What's new

McDonald’s ad

WOW! She hasn't aged a bit! I'll have what she is having.
I’m more shocked by the idea that in 14 years she went from crew member to training manager and that the PR department thought this was marketable, and that in an entire month nobody has thought, “Hey, yeah, this was a dumb tweet. Delete it.”

I’m more shocked by the idea that in 14 years she went from crew member to training manager and that the PR department thought this was marketable, and that in an entire month nobody has thought, “Hey, yeah, this was a dumb tweet. Delete it.”
Yeah, I get it. McDonalds is typically a fine tuned marketing machine. Surprising.

I never worked fast food. I wish I had when I was young. Society likes to dump on the positions, but a lot of those workers bust their butts. More so than the people I work with on the daily.

Yeah, I get it. McDonalds is typically a fine tuned marketing machine. Surprising.

I never worked fast food. I wish I had when I was young. Society likes to dump on the positions, but a lot of those workers bust their butts. More so than the people I work with on the daily.

Supermarket managers here make close to 200k. Most start as stock boys.

How it started: $8.35/hr Crew Member
How it's going 15 years later: $13.92/hr Training Manager
Eh, not in about a dozen states now. Cali min is $15 but most pay well over that.

$200k austr is what, $45k real money?

google says its about 128k however in terms of purchasing power Id say its closer to 85-90k, things are ****ing expensive here, median house price in Melbourne is around 900k, pint of beer is 13 or 14 dollars, cup of coffee is 4 to 5 bucks.

I do wish I had worked fast food. Well, not necessarily worked fast food, but had that experience in some fashion, to see things from that level. My dad did construction and so all growing up when I worked, and when I did work release in high school, it was just construction. In college I had a mall job that was dumb, but when I got married and for the rest of college I worked in a steel yard and warehouse. It was a fairly demanding job physically and won't detail it because it may sound like hyperbole, but it was much more intense than anything I did in construction to an exponential level and the amount of turn-over was gigantic. I think they actually had a system down where this job actually paid pretty well (relatively) and people would come in because of that, but nobody would last longer than a week. We usually ran a yard and warehouse crew of about 7-ish, and I believe there were probably 50-60 people that started and quit within a two year period. It filtered down to essentially be young guys who were married and had a wife and kid(s) at home and were motivated to keep that job (because of $$$) and that they'd put up with a lot of ****. The physical part wasn't really the bad part inasmuch as it was the culture and how you were treated. Anyway, that job gave me a lot of perspective on things and it did provide a lot of value (indirect and unintended value) and there've been other things I've thought would be interesting. Being a long-haul truck driver would be interesting. Certainly not in the way that I think that would be some great job, but just being able to have a certain perspective of being able to see and have a familiarity with the country in a different way that most people don't see. My profession now has certain changed the way I view the world. I can't quite say it's for the better but it's not necessarily for the worse. It's more like looking into the Matrix and getting past the dysphoria of it all to accept that we need to have an adequate appraisal of our situation to truly move forward.

But I do think working for McDonald's would have been an interesting thing because there would have been an underlying passion about the food and it always being a staple of life, as silly as that sounds.

I do wish I had worked fast food. Well, not necessarily worked fast food, but had that experience in some fashion, to see things from that level. My dad did construction and so all growing up when I worked, and when I did work release in high school, it was just construction. In college I had a mall job that was dumb, but when I got married and for the rest of college I worked in a steel yard and warehouse. It was a fairly demanding job physically and won't detail it because it may sound like hyperbole, but it was much more intense than anything I did in construction to an exponential level and the amount of turn-over was gigantic. I think they actually had a system down where this job actually paid pretty well (relatively) and people would come in because of that, but nobody would last longer than a week. We usually ran a yard and warehouse crew of about 7-ish, and I believe there were probably 50-60 people that started and quit within a two year period. It filtered down to essentially be young guys who were married and had a wife and kid(s) at home and were motivated to keep that job (because of $$$) and that they'd put up with a lot of ****. The physical part wasn't really the bad part inasmuch as it was the culture and how you were treated. Anyway, that job gave me a lot of perspective on things and it did provide a lot of value (indirect and unintended value) and there've been other things I've thought would be interesting. Being a long-haul truck driver would be interesting. Certainly not in the way that I think that would be some great job, but just being able to have a certain perspective of being able to see and have a familiarity with the country in a different way that most people don't see. My profession now has certain changed the way I view the world. I can't quite say it's for the better but it's not necessarily for the worse. It's more like looking into the Matrix and getting past the dysphoria of it all to accept that we need to have an adequate appraisal of our situation to truly move forward.

But I do think working for McDonald's would have been an interesting thing because there would have been an underlying passion about the food and it always being a staple of life, as silly as that sounds.

I worked in fast food when I was a teenager and it was by far the most fun I've had in a job. A very unserious environment, with lots of goofing off. Plenty of drama though.

The other nice thing is it took the tiniest amount of effort to go above and beyond the job expectations, like for example smiling and being nice to people. I did in many ways find those jobs rewarding, and if nothing else they taught me to be empathetic to the fast food workers I deal with.

I worked in fast food when I was a teenager and it was by far the most fun I've had in a job. A very unserious environment, with lots of goofing off. Plenty of drama though.

The other nice thing is it took the tiniest amount of effort to go above and beyond the job expectations, like for example smiling and being nice to people. I did in many ways find those jobs rewarding, and if nothing else they taught me to be empathetic to the fast food workers I deal with.

This. I worked at arctic circle when i was 16/17. It was fun. I have a few stories to tell if i get some time.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

This. I worked at arctic circle when i was 16/17. It was fun. I have a few stories to tell if i get some time.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
So I started working at Arctic Circle when I was 16 as a cook. There were three guys already working as cooks who were some of the scariest, hardest dudes I ever knew. They were known gangbangers. All tatooed up all over (this was like 30 years ago when tatoos weren't as common) and intimidating guys. All 3 had done time in juvenile detention (decker lake iirc) Not the best role models for me but it was what it was. I remember that they would take way more breaks than me and one day I asked them why they get so many breaks and they said its because smoke breaks dont count as breaks. So I was like **** it, im gonna start smoking then too. (I had smoked before but not often) So I became a regular smoker just for the breaks lol.
One time a customer ordered extra pickles on their burger. Standard amount was 3 pickle slices. I put like 7 or 8 or something on their burger. Well the customer complained and forced me to make them another burger. Hot tip: Dont piss off a 16 year old who dont give a ****. Anyway there was a fly flying around back in the kitchen. While this dudes burger was cooking I smacked the fly with my spatula. Then I put like 30 ****ing pickles on his burger and put the dead fly in there too. Again, dont piss off dudes making $4.25 per hour. We dont give a **** if we get fired.
I also used to always have some chicken fingers in the pocket of my apron to snack on and I would give them to friends that came in to the restaurant for free. I loved taking the taco meat for the taco salads and putting on my burgers. So good. We had one customer who owned 2 dobermans who would come through the drive thru and order 4 hamburgers uncooked with no bun or condiments or anything. Just 4 raw patties that he would give to his dobermans.
One time a customer was trying to start a fight with our drive thru operator. Bad idea. All us cooks came up front and ran out the door and to the vehicle. Dude rolled up his window and drove off but not before his truck got kicked a handful of times.

I loved working there. Pay sucked but I had a good time while at work and got as much free food as I wanted.

I had heaps of fun when I worked full time as a bouncer, i used to work the same pub got to know all the local and the staff became like family (over 20 years later im still friends with some) best way i can explain it was that it was like a country pub but in the city. We used to get up to so much ****, we'd pretty much all drink on shift, I used to smoke joints while doing the door, after work on Friday and Saturday we'd have lock-ins that could go for 5 or 6 hours. On top of that the pay for the time was pretty good, I was on 30 bucks an hour cash which decent at that time. I still look back on it fondly, but you can only work nights and every weekend for so long.

Nobody cares but I worked at A&W from 15-18 and I miss those days. Me and my best friend worked there together and we created a game of horse where we'd do trick shots kicking chunks of ice off of obstacles or around corners blind corners bounce it off of the vent hoods to land into the fryers. Water and the fryers didn't like each other obviously. My one buddy would come in and I'd hook him up with a 5-10 patty cheese burger and he would eat the entire thing. We were hellions as it was hardly ever busy so we would just do stupid **** all day. I think I made like $5.50 an hour and my paychecks were usually about $200 which was enough to get a bag of weed or two and a few 30 packs of keystone light.

Last edited: