What's new

Marvin Williams Back?

jazzrule

Someone tell me why we want Marvin Williams back? Serious question.

First - did he do much of anything after the trade deadline last year? His last game was against Dallas and he had 0 pts, 0 reb., 0 ast. in 8 minutes on April 8. He only played in 66 games. He did shoot decent percentages of .439 FG% and .359 on 3P%.

Second, I really did not like his defensive play against power forwards. I felt like he gave up more points than he scored, so playing as a stretch 4 hurt us I think. Yes I know his shooting opened up the floor some for other players. I do not like him much as a small forward, and feel he is below average league wise there. We have better small forwards on the roster now.

Third, he is below league average on assist per game (1.2 per game), so he is not a good passer for a big. We are going to be running an offense like the Spurs, so the bigs should be better passers. Of course Favors and Kanter are not great passers at this stage of their careers either. Work on that coaches.

I realize there are worse players in the NBA, but don’t you think there are better stretch 4s out there than Marvin? Unless our goal is to tank again, I do not want Marvin back. If we are ready to start trying to win again, give me a better player please.

Your thoughts.

He was really good the first half of the season. Second half his minutes started to decline, and the fact that the jazz were tanking couldn't have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never wanted the guy last year but we had no choice because of his contract. All he did was slow the development of the young guys in my opinion and hurt the tank. We might have Jabari now if it weren't for him. But then Exum might turn out better. We'll have to wait and see.

Never wanted the guy last year but we had no choice because of his contract. All he did was slow the development of the young guys in my opinion and hurt the tank. We might have Jabari now if it weren't for him. But then Exum might turn out better. We'll have to wait and see.
Seriously? Playing Williams less would have resulted in 11 fewer wins?

There is room on the team for bringing back Marvin and playing him 15-20 mins off the bench. Since he can play both forward positions, he's good injury insurance. What if Kanter goes down for a few games? Evans starts? Or Favors moves to PF and Gobert plays 48 mins? And if Hayward misses a few games? The only other SF we have on the roster is Hood.

I think he is worth looking into for a number of reasons:

- High character guy, good locker room guy

- Wants to be in Utah

- Willing to play a back up role

- Vet player on a very young team

- Decent player

- Decent contract (more than likely)

- Can play the 3 or the 4 adding to the Jazz versatility.

- Decent defender

- Not necesarrily a "tank" year but this team is to young to win this year. Marvin plays into giving the youth their free reign

Worth looking into and talking to his agent at least.

Someone tell me why we want Marvin Williams back? Serious question.

First - did he do much of anything after the trade deadline last year? His last game was against Dallas and he had 0 pts, 0 reb., 0 ast. in 8 minutes on April 8. He only played in 66 games. He did shoot decent percentages of .439 FG% and .359 on 3P%.

Second, I really did not like his defensive play against power forwards. I felt like he gave up more points than he scored, so playing as a stretch 4 hurt us I think. Yes I know his shooting opened up the floor some for other players. I do not like him much as a small forward, and feel he is below average league wise there. We have better small forwards on the roster now.

Third, he is below league average on assist per game (1.2 per game), so he is not a good passer for a big. We are going to be running an offense like the Spurs, so the bigs should be better passers. Of course Favors and Kanter are not great passers at this stage of their careers either. Work on that coaches.

I realize there are worse players in the NBA, but don’t you think there are better stretch 4s out there than Marvin? Unless our goal is to tank again, I do not want Marvin back. If we are ready to start trying to win again, give me a better player please.

Your thoughts.

My thoughts are you are being an *** to a guy who gave Utah a lot, never complained, accepted whatever role was assigned to him, & was a role model to very young teammates.

Marvin has that Paul Millsap character. I wish him well.

My thoughts are you are being an *** to a guy who gave Utah a lot, never complained, accepted whatever role was assigned to him, & was a role model to very young teammates.

Marvin has that Paul Millsap character. I wish him well.

Seriously guys I understand Williams didn't set the world on fire with his play, but we were much better with him on the floor than Kanter. Depending on the numbers I would love to have him back. By all accounts he is a class act and hard worker. We have a lot of young impressionable guys in the locker room and having good veterans that are happy to be here and mentor is very important.

Quinn does have to agree not to start him, because we have to know if Kanter and Favors works this year so that we can either move on or know the direction we are headed.

I like Williams and would like to see him back as a SF. Although he did play nice defense last season he also got the crap beaten out of him by PFs. I don't see that being sustainable. But he did it because the Jazz asked him to. If he doesn't re-sign I hope he has success with another team because he does deserve it.

Seriously guys I understand Williams didn't set the world on fire with his play, but we were much better with him on the floor than Kanter. Depending on the numbers I would love to have him back. By all accounts he is a class act and hard worker. We have a lot of young impressionable guys in the locker room and having good veterans that are happy to be here and mentor is very important.

Quinn does have to agree not to start him, because we have to know if Kanter and Favors works this year so that we can either move on or know the direction we are headed.

To be honest I do not want Snyder to make any promises to anyone about their role or playing time. I want to see what his talent evaluation skills are and his natural isntincts.

Plays defense, doesn't demand the ball, shoots well from the corner. H's an almost prototypical 3-and-D guy. Why wouldn't we want him back?

Makes sense to me. Solid post, Eric.

This electronic post has been constructed, arranged and transmitted via an Apple branded communication device using the Tapatalk application.

Thanks everyone for your input, even Franklin that called me an ***. I will feel a little better now if they bring him back.

I actually wanted him back until we drafted Hood. I still wouldn't mind him back, for all of the reasons Stoked provided.

I differ with you on that last paragraph.

It is my hope we are not tanking this year. I say coach plays whoever gives us the best chance to win. If a young player isn't good enough to beat out another player then he better get better fast and work on his game. No need to baby players. Nobody is entitled to minutes, they need to earn them not have them handed to them on a silver platter because of the word "potential".

If we sign Marvin I am fine with it. As he fits exactly what we need as a back up 3/4.

If he starts over Kanter and they start playing small ball again........I will personally go bunch Snyder in the balls.

Seems to make sense to re-sign Marvin though.
Jazz have no vets on roster right now.
Marvin has played with Jazz.