What's new

Mathews signs offer sheet w/Blazers (5 yrs/34 mil)

Matthews was my favorite player last year. With that said have fun in Portland. If the front office matches that offer they are dumber than I thought. Let Matthews go and use the Hapring TPE to get a wing and the Boozer TPE to get a front court player if at all possible. Oh and here's a thought, if you haven't been trying to trade AK's toxic contract like you should have done years ago when you could have gotten Shawn Marion or even last year for TMac's contract maybe you should start working on that. Last time I checked a player that averages 11 points a game does not warrant an 18 million dollar contract but what do I know...I'm just a jazzfanz homer.

No, but Matthews has shown that he can be a decent starter.

Utah should've known to offer more than a 1-year deal originally.

He only made the roster because Korver was hurt. The Jazz couldn't have possibly realized where Matthews would have ended up when he first signed the contract at the beginning of the year.

Maybe Jazz do the same thing when they signed Millsap. Every one thought they wouldn't. But Jazz dumped salaries during the season to save money.

Maybe Jazz do the same thing when they signed Millsap. Every one thought they wouldn't. But Jazz dumped salaries during the season to save money.

Last year it was more to do with the luxury tax than the value of the contract to the player. I think many felt Millsap's contract was a little too high for his value, and it put the Jazz over the tax, which made it seem like the Jazz would decline.

In this case, it's all about the value of the contract to the player. The Jazz won't be near the tax if they match. Can use the bi-annual with no issues. Question is he worth 7 million a year with a near 10 million dollar up front payment?

I would have to say no.

so can we sign him and trade him somewhere for a big guy?

If I remember right when Millsap signed the offer sheet, he couldn't be traded to the team that he signed the offer sheet to for a year, and something like 90 days he had the right to refuse a trade elsewhere. He also can not be packaged in a deal.

I'm definitely pulling this out of thin air, so I don't know if this is true or not. The only thing I remember stoutly is that he couldn't be traded to the Blazers for some time.

Can the Jazz sign European players ? I mean, if the main goal is to fill the holes of the roster, why not scout the European talents and give them 1-2 year contracts? As a Euroleague follower, I feel like there are some very talented and physically equipped bigmen who can play backup role better than nearly every summer league player. Not expect another Scola but would be at least as tough and competitor as him.

Exactly. What leverage did Matthews have? None. He HAD to find out what his market was for the Jazz to bump up their offer at all.

Matthews: I want the full MLE
KOC: Based on what? We can go 4y/16M. How about that?
Matthews: No. I know I can get more
KOC: Ok. That's fine. You have every right to explore what is out there. However, we have the right to match any offer so if you'd like to explore what's out there, we'd be happy to consider offering you the same thing.

Okay, Matthews was a bad example. I was under the impression that they had never offered him anything at all. You win. And I never said I wanted him to ONLY talk to the Jazz. I'm not complaining about the Matthews camp at all. I just want to see the Jazz trying to stay competitive by sitting back while their free agents are being signed. For example, I know for a fact Kyle would have re-signed for slightly less money than what was agreed upon with the Bulls. They weren't aggressive, they didn't try, and that's why he's gone. Where Booz is concerned, I know that the first contract offer to Booz was in the low $70mil range which, in my opinion, is more than reasonable for him, but the Jazz ducked out then. Now obviously everybody knew the bidding war would hike that up a little bit, but I think they should have at least tried to stay in the mix.

There's obviously plenty of time left in free agency, but to this point I've been extremely disappointed by the team's lack of aggression to stay competitive. If we let Wesley walk, along with the departure of Booz and KY, we're going to be ten games worse than last year. I just feel like they've handled their free agent situation poorly. Let's hope they turn things around.

Last year it was more to do with the luxury tax than the value of the contract to the player. I think many felt Millsap's contract was a little too high for his value, and it put the Jazz over the tax, which made it seem like the Jazz would decline.

In this case, it's all about the value of the contract to the player. The Jazz won't be near the tax if they match. Can use the bi-annual with no issues. Question is he worth 7 million a year with a near 10 million dollar up front payment?

I would have to say no.

This is exactly correct.

this has to be a joke. i read somewhere around 9 million the first year. have the full details of the deal come out? seriously wtf portland?? i love matthews and it makes me sad that i dont want to him back at all at that price.

heck with all the baby super stars now days ,stupid owners overpaying the players and they way the nba is going this sucks. Jazz need to just get a bunch of prison players to push people around .

I remember a film clip the year after Malone and Stockton were gone. Sloan was with the team made up of a few good players and a bunch of journeymen who had been cast off by other teams.

He told them they were going to do a lot better than most people thought they would. Everyone expected 10-20 wins, and the Jazz delivered 42.

Most of you guys see the glass as pretty empty. This team has a ton more talent than that team did, and I am confident they will surprise.

Not likely a championship team, but a solid team... likely in the playoffs, and very well positioned for the future.

Come on guys. This glass is way more than half full.

So is our starting SG not worth the MLE?

I know this deal isn't worth it for Portland, but is it worth it for a player that will start for us next season? Curious what y'all think.

I know this deal isn't worth it for Portland, but is it worth it for a player that will start for us next season? Curious what y'all think.

We have the great Hayward coming up. And no, Matthews is not worth that much money. He is replaceable.

Did you consider CJ our 'starting' 3 when AK was backing him up a year ago? Wes started because he was the best option to start with the players we had. If the Jazz were trying to start the best 5 guys on their roster, AK would have been in there, and the only argument would have been Miles/Matthews for the 2. In my book, that's not a 'starter.' In fact, the ideal situation would have been to find somebody better than Matthews and have Matthews back that guy up. As a backup at a reasonable contract, I LOVE Matthews.

You shouldn't think of it as "starting SG." Many factors determines who starts. James Donaldson started for the Jazz. You should think of it as "is Wesley Matthews worth the MLE for 5 years with a 9.2 million dollar upfront payment."