What's new

Memo having bad luck, and other injury news

KatieMCR

Jazz's Okur (back strain) getting X-rayd. Status to be updated. ... Miles, AK game-time decisions vs. Blazers.

Link
Gotta feel bad for Memo. He's having some bad luck with injuries. I hope it's nothing serious.

I think it might have occurred on the inbounds play where he chucked up a 3 near the top of the key. He seemed to be limping after that play. But like I've said before, I tuned in late and missed most of this game.

Updates on Memo.

X-rays of Jazz's Okur (lower back strain) were negative. Will be re-evaluated Thursday.

Link
Great win for Jazz. Not a good sign for Okur. Achilles, sprained ankle and back strain since April.

Link
X-rays negative for Jazz's Okur; will be re-evaluated
Published on Dec 30, 2010 12:38AM 0 Comments

Los Angeles — Jazz center Mehmet Okur underwent an X-ray that was negative Wednesday after straining his lower back during a 103-95 Utah victory against the Clippers at Staples Center. He will be re-evaluated Thursday and his status for the Jazz's road game against the Portland Trail Blazers is unknown.

Okur finished with a season-high 13 points and grabbed three rebounds in the win versus the Clippers. The veteran reserve displayed his most confident outing of the season since returning from Achilles tendon surgery, recording 11 first-half points and initially serving as Utah's main offensive threat. But he left the game with 8 minutes, 15 seconds left in the fourth quarter and did not return. Jazz coach Jerry Sloan acknowledged that Okur dealt with back issues throughout the contest.

Okur has dealt with Achilles, ankle and back issues during the past eight months. He made his season debut Nov. 17 against New Orleans and has played in four games this season. After a slow, shaky start, Okur has recorded 19 points in Utah's last two contests while shooting 7 of 16 from the field.

— Brian T. Smith

Link

Glad it's nothing more. He looks like he needs to get his legs overall stronger, which will help relax his back. He was our key scorer in Q2 in yet ANOTHER creative lineup last night off the bench which bailed out the starters and got us back in the game:
PG Watson
SG Price
SF Millsap
PF Okur
C Fesenko

....it has nothing to do with "luck." The guy is just injury prone, has been, always will be.

How dumb or ignorant that post makes you CJ, I just cannot tell. I'm totally surprised. You seem to have something against Okur. You were one of the calamity howlers here who at that time obtruded that his career is over. I think you should just stop making comparisons between softies like Boozer and real injury prones like AK47 and Okur, who played through injuries numerous times in his career. Just give credit where it is, due. We're not fabricating anything that's unreal here, these are facts.

I dont know about anyone else but I was really impressed with Memo last night.

Via Locke in November: "Only 5 active NBA players 6'10 weighing more than 250 have played 85% of their games. Dwight, Zaza, Duncan, KG and Memo Okur"

Only one NBA player over 6'10 and 260 pounds who has been in the league for 3 years has played over 90% of his games -- Dwight Howard

Over the last 5 years players in the NBA 6'10 and above who weigh under 285 lbs play in 85% of their games. those over 285 play in 56%."

We are gonna have to be patient with Okur, and probably the same with Raja Bell. We forget sometimes that Raja missed all of last year.
Memo has missed 9 months. It's not easy to just jump back in, at their ages. But they are doing all they can and they will have setbacks.

Games played, per season:

02-03 72
03-04 71
04-05 82
05-06 82
06-07 80
07-08 72
08-09 72
09-10 73

I think you see what you want to see, CJ.

Thanks for posting those stats. I was pretty sure the comment was wrong about him being injury-prone, but I was too lazy to look up the stats. :)

I dont know about anyone else but I was really impressed with Memo last night.

Memo's shot was on last night. That was good to see. Also, loved how Jerry put Fes and Memo on the court together.
Loved that line up. Watch, we won't see it again for a long time....

If Memo's shot is on, and we add a decent defender to play along with him....we'll be in good shape.
Memo + AJ or Sap and AJ have huge defensive issues.

Via Locke in November: "Only 5 active NBA players 6'10 weighing more than 250 have played 85% of their games. Dwight, Zaza, Duncan, KG and Memo Okur"

Only one NBA player over 6'10 and 260 pounds who has been in the league for 3 years has played over 90% of his games -- Dwight Howard

Over the last 5 years players in the NBA 6'10 and above who weigh under 285 lbs play in 85% of their games. those over 285 play in 56%."

...based on these stats....he's virtually the "iron horse" of NBA big guys!

Memo's shot was on last night. That was good to see. Also, loved how Jerry put Fes and Memo on the court together.
Loved that line up. Watch, we won't see it again for a long time....

If Memo's shot is on, and we add a decent defender to play along with him....we'll be in good shape.
Memo + AJ or Sap and AJ have huge defensive issues.

perhaps Fes has moved ahead of Elson on the depth chart? most likely it will depend on matchups, but against bigger teams Fes should be out there ahead of Elson.

How dumb or ignorant that post makes you CJ, I just cannot tell. I'm totally surprised. You seem to have something against Okur. You were one of the calamity howlers here who at that time obtruded that his career is over. I think you should just stop making comparisons between softies like Boozer and real injury prones like AK47 and Okur, who played through injuries numerous times in his career. Just give credit where it is, due. We're not fabricating anything that's unreal here, these are facts.

....I don't have anything against Okur. I like him a whole lot more than I did Boozer. Maybe subconsciously I associate him with Boozer, thus having gotten rid of Boozer and his pathetic defense, I was looking to move on without Okur, too. Of course, you are fanatical in your love for him. So I will tread more carefully when discussing his plus and minuses as a contributor to the Jazz success!

We're okay without him. Rest him until he's healthy and he's a lot more valuable to us fully healthy than hobbled and even slower.

I think CJ got confused because Okur is always one of those guys who has that nagging back problem. He rarely misses extended time, but he will sit out a game or two from time to time with some small nagging injury. As far as serious injuries, he had never really gotten one until last year.