What's new

Memo the clutch man

Jbradshaw

I just dont see why so many people want memo off the team. Memo is not injury prone. The jazz biggest weakness is outside shooting and memo helps with that. He set the nba 3 point percentage record for the history of the nba in the month of march a couple seasons ago. He is clutch. I absolutely loved deron williams but as far as the actual game winning shot i would rather have memo shooting the shot instead of deron. The guy is clutch and he may not be as good as he used to be but we need his clutchness. Go jazz. Here is a poor quality video but it shows some great memories from the money man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPU1ENTW2O0

memo should stay a couple more years for a 4-5 million per year

I just dont see why so many people want memo off the team. Memo is not injury prone. The jazz biggest weakness is outside shooting and memo helps with that...The guy is clutch and he may not be as good as he used to be but we need his clutchness. Go jazz. Here is a poor quality video but it shows some great memories from the money man!
Have always loved me some Memo and he will rightfully go down as one of the most popular Jazzmen ever. His perimeter shooting created unique spacing that made everyone on the team better - from offensive rebounding lanes for Boozer and Harpring, to room on the baseline for Ronnie Brewer, to DWill-Boozer screenroll, to Deron-Memo pick&pop to close out games. Boozer torched Yao Ming to lead the Jazz to the WCF - and he was able to do that because Houston had to put Chuck Hayes on Memo because of the mismatch his 3pt shooting created.

That said, you can't deny the fact his body appears to be breaking down. He missed vitually all of the 2008-09 playoffs with a bad hamstring, missed all but 1-qtr of the 09-10 playoffs with the achilles, missed the first 26 games of 10-11 with the achilles and then shut it down for the last 34 games of the season - this time with a bad back (a bad back that also caused him to miss 10 games in 07-08).

memo should stay a couple more years for a 4-5 million per year

I do agree that the Jazz should let him play out his contract rather use the amnesty clause on him (I don't think Utah should spend significant $ on a FA this offseason regardless) but I don't think they should expect him to play a significant role with the young guys on the roster who need minutes. Regarding his "clutchness," this season isn't as much about winning as it is the time where we need guys like Hayward, Favors, Burks, Kanter, Al, Harris, Millsap to learn how to win and come through in the clutch situations on a consistent basis. Keep Memo on the roster this year, if you need him in spot duty he's available but when his contract expires I don't think he'll factor into Utah's plans. Also, I know this ultimately means nothing, but Memo's got alot of pride and I think it would mean alot for him to finish out his contract in Utah rather than be waived.

Memo's done great things for this franchise, but in every rebuilding phase you reach a point where have to move on.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Memo. While I understand if the Jazz cut him loose, it'll still make me sad. I have many fond memories of Memo. Class act all the way.

As they say, "Sh** happens, Memo Okurs."

I just dont see why so many people want memo off the team. Memo is not injury prone.
Except for the whole Achilles tendon thing that cost him (and the Jazz) most of a seaseon, including a re-aggravation, plus history of back pain, etc.

The jazz biggest weakness is outside shooting and memo helps with that.
Unfortunately, Memo doesn't usually help with interior defense, which partially or nearly totally offsets the outside-shooting strength, especially if other Jazz players on the court can shoot it from outside without such a defensive deficiency.

Do I think Memo is cool? Yes. Would I trade my life for his? Probably. But should have the Jazz renewed him for $10ish million per?

Not he, Jerfi.
https://turkishnamesfromturkey.blogspot.com/2009/03/j-turkish-boy-names-j.html

He's slow,a huge defensive liability on the court, and his 3 pt shooting isn't what it was when he first got here.

I'll take the other bigs over him any day of the week.

We will keep him this year as our backup center. Hopefully Kanter plays well enough to push Memo into the 5 big man spot (barring trades) behind Millsap, Jefferson, Favors and Kanter.

Memo will be a valuable bench player this year - it's a shame they have to pay him 10 mil; but whatever.

What they should do with him after this season is a complete unknown.

Love Memo's game, but if his expiring contract can be used in a trade to pick up a younger player that KoC deems would help the Jazz, it's KoC's job to pull the trigger. If that happens, it'll be a tough day for him and Jazz fans, but that's life. My choice would be to re-unite him with DWill in New Jersey...

50 bucks says Memo starts the first game this season, and by 50 bucks I mean "nothing".

-thanks a lot Archie for getting me going on these.

If Memo's your 4th big and being paid and played like he's Matt Bonner, then hell yes. Keep the **** out of him.

Any more money or priority of minutes than that and the situation goes from 'yes' to 'no, please god, no'. He's always been a player that is a luxury on a team that holds down the paint on D (Pistons) and a liability for a team that needs him to shore up the paint on D (Jazz).

As of right now, the Jazz have 4 bigs that are all better defenders than him, younger than him, and healthier than him. Hell, 3 of those 4 also cost less than him right now. In my crystal ball, Memo is not here. If someone in the bigs rotation gets traded away without another big coming back, then I see Memo staying in a marginalized (and idealized) role.

The bigs who should play are the bigs who can help us win. If that's Memo, it's Memo. And honestly, I'll be shocked if Kanter is a better option than Memo in his rookie year. For that matter, Memo's defensive liabilities might outweigh Favor's offensive liabilities a lot of the time. But the good news is Favors and Kanter's job is to make Memo obsolete. Hopefully they will.

I love Memo with all my heart. I hope he shows that he can still play this year. I would love to bring him back if he is willing to give us a "home-team discount". I hope he can at least have some classic Memo clutch moments.

Memo can't defend. The only center he defended well was Yao and that is because Yao is one of the few centers in the league who has slower lateral movement.

Memo was only clutch one year for a few months. And during that time I don't think I seen more clutch shots in my life (little bit of luck you think?).However, he was the opposite of clutch in the Spurs series and the two lakers series that sent us packing. He was terrible in those series. And his defense has always been terrible. Give me a defensive center and leave the three point shooting to the guards. He is a big softy. We never should have made him our center.

I love Memo with all my heart. I hope he shows that he can still play this year. I would love to bring him back if he is willing to give us a "home-team discount". I hope he can at least have some classic Memo clutch moments.

Memo was only clutch one year for a few months. And during that time I don't think I seen more clutch shots in my life (little bit of luck you think?).However, he was the opposite of clutch in the Spurs series and the two lakers series that sent us packing. He was terrible in those series. And his defense has always been terrible. Give me a defensive center and leave the three point shooting to the guards. He is a big softy. We never should have made him our center.

He still has some clutchness.

Anyone heard that he made a game winning three with nine seconds to go in his very last match while his team Telekom were down 81-80 against Karşıyaka in Eurochallenge. I would like to post a video of it but I couldn't find any. He fisnished that game with 14 pts, 10 rbs and an assist.

Anyway here is the total numbers of him in his 14 game with Telekom.

213 pts in total,
55/108 in 2 pts,
19/48 in threes,
46/60 in free throws,
117 rebos,
12 assists,
9 blocks.

All in all I want him to stay as a mentor to Kanter. Because Memo is a hardworking guy and also can help to make Enes OK there in Utah. So my amnesty pick is definetly not Memo.

Memo was only clutch one year for a few months. And during that time I don't think I seen more clutch shots in my life (little bit of luck you think?).However, he was the opposite of clutch in the Spurs series and the two lakers series that sent us packing. He was terrible in those series.
Disagree completely.
Memo scored 2 game-winners in 04-05 (both against San Antonio, who owned an 18 game winning streak over Utah at the time). He hit a game-winning three against Chicago in 05-06, carried Utah in OT against Charlotte as well as making 2 ridiculous off-balance last minute 3's to seal the season opening win against Dallas. We all know the numerous clutch FGs he nailed throughout his all-star season in 06-07 (Suns 2x, Sonics, Hawks, Grizzlies 2x, Spurs, Wizards, Rockets Gm 7, not to mention blocking a last-second layup against Detroit) where you claim he was lucky. In 07-08 Memo made a game-winner against Minnesota, nearly single-handedly put Detroit away with 3 threes late in the 4th-qtr, and Utah doesn't win Game 4 against the Lakers without Memo scoring our first 2 baskets in OT - both long foot-on-the-line 22-footers and in 08-09 there was the game-winner against the Lakers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7fcnUEMr0U&feature=related).
Finally, Memo missed virtually all of 2 of Utah's 3 playoff series with the Lakers - which is a major redflag as far as durability but I'm not sure how he was "terrible" in 2 of those matchups.

I don't think Memo has much to offer the Jazz at this point - but saying he didn't come through in the clutch outside of a few months isn't accurate at all.