What's new

Marcus Smart Turned The Jazz Down For A Workout Four Times

From that article:

It's part of the game being played by Smart and his agent, but it is notable that the Jazz have been unable to bring in a top-ten prospect with a week left before the draft.

Perhaps my reading comprehension needs work, but aren't Randle, Vonleh and Gordon all top ten prospects who have worked out for the Jazz in Utah?

That is incredibly dumb on his part. Incredibly.

I've had Smart close second to Randle at 5 throughout the entire pre-draft period. There have been questions about his character and overall intelligence that I've disregarded for the most part. This move makes me wonder if I was giving him too much credit.

Very dumb indeed. And disappointing.

From that article:

Perhaps my reading comprehension needs work, but aren't Randle, Vonleh and Gordon all top ten prospects who have worked out for the Jazz in Utah?

Yeah.. I thought maybe they meant to say, "within" rather than "with."

but i dunno.. sounds dumb.

I've had Smart close second to Randle at 5 throughout the entire pre-draft period. There have been questions about his character and overall intelligence that I've disregarded for the most part. This move makes me wonder if I was giving him too much credit.

Very dumb indeed. And disappointing.

The only thing that would make sense in the slightest would be if he had a promise from the Lakers or some other team he would rather play for.. but it would still be dumb, imo.

If either of them have a promise from Boston or L. A., then I can see why both Exum and Smart would put off working out for Utah. Better than 5 and they get more money, slip past 5 and they (hopefully on their part) end up landing in Boston or L. A.

Of course, if the Jazz were seriously considering one or both of them, but pass because they still have too many question and favor another player instead. . . it would be funny as hell to see one of them fall to Sacramento or Charlotte. They get really screwed in that instance. I don't think that either of those teams or situations are better for them than the Jazz would be.

It doesn't seem that dumb. Orlando, Lakers, Sacramento didn't spend a lotto pick on a point guard last year. If he comes here he either has to play a lot of minutes off the ball or behind Trey (unless we traded him, which he probably doesn't want to bet on). It's a bummer but he probably knows what he's doing

It doesn't seem that dumb. Orlando, Lakers, Sacramento didn't spend a lotto pick on a point guard last year. If he comes here he either has to play a lot of minutes off the ball or behind Trey (unless we traded him, which he probably doesn't want to bet on). It's a bummer but he probably knows what he's doing

If he's afraid of playing behind Burke..

(no slight to Trey, either, it's just that he's not a revered PG or anything)

Sucks that he is not interested in working out for the jazz. Does this 'jazz not interested in Smart' has something to do with it though? Maybe after the media found out, the Jazz finally start calling his agent and Smart said no?

If he's afraid of playing behind Burke..

(no slight to Trey, either, it's just that he's not a revered PG or anything)

yeah it's true. But compared to the Lakers or Magic it's significant. Also, he had a lot of respect for Trey a year ago, and he mentioned him as one of the reasons he went back for sophomore year, so he probably thinks Trey is better than Trey actually is.

Sucks that he is not interested in working out for the jazz. Does this 'jazz not interested in Smart' has something to do with it though? Maybe after the media found out, the Jazz finally start calling his agent and Smart said no?

I think that the "Jazz not interested in Smart" was more of a media-fueled thing from player's side. Considering that the Jazz have made several overtures to have him work out for them suggests to me that the Jazz did in fact have some interest in him and were doing their due diligence. I can see why he'd refuse to come to Utah to work out (considering the potential PG situations in Boston, L. A. and Sacramento. . . but I don't think that the Jazz had ever really crossed him off their board like it's been suggested.

Smart is not the smartest guy.

Tweets that a team is not interested in him, without even knowing the whole story.

Then refuses to come into a workout for a team in the draft with the #5 pick.

Who knows though, maybe he has a promise from Orlando.