What's new

Marcus Smart vs Dante Exum... a bit of perspective

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
No, no Bill, I am not "looking around and and seeing Smart... and thinking why did we take that 18 year old kid who looks like a baby". This is a bit of a perspective on Exum's aggression when compared to Marcus Smart. Yes, Marcus Smart, the physical specimen that bullied everybody in college and was going to the line on a whim... Here's the numbers:

FTA/36
Dante: 1.4
Smart: 2.1

Shot distribution:
h50zNVY.jpg

Drives stats:
e8pDKiS.jpg

So Dante drives more, has better success on his drives, settles for less 3s, finishes more of his attacks around the rim and has higher success around the rim.

All that after Smart had 2 years in college and is widely considered physical monster at the PG spot. Even though their numbers are comparable, I think with Smart the main problem is lack of skill and lack of quick first step and change of pace to actually go to the rim, while with Dante it's inexperience and timidity. Dante is not even trying and is doing arguably better when it comes to drives and finishing around the rim(arguably a lot of Dante's finishes are from cuts and assisted dunks/layups)...

That still doesn't mean Dante is anywhere near what I wanted to see from him this year, but maybe it's much more understandable than I previously thought. My frustration has been quenched for now and I guess I will have to just wait and be patient with Dante... If the problems persist after the midpoint of next year, we will probably be more justified in our worries. For now, I hope it's just growing pains and getting used to the physicality and pace of the league.

He did a little bit before he hit his slump. Kid has only played 25 games in a season before this year against HS kids. It it a huge change in competition and the physical toll. Playing for Australia and the preseason games was basically more games than he had played in one year. He is hitting a wall and hitting it hard right now.

Jazz fans need to stop being a bunch of ******* and accept the fact that when you draft a teenager you get a teenager. Every once in a generation or so you get someone under 20 who can play like an all-star at an NBA level (e.g. Magic Johnson, LeBron James). The rest of them next 3 to 4 years to mature.

Exum is doing fine - at worst, within 3 years he'll be the top tier defender, pass first PG that we've all been pining for since DWill . At best he'll be a franchise player. In the meantime you just have to live with the growing pains.

I have a hard time finding NBA players who have had stats quite as bad as Dante Exum's. True he is young but we cannot use that excuse every year. This year it ok to use but hopefully he improves.

Ayyy who cares?

Gobert can win a championship by himself. The players around him are just filler.

Jazz announce Gobert will start... Jazz also announce they have signed JP Gibson to a real contract and will be starting him along with the 3 hottest Nu Skin Dancers for the rest of the year.

Gobert has also announced that the Jazz will be taking home the championship trophy... the other teams have decided it is in their best interest to forfeit.

Exum is doing fine - at worst, within 3 years he'll be the top tier defender, pass first PG that we've all been pining for since DWill . At best he'll be a franchise player.

I usually find your commentary objective and accurate. I find this, however, to be overly optimistic.

I remember asking Locke on his Tip/Off if Exum was shying away from contact and how shy he was in practices and how would that translate to real games. Locke said no worries. What a disappointment that was.

My response offended you somehow? o_O

Edit: I'm thinking you must've misinterpreted what I said. I was agreeing with you that we haven't seen enough to justify candrew's expectations.

It didn't offend me. I just wasn't sure what you meant by it. Now I see. Thanks for clarifying brotha.

No, no Bill, I am not "looking around and and seeing Smart... and thinking why did we take that 18 year old kid who looks like a baby". This is a bit of a perspective on Exum's aggression when compared to Marcus Smart. Yes, Marcus Smart, the physical specimen that bullied everybody in college and was going to the line on a whim... Here's the numbers:

FTA/36
Dante: 1.4
Smart: 2.1

Shot distribution:
h50zNVY.jpg

Drives stats:
e8pDKiS.jpg

So Dante drives more, has better success on his drives, settles for less 3s, finishes more of his attacks around the rim and has higher success around the rim.

All that after Smart had 2 years in college and is widely considered physical monster at the PG spot. Even though their numbers are comparable, I think with Smart the main problem is lack of skill and lack of quick first step and change of pace to actually go to the rim, while with Dante it's inexperience and timidity. Dante is not even trying and is doing arguably better when it comes to drives and finishing around the rim(arguably a lot of Dante's finishes are from cuts and assisted dunks/layups)...

That still doesn't mean Dante is anywhere near what I wanted to see from him this year, but maybe it's much more understandable than I previously thought. My frustration has been quenched for now and I guess I will have to just wait and be patient with Dante... If the problems persist after the midpoint of next year, we will probably be more justified in our worries. For now, I hope it's just growing pains and getting used to the physicality and pace of the league.

I wonder how much the fact that Exum seems to be on a downward trajectory and Smart on an upward trajectory plays into it. Exum, in the month of Decemeber shot 41% FGs and 38% 3pt. In January those numbers have dipped to 31% FGs and 24% 3pt. Marcus Smart on the other hand is at 44% FGs and 43% 3pt in January and has 5 or more assists in 4 straight games and doube figure scoring in 3 of 7.

What have you done for me lately matters, whether right or wrong.

Jazz announce Gobert will start... Jazz also announce they have signed JP Gibson to a real contract and will be starting him along with the 3 hottest Nu Skin Dancers for the rest of the year.

I'd watch that team. Nobody would want to be the player who got his points against JP and anytime I get more Chelsea count me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't wait until he realizes that he probably can do that against almost anybody in the league:

[gfy]ShimmeringCarelessGreyhounddog[/gfy]