What's new

Game Thread Mar 20, 2024 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Thunder

Added to Calendar: 03-20-24

It's all about getting lucky and positioning yourself to take advantage.
That's not a process though. That's what someone may think, as do all the people buying lottery tickets, but definitely not a process. "Just wing it and see what happens" defo not a process.

Last year they turned Lauri into a top 30 guy.

This year they drafted Keyonte and turned Sexton into a top 50-ish guy.
They turned a top15 guy into a top30 and top100 guys and some picks that right now have questionable value. The top30 guy has one year left on his contract. And while this "turned into" might have some run with Lauri, it doesn't with Sexton. He's the exact same player as always. Now, instead of averaging 24+, he's averaging 18+.

They are making progress in building their foundation while increasing their assets. That's crazy.
I'd say it's crazy to think there is any sort of foundation. Lauri might stay or he might not. Keyonte has shown some promise, but it's 60+ games in already and he's yet to show any interest in playing defense. Everything else is picks that as of this moment are late 1sts and guys that on an actual competitive team would be "he might be our 8th man".

What is the process? "Hope to get lucky"? So far "the process" has been "to be flexible" which is... nothing and doesn't just play out.

Locke is quite often simplistic front office talking points.
You’re getting into semantics now. “Process” was just simply meant to mean “rebuilding” in the above posts.

That's not a process though. That's what someone may think, as do all the people buying lottery tickets, but definitely not a process. "Just wing it and see what happens" defo not a process.

They turned a top15 guy into a top30 and top100 guys and some picks that right now have questionable value. The top30 guy has one year left on his contract. And while this "turned into" might have some run with Lauri, it doesn't with Sexton. He's the exact same player as always. Now, instead of averaging 24+, he's averaging 18+.

I'd say it's crazy to think there is any sort of foundation. Lauri might stay or he might not. Keyonte has shown some promise, but it's 60+ games in already and he's yet to show any interest in playing defense. Everything else is picks that as of this moment are late 1sts and guys that on an actual competitive team would be "he might be our 8th man".
Getting lucky is what it is about. Stacking the deck as best you can. "The Process" for Philly was lose a lot to enhance your chances at getting lucky. There is skill in the selections you make and the other deals and such, but so much success in the NBA can be assigned to a lucky break. Its not quite lotto ticket type stuff but its making bets for sure.

Its also being prepared for the big opportunity... luck plays into whether the opportunity comes along.

I think we all like to think they can control more than they can. I think its part of the reason tanking is popular among fans... you can control it kinda. They aren't winging it but the plan is also not super mapped out and rigid. They will follow the best opportunities that fit certain themes.

You’re getting into semantics now. “Process” was just simply meant to mean “rebuilding” in the above posts.
I asked what the process was and that's what I got as an answer. "Rebuilding" can mean absolutely anything.

Getting lucky is what it is about. Stacking the deck as best you can. "The Process" for Philly was lose a lot to enhance your chances at getting lucky.
Yes, it was. And that's not what the Jazz have done. On one day the message is "we can go and get two superstars!!!", on another it's "hell yeah, let's get in the playoffs" and then the actual actions are a hodge-podge of mis-matching and questionable moves.

They aren't winging it but the plan is also not super mapped out and rigid. They will follow the best opportunities that fit certain themes.
So, what are these themes?

Under what theme does John Collins fit? Or whatever it is that we've done with Kessler this year? What theme is Sexton?

It all feels like someone at the roulette table at 3 AM that just spreads their chips on the table and no-one, even themselves, can figure out what they're doing.

I asked what the process was and that's what I got as an answer. "Rebuilding" can mean absolutely anything.

Yes, it was. And that's not what the Jazz have done. On one day the message is "we can go and get two superstars!!!", on another it's "hell yeah, let's get in the playoffs" and then the actual actions are a hodge-podge of mis-matching and questionable moves.

No disagreement there. I've also learned the FO is full of **** so I don't trust em.

Under what theme does John Collins fit? Or whatever it is that we've done with Kessler this year? What theme is Sexton?

It all feels like someone at the roulette table at 3 AM that just spreads their chips on the table and no-one, even themselves, can figure out what they're doing.
I think they are making moves that are mostly focused long term and value hunting. The Collins deal was dumb. Said so at the time. I think they got high on their supply and thought they could do some version of the Lauri glow up. I said all along the "profit" on any Collins deal needed to be on the front end. So get your pick then.

The theme is value hunting and kicking the can down the road until the opportunity comes or until one of the picks blows up, but the cost is making the older guys a bit testy and not getting the best shots with your own picks. At some point they need to shift towards building an actual team or doing a proper tank.

I think they have made a handful of mistakes and miscalculations. I don't think its quite winging it but I get why it looks that way.

Rebuilding means what it says, rebuilding - nothing more. You seem to be looking for more meaning to it, like different ways to rebuilt etc. The point Locke made was we have to see the rebuilding (whatever way it's done) happen over time before we can say how successful it was. If you leave the movie theater after the first 15 minutes, you can't tell if the movie was any good because you didn't watch the whole thing.

Presti got lucky as hell he had Westbrook who was able to recruit PG, who then got recruited by Kawhi so they had to overpay because it was essentially a trade to get Kawhi and PG.

Great GM, but man he has had some stuff gift wrapped for him. DA put in work for the Gobert/Mitchell trades
Oh not to mention when it was time to trade Russ, Harden was demanding Houston to get him.

They have experienced a disproportionate amount of circumstantial luck in their rebuild.