/SG: Joe Ingles (RFA), SG/PG: Alec Burks, SG: Elijah Millsap, PG: Dante Exum, PG: Trey Burke and PG: Bryce Cotton = 12 roster spots.

Players I'm adding = SF: DeMarre Carroll (Atlanta) and C: Tibor Pleiss (FC Barcelona) = 2 more roster spots / 14 total filled

Bubble players left over to compete for the last roster spot = PG/SG: Olivier Hanlan, PG: Raul Neto, SG: Chris Johnson, PF: Brock Motum, PF: Grant Jarrett, C/PF: Jack Cooley, SG: Wesley Saunders. Front line still feels a little thin, but I'd expect Hanlan to stick and spend most of the year up in Idaho.

Roster Breakdown

Guards - Dante Exum / Alec Burks / Trey Burke / Bryce Cotton / Olivier Hanlan
Wings - Gordon Hayward / DeMarre Carroll / Rodney Hood / Jingles / Elijah Millsap
Bigs - Rudy Gobert / Derrick Favors / Trevor Booker / Trey Lyles / Tibor Pleiss

Top 9 for the playoff rotation this year - Gobert, Favors, Booker, Lyles, Hayward, Carroll, Hood, Exum and Burks. . . maybe Jingles over Booker if they're matching up a small ball team.

This is obviously dependent on Snyder agreeing that Burks fits the role behind Exum and that Carroll can be afforded. I think that the whole team would be improved by those two moves in particular. It also allows the team to maintain financial flexibility moving forward because any deal for Carroll wouldn't be excessively burdensome once the cap grows.

As early as this season's trade deadline, the Jazz should start looking to package Burke, Booker (for salary matching purposes) and multiple 1st round picks to add a disgruntled star or young player looking to get a big contract from a team that doesn't want to invest in them (ala Kanter). I'd probably save that deal for next year after this young team has spent a year together and have a year of playoff experience to evaluate where the biggest needs are moving forward.