What's new

Matt Harpring Trade Exception

Hitman

Well, since there is nothing else to talk about, and since I am really, really bored at work, I went through ESPN's Trade Machine and made a list of all the players we could get with Harpring's TPE. The following is a list of all players in the league making between $2.7M and $6.5M who are not recent acquistions by their team and thus candidates for trade.

The lower cut-off of $2.7M is because we have a TPE from Brewer for that amount, anyone earning less than that we would use that exception for the trade. I excluded recent free agent signings, draftees, or players acquired through trade on the assumption the team wouldn't give these playes up for just a TPE (e.g. J Wall). I also excluded a couple of players otherwise eligible due to their salary (e.g. K Durant, J Noah, D Rose) because some trades will just never, ever, happen. BTW, if you are interested, the Trade Machine says acquiring Durant for Harpring's TPE would increase Utah's win total by 13 and decrease OKC's by 18. Git 'er done, KOC! :)

So, given that we could potentially acquire anyone on this list without giving up anyone on our current roster, and pretending that management doesn't bat an eyelid having to pay the luxury tax on the salary of whoever we acquire, which one of these players would you want to use the Harpring TPE to acquire?

ATL:
M Bibby
A Horford
Z Pachulia
M Williams

BOS:
G Davis
K Perkins

CHA:
D Diop

CLE:
D Gibson
J Moon
A Parker

DET:
J Maxiell
C Wilcox

MIL:
C Delfino

NJN:
K Humphries

NYK:
D Gallinari

ORL:
B Bass
M Gortat
M Pietrus

PHI:
W Green
L Williams

TOR:
M Banks
R Evans
J Jack

WAS:
A Blatche
A Thornton

DAL:
D Stevenson

DEN:
C Andersen

GSW:
B Wright

LAC:
E Gordon

LAL:
R Artest
S Vujacic
L Walton

MEM:
M Conley
M Gasol
OJ Mayo
H Thabeet

MIN:
C Brewer
J Flynn
K Love

NOR:
D Songaila

OKC:
D Cook
J Green
J Harden
N Krstic
T Sefolosha
R Westbrook

PHX:
G Hill

SAC:
F Garcia
C Landry
B Udrih

SAS:
A McDyess

thanks for putting this together. Still, though, I'd say more than 50% of these fit under the category of trades that "will just never, ever happen."

sticky?

M Gasol? N Kristic? Gortat?

How about getting back WMatthews in January? Sure he'd still be expensive (sort of) but the 9M or 10M bonus is now shouldered by Portland hehehe
AK slides back to backup PF.

You're right .. it's going to be a long wait for pre-season.

How about getting back WMatthews in January?
Well, there is a slight problem with that - the Harpring TPE expires on December 22. But this does mean that if a team has signed a Free Agent, and the FA isn't working out for some reason, and their salary is $6.5M or less, we could trade for them between December 15 (when they can be traded) and December 22 (when the TPE expires). I excluded this scenario when compiling the above list - this is just guys we could potentially acquire before the season starts.

The list of players eligible to be traded after December 15 in the right salary range would include Matthews, as well as Kyle Korver and Ronnie Brewer. It would also include everyone in a Miami uniform other than the Three Big Egos and Mario Chalmers. The most intriguing players on the list of players eligible to be traded on December 15, IMHO, are Jermaine and Shaq O'Neal. If Perkins is fit again by then, would Boston want to keep both O'Neals? Would either accept the role of third-string center?

I'll get off the b/u PG kick for a while; I have read we're lookin' for a b/u PF. I like Kris Humphries; good energy guy off the bench. Dunno if we'd want to use Harpring's expiring TE on him, but he's not too pricy and NJ might go for it...

probably unrealistic but M. Gasol or Thabeet would be okay. Thabeet is a huge project but has great size to hopefully be a very good defender going forward.

probably unrealistic but M. Gasol or Thabeet would be okay. Thabeet is a huge project but has great size to hopefully be a very good defender going forward.

Why would the Grizz trade the 2nd overall pick who has a ton of upside (yes, I know he was demoted and how crappy he was but he still has a ton of upside) for an exception and essentially nothing but salary relief? Delusional.

Why would the Grizz trade the 2nd overall pick who has a ton of upside (yes, I know he was demoted and how crappy he was but he still has a ton of upside) for an exception and essentially nothing but salary relief? Delusional.

Its the off season and we are all board. Delusional is the norm this time of year.

KoC supposedly has been nosing round for a b/u (as in cheap, 'serviceable') PF.
1. With Okur doubtful to start the Jazz season full bore, Jefferson seems like our C, leaving Millsap w/o a b/u unless it's AK. IMO, it's very risky to give AK much PT at PF with his small frame and injury history.
2. Vet PF Troy Murphy was just added to NJ's roster via trade.
3. Favors was drafted very high by NJ this year so is their future; surely he will get decent PT.
4. Brook Lopez and Petro are likely set at C, although Favors might see some action here.
5. Kris Humphries isn't likely to see the court much in NJ and probably could be had, and he's only $3.2 mil. Yeah, we could get a rookie FA a little cheaper on a 1 year deal, but it's unlikely Sloan would play him.
At least he has some actual game experience and is big on hustle stats; he can be a rebounding maniac off the bench...

Real GM indicates that the Rockets may not be done yet in the trading business. Courtney Lee is on a rookie K so he might be someone the Jazz could pick up along with a Rocket PF. They have a lot of them now.

No way we add more salary to the books.

I'm of that opinion, too. Just because the Jazz have the exception doesn't mean they'll use it. I doubt any teams will be looking to just dump a good player by Dec. 22nd. My opinion last season was that KOC (undoubtedly under pressure from Greg) pulled the trigger way too quickly on the Harpring salary dump. The Jazz already used the Boozer exception to get a player. They won't use the Harpring exception to add more 2x whatever the salary is to their books. The only deal they might be tempted to make is if they can trade AK in an uneven deal - i.e. get a starter for $10M or so, and $5.6M in expirings or players they can waive. Under the 110% rule, I beleive they'd only have to take back $15.6M in salaries in a deal. So Greg could potentially save $3M that way in salary/luxury tax.

Just because the Jazz have the exception doesn't mean they'll use it.
I agree - the whole point of the Maynor+Harpring trade was to dump salary and avoid paying as much tax as possible. By using the exception now, they would have just deferred the tax bill for a year. Hence the clause in my original post that we ignore the financial implications of using the exception.

I doubt any teams will be looking to just dump a good player by Dec. 22nd.
This I disagree with - it seems to me that every season there is at least one team who has buyer's remorse in winter as a result of a FA signing over summer.