What's new

Mehmet Okur is broken.

JoelHodgeJr

I was looking the waiver list on yahoo and saw that Mehmet Okur had a update icon next to his name. So I bit and took a look. This is what I read:

Sat, Feb 26

C Mehmet Okur (strained lower back) was re-injured Jan. 28 against Minnesota. He has inflammation in his chronically sore lower back. The former All-Star has been limited to 13 games this season and 12.9 minutes per game because of Achilles tendon surgery rehab, a mild ankle sprain and recurring back issues. Okur is rehabbing his back and will be out at least until being re-evaluated on Wednesday. He is not traveling with the team on a three-game trip that ends Saturday night at Detroit.

(Yahoo! Sports)

I thought to my self; this man sounds like he was just removed a Soccer riot. It was then that I realized that Mehmet Okur is broken and he's not ever going to get fixed.
(but I hope you do.)

I think I remember hearing that he has major issues with a bulging disc in his back or something like that. If that's true I think you're right. Anytime anything goes wrong with discs in the back, you're done. Especially if they are disintegrating discs.

I think I remember hearing that he has major issues with a bulging disc in his back or something like that. If that's true I think you're right. Anytime anything goes wrong with discs in the back, you're done. Especially if they are disintegrating discs.

qq1oqu.gif

this blows, i miss Memo! I think Deron did too before we traded him, those two had quite a chemistry.

Before the big trade and going into the season this team was designed with Memo. Things could be completely different right now had he been healthy, whether that's for better or worse in the long run.

That really sucks. I feel bad for Memo. We could really have used his outside shooting and center height this season. I would love to see him come back and play, but really just hope he heals up enough that he is not stuck with permanent pain. I can tell you that permanent back pain sucks on so many levels.

I have never liked his stiff posture when he runs, which is a sign of a bad low back. Sadly, I would not be surprised if we don't see him in a Jazz uniform again.

Memo's a good guy and I do feel somewhat bad for him. However, let's not overrate the oaf. Even if he were healthy, his defense and slow-as-molasses movement on the floor cancelled any advantage that was given to us by his ability to nail the occasional jumper and "spread the floor." I don't see any improvement to our club with the oaf on the floor, healthy and all.

Last edited:
Memo's a good guy and I do feel somewhat bad for him. However, let's not overrate the oaf. Even if he were healthy, his defense and slow-as-molasses movement on the floor cancelled any advantage that was given to us by his ability to nail the occasional jumper and "spread the floor." I don't see any improvement to our club with the oaf on the floor, healthy and all.

I have to agree with this assessment. At this point of time Al, Millsap, and Favors should get all the minutes. Even if Okur gets relatively healthy next year, I would rather see Favors get his minutes. Then maybe find a way to trade Okur's expiring contract for someone we can actually use.

And you're still over-rating him.

Okur has been broken for a while now. I don't really see how, though, being as slow as he is. Resigning/extending his contract was a noob move.

I think you are under-rating him. He is the all-time 3-pt shooter for the Jazz. His outside shooting is well-respected and the phrase "occasional jumper" is a joke for a player that routinely averaged in the high teens with decent FG percentage and was among the league leaders in 3-pt percentage as a 6'11" center. He would also have added some much-needed height and would have made AJ a better player as it would have given him a player that could actually play to be at center so AJ could play his normal spot at PF. Sure Memo is not the Great White Hope and he is very unlikely to ever be an all-star again, but true centers with shooting ability and decent rebounding skills who were good enough to make the all-star team are NOT a dime a dozen. To say he would not have helped us at all this season is silly. You mean in Fes's minutes even, having center who can hit a shot and play the offense and rebound and play ok defense against other bigs would not have been better than Fes? Or Elson? Get real.

To hear you guys talk Memo was barely worth being in the NBA and we simply tolerate his putrid play and won despite the fact that the guy was obviously one of the worst centers in the NBA. Memo was an integral part of a winning team, a major contributor. Was he the top center in the league? Of course not. But there are not many centers out there that can do what he did.

Here is a highlight vid just for fun from last season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzXgwMJI6D0

Last edited:
I was looking the waiver list on yahoo and saw that Mehmet Okur had a update icon next to his name. So I bit and took a look. This is what I read:

Sat, Feb 26

C Mehmet Okur (strained lower back) was re-injured Jan. 28 against Minnesota. He has inflammation in his chronically sore lower back. The former All-Star has been limited to 13 games this season and 12.9 minutes per game because of Achilles tendon surgery rehab, a mild ankle sprain and recurring back issues. Okur is rehabbing his back and will be out at least until being re-evaluated on Wednesday. He is not traveling with the team on a three-game trip that ends Saturday night at Detroit.

(Yahoo! Sports)

I thought to my self; this man sounds like he was just removed a Soccer riot. It was then that I realized that Mehmet Okur is broken and he's not ever going to get fixed.
(but I hope you do.)

....I told you guys okur was done, finished, kaput the minute he blew out his Achilles last year in the playoffs!

Okur has been broken for a while now. I don't really see how, though, being as slow as he is. Resigning/extending his contract was a noob move.

Not a noob move, Okur was spectacular in 2008/2009, and the Jazz had Fez and boom bitches backing him up....

That big fat extension he got is sure looking smart right now.

the Memo haters should be applauding the 2-year extension KOC gave him. how old was Memo when he signed that? 29? Haywood just got a 5 year contract at the same age (and promptly started playing like an arse). and somehow KOC got Memo to extend for just 2 seasons. he could be out of the NBA at age 32.

the Memo haters should be applauding the 2-year extension KOC gave him. how old was Memo when he signed that? 29? Haywood just got a 5 year contract at the same age (and promptly started playing like an arse). and somehow KOC got Memo to extend for just 2 seasons. he could be out of the NBA at age 32.

And then he'll move on to bigger and better things...
23yelizokur_display_image.jpg

Not a noob move, Okur was spectacular in 2008/2009, and the Jazz had Fez and boom bitches backing him up....

Everyone seems to forget that stretch where he was hitting 60% on his threes and the Jazz were unstoppable. Then Millsap injured both his knees (but played anyway because Boozer was out with a ingrown hair).

The contract hurts a bit in terms of cap space/luxuyr tax, but if he can't play next season, it will be covered by insurance. Memo would have contributed a LOT this season. Jazz were counting on decent outside shooting from Bell, CJ and Deron, but none of those guys were consistent.

Everyone seems to forget that stretch where he was hitting 60% on his threes and the Jazz were unstoppable. Then Millsap injured both his knees (but played anyway because Boozer was out with a ingrown hair).

The contract hurts a bit in terms of cap space/luxuyr tax, but if he can't play next season, it will be covered by insurance. Memo would have contributed a LOT this season. Jazz were counting on decent outside shooting from Bell, CJ and Deron, but none of those guys were consistent.

This. Memo's ability to stretch the defense was almost unparalleled on our current team as he almost always drew the big man from the basket. If they tried to cover with a smaller player he shot over them. If we had Memo running the pick and pop or spotting up and drawing out their center or PF AJ could work inside and it would be a much more effective tandem. On the defensive end he was better than most people give him credit for. Sure he was no Olojuwan, but he was able to stay in front of the bigger guys and helped on D. Last year he average a career high 1.1 blocks per game, and I believe career high in steals too. At least he would provide a center-sized presence defensively inside that would not be a liability on the other end the size of a dwarf planet.