What's new

Game Thread Mar 12, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Celtics

Added to Calendar: 03-12-24

Why did Team USA hurt his confidence exactly? Who thought the guy with one year experience was going to be a main rotation guy for the national team? It should have been pretty clear to everyone he was just there to provide a body for practices and to get him in the national system if he ever amounts to anything down the line. TEam USA should have been a massive confidence boost no matter what. You are among (some of) the top young players for an extended period of time and training with them.

Like if this is the level of mental fragility with Kessler that's a huge red flag.

I've never really bought the Team USA hurt his confidence talking point either. The only negative I can think from his Team USA experience is that he might not have had a chance to work on the specific aspects of his game he needed to.

I've never really bought the Team USA hurt his confidence talking point either. The only negative I can think from his Team USA experience is that he might not have had a chance to work on the specific aspects of his game he needed to.
I think the reality is that he is just an extremely ****** offensive player who has to be in the perfect team context to provide any value on offense.

And sadly, I don't see a whole ton of room for improvement unless he has a substantial upgrade to his ability to elevate in traffic.

I wouldn't prioritize looking for centers, but I'm definitively a lot less certain that Walker is the guy than I was before. I'm only at like a 3 on the worried scale, but that's because I had predicted a Sophomore slump, so some of this is just what I was expecting.
I wouldn't say prioritize... but I think its more of a position we can address with minor assets and get good value for them. We don't have a lot of space but we might be able to buy a center in the 15M range that might be just as good and then you could maybe flip Walker for a top 10 pick or something... IDK. I'd be more likely to take a prospect at the end of the first right now if there is someone interesting or different enough. Then if Walker isn't developing you have another iron in the fire... or you have something a little different that can supplement what he does.

Its a bummer he has struggled.

Ehhh... this year the cost isn't bad and I understood kind of the approach. Last year costing yourself a small shot at Wemby is really rough.

What is crazy is that if the summer doesn't go great then a 2 year tank and deconstruction should be on the table... but I am not sure it will be because the last couple years of meh will influence decisions.
My biggest concern is when does it come time to trade Markkanen. Does his age fit in the jazz time line? I’m looking at how long it’s taken OKC to blow **** up and get to where they’re at now and they were lucky enough to get an mvp worthy candidate at the beginning of their rebuild. We should’ve traded him in the offseason. That’s when his value was highest. He was an allstar starter and most improved and helped a bad jazz team overachieve and almost make the playin. I feel like the Jazz should just trade him this offseason as I doubt he will be in his prime by the time we are good to go or he will only have a couple years.

My biggest concern is when does it come time to trade Markkanen. Does his age fit in the jazz time line? I’m looking at how long it’s taken OKC to blow **** up and get to where they’re at now and they were lucky enough to get an mvp worthy candidate at the beginning of their rebuild. We should’ve traded him in the offseason. That’s when his value was highest. He was an allstar starter and most improved and helped a bad jazz team overachieve and almost make the playin. I feel like the Jazz should just trade him this offseason as I doubt he will be in his prime by the time we are good to go or he will only have a couple years.
OKC turned it around very fast and yes got a little lucky obviously. It’s a valid question on Lauri. If we don’t hit a home run in the draft or make a big win now deal… the question gets really loud. I don’t think his value is off of its peak though. Even if we extend him his value would still be very high. So I’m not worried about that per se. I’d be more worried we are missing out on some good drafts the next couple years.