What's new

Mathews signs offer sheet w/Blazers (5 yrs/34 mil)

For how good Matthews was in his first year, to not think that he will get better over time isn't smart. I think for 5 years at basically 5m a year may seem like much now, but in 2 years 5m would probably be a steal for what the kid could/will do.

It's also quite reasonable to think he won't improve a terrible amount. Things that young players tend to need to improve on is basketball IQ, reading NBA defenses and offenses, and strength. Matthews strengths are those three things, because he's an old rookie. The only thing I can think of that he could drastically improve is his ball handling and passing.

Pathetic? How so? Not overpaying for Boozer?

It's not the money that I'm complaining about, it's the timid approach they've taken. Yes, I am a fairly big Booz AND Kyle homer and would have loved to see both of them back. Unfortunately, I knew from the start that wasn't likely and I understand that the hands of the organization were tied in terms of offering that money. It's the way they are going about the free agency procedure that bothers me. I have been pretty close to a fairly prominent source the last few weeks (not trying to pull an IJM here) and the things he's told me have disappointed.

On the night of free agency, there were 10 playoff teams and another 5 bottom feeders/on the brink teams that called Kyle. The Jazz were the last one. Their excuse for not getting a hold of him sooner? They "lost" his phone number. Please, that doesn't happen.

I was told that the Jazz were working vigorously to keep Booz, but as soon as they heard the first offer they didn't want to get in a bidding war and essentially backed out.

With Wesley, I feel like they could have been more proactive about contract talks with him rather than sitting around and waiting for somebody else to set his market value way too high. Now maybe he was already thinking big and that's why they ended talks with him, but I wish they would have been a little more aggressive.

My problem isn't that the Jazz didn't overpay for these players, it's the scared puppy/wait and see approach that I have issues with.

"It's also quite reasonable to think he won't improve a terrible amount. "

What has happened this off season to make you think anything reasonable would happen?

The Jazz will match. The Jazz didn't overpay Korver so that they would have the ability to overpay Matthews. Also, the 5 for 25 is an estimate that the Jazz are "bracing for".

- The Jazz are the franchise that gave this undrafted rokkie a chance to play in the NBA.
- The Jazz are the team that decided to send Ronnie Brewer -who is not an all-star caliber player but a respectable starter in NBA- because they respected and find the potential of this kid reliable.
- I'm not saying that Wes should turn any offer down and accept the offer of Jazz but I think he should not make the money a big problem as long as the contract is for 4-5 years and is about 3.5-4.5 mil per year. Do not forget Wes... You could have not even guaranteed that you was going to be a top10 draft pick in 2010 draft. Now you're asking for MORE and MORE money?

25 million for 5 years is a great deal for Wes. He shoots, defends, drives something the Jazz haven't had at the 2 for a LONG time! maybe that is way jazz fanz are thinking they should let him go. Besides the Jazz have $16,452,000 million coming off of the books either by trade or at the end of the year. They can do a lot with that! Wes is a must, let him go and even I think it will be impossible to keep Deron.

Jazz didnt even bother giving Korver an offer. And looks like Porty has started their games with the Jazz again. Now you have to match whatever they give Wes. Otherwise you lost both Wes and Korver for nothing. If the Jazz match this, they will make this look like some great accomplishment much like how they made their Millsap match last offseason sound like some franchise changing move

It's not the money that I'm complaining about, it's the timid approach they've taken. Yes, I am a fairly big Booz AND Kyle homer and would have loved to see both of them back. Unfortunately, I knew from the start that wasn't likely and I understand that the hands of the organization were tied in terms of offering that money. It's the way they are going about the free agency procedure that bothers me. I have been pretty close to a fairly prominent source the last few weeks (not trying to pull an IJM here) and the things he's told me have disappointed.

On the night of free agency, there were 10 playoff teams and another 5 bottom feeders/on the brink teams that called Kyle. The Jazz were the last one. Their excuse for not getting a hold of him sooner? They "lost" his phone number. Please, that doesn't happen.

I was told that the Jazz were working vigorously to keep Booz, but as soon as they heard the first offer they didn't want to get in a bidding war and essentially backed out.

With Wesley, I feel like they could have been more proactive about contract talks with him rather than sitting around and waiting for somebody else to set his market value way too high. Now maybe he was already thinking big and that's why they ended talks with him, but I wish they would have been a little more aggressive.

My problem isn't that the Jazz didn't overpay for these players, it's the scared puppy/wait and see approach that I have issues with.

Timid? They have no cap space, competing with teams with oodles of cap space.

So what if they didn't call Kyle the first night? Who cares? If they would have made a similar offer he would have stayed most likely... Not calling the first night.. wow people are getting desperate.

How do you know Matthews didn't want to see what was out there NO MATTER what the Jazz offered? What did he have to lose? Milsap did the same thing. Most restricted FA do. Redick did the same thing.

Well......**** the Blazers. That seems like way too much for Mathews. I don't want him back at that price tag. They would be better off using their TPE's and getting a real starting SG instead of a backup for starter money.

WOW, we just lost our entire freaking team...So far I've heard we talked with Al harrington and Udonis haslem?!?!?! We just lost boozer, our 2nd best player, korver, matthews...did I forget anyone? We aren't the only ones NOT doing anything though...Only a handful of teams are powerhouses, everyone else will just be watching...What's our strategy for the future? Are we already in rebuilding mode? What a depressing off season

I'm kinda surprised that it's goin to the formal offer stage. Aren't there some potential advantages for Matthews if he signs directly with the Jazz, rather than presenting them with an offer to strictly match or reject? I hope this isn't some heavily front-loaded deal the Blazers are makin.

You are exactly right. Offer sheet always has some kind of poison pill, to make it harder for the team with the rights to a player to keep him. Basically the offer will be the most possible amount first year (including sign in bonus, etc, and then less money following years). Best way for us would be to give Wes a fair deal, negotiate with him, and then have the contract distributed favorably by having least money possible first year, since we are close to tax, and then more following years. But that would mean we actually would have to negotiate with the guy and give him a fair deal. You know, work your behind pretty hard and be willing to pay fair value as opposed to hoping no one else will, so you keep someone for below market value. Jazz lately has been reluctant to do that.

You have to keep in mind that once high draft picks escape from the involuntary servitude forced upon them by their union "brethren," they tend to sign for max, or near-max, money for the next 5-6 years (if they have proven themselves to be worthy of a top 2-3 pick, at least.

. Do not forget Wes... You could have not even guaranteed that you was going to be a top10 draft pick in 2010 draft. Now you're asking for MORE and MORE money?

Wesley is being OFFERED more and more money. There's a difference. Besides, whatever he can get he should go for.

Jazz have no one to blame but themselves for the mess they have gotten themselves into. They sit on thier hands and wait for the market to set the price for thier players. If they would just go out and try and offer Wesley a $3.5 or $4 million dollar contract he probably would have taken it. But instead they told him the same thing they told Milsap - "go find another team to set your value." Now they can expect to pay $5.8 for him if they decide to match. You would think they would learn from the Milsap experience but this is what happens when you have farmers and hicks running a "professional" franchise.

Also, I find it funny that we are in talks with Udonis Haslem and trying to sign him. Jazz had the opportunity to trade Boozer for him but did not take it. Now they are left with a 13 million dollar trade exception to go along with three other trade exceptions that will not be used because they a) do not want to spend the money and b) risk going into the luxury tax. Furthermore, they lucked out on getting the TPE with Boozer as the Bulls did not have to agree to do that trade. KOC lets all the other GM's do his work for him, heaven forbid he actually earns his salary and goes out and tries to shake things up a little bit.

The Jazz also lost a 2nd rounder in the Boozer S&T deal and considering that 2nd rounders are the only thing KOC is good at drafting I'm sure it will come back to haunt us one way or another as our front office does not know how to draft in the 1st round.

We've held on to AK for so long that he has become an enigma within our franchise. He is a major cause for what has took place these last few years. When you have a broken player that is being paid the max yet only plays half of a season year round and does not produce near enough for what he is being paid for you quickly realize what is wrong in the NBA. NBA players should be fired if they don't produce just like in real life. NBA is disgusting, yet I love basketball and I love the Jazz but rest assured its one of many reasons why I'm going to hell.

Is it just me or are the nba players getting really really overpaid...Haywood got 55 mil! Travis outlaw gets 7 mil a year?!!? Boozer at 80 is a bargain...

Jazz have no one to blame but themselves for the mess they have gotten themselves into. They sit on thier hands and wait for the market to set the price for thier players. If they would just go out and try and offer Wesley a $3.5 or $4 million dollar contract he probably would have taken it.

Per Siler:

"Since he's a restricted free agent, Jazz declined to offer full MLE and told him to find from another team. They can match, remember."

Looks like the 3.5-4 M wouldn't have been accepted.

Sorry to burst your bubble on that one.