What's new

Marc Gasol could be our best option...

Who do you see as the Jazz best option at the backup 5?

• Derrick Favors

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Aron Baynes

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Marc Gasol

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Frank Kaminsky

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Mason Plumlee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meyers Leonard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pistons will probably decline picking up Thon Makers qualifying offer, making him a free agent. On a minimum deal similar to what they did with Mudiay, I would like to see the Jazz take a flyer on him. He is super skilled with great size but needs an environment that can nurture his skills. He would be a great reclamation project with great upside.

+1. He's a 3 and D center, that could be just what we need for our 2nd unit. Actually if there was a way we could get Baynes for our 2nd unit, and Maker for our 3rd unit - that would be ideal.

The Heat have Bam, Kelly Olynik and Leonard Meyers - why shouldn't we have 3 semi-decent 5s? We should.

I'm a proponent of the idea that the Jazz should sign/draft multiple wing sized players.

Sure, if we added Gasol or Favors it would be a big upgrade at backup 5. They are more consistent and effective than Tony Bradley or Juwan Morgan.

But the bigger upgrade to the roster overall would be if we could add two wing sized guys to the rotation who add depth, defense and lineup versatility. We need more guys who can play 2-4 and contribute to POSITIVE lineups. Bogey is a great offensive player who plays well next to Rudy. But he's a limited defender. Joe has a role that's constantly changing and is often asked to do too many things. He struggles when both Donovan and Mike are on the floor and we have limited other options to try next to those two. Royce is being asked for too much defensively. And beyond those three we have no wing sized players who have proven they should be on the floor. Niang is just too one dimensional. Oni and Brantley haven't proven themselves. We just aren't deep or versatile enough 2-4 .

Look at teams like the Raptors and Heat. Their recent success stems in large part from wing sized depth and versatility.

I assume they will try to address multiple roster issues this off-season. I think we all agree that our starters are Mitchell-Bogey-Gobert. Everything else on this team needs help. Athletic defensive wings who can also hit shots are our biggest need. This thread was about the backup 5 spot, not to imply that's the only thing that needs fixing.

I'm a proponent of the idea that the Jazz should sign/draft multiple wing sized players.

Sure, if we added Gasol or Favors it would be a big upgrade at backup 5. They are more consistent and effective than Tony Bradley or Juwan Morgan.

But the bigger upgrade to the roster overall would be if we could add two wing sized guys to the rotation who add depth, defense and lineup versatility. We need more guys who can play 2-4 and contribute to POSITIVE lineups. Bogey is a great offensive player who plays well next to Rudy. But he's a limited defender. Joe has a role that's constantly changing and is often asked to do too many things. He struggles when both Donovan and Mike are on the floor and we have limited other options to try next to those two. Royce is being asked for too much defensively. And beyond those three we have no wing sized players who have proven they should be on the floor. Niang is just too one dimensional. Oni and Brantley haven't proven themselves. We just aren't deep or versatile enough 2-4 .

Look at teams like the Raptors and Heat. Their recent success stems in large part from wing sized depth and versatility.
Niang is 1/2 dimensional at best.