What's new

Memorizing Help

Archie Moses

I have a test Friday and I have to memorize multiple pages, word for word, in a textbook. I've been writing each paragraph down (on word) and saying them out-loud. It's taken me about 10 hours worth of studying and I've only memorized one full-page. This **** is hard for me. Do you guys have any pointers or suggestions that will help me memorize and retain in a more effective and efficient way? Please, keep away from the "you're stupid" and "you must have a learning disability" comments. Those cut deep.

Thanks, guys. Your help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Putting it to music could help, if you have time to.

I thought about that, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Also, I'm thinking about making recording me reading it listening to it all day long, but I don't know how effective that will be.

Stand up and read it out loud while walking around the room. Also, I found that a recording works well too. I've been in a few plays in my time, and that's how I memorized the script.

You can't type it out, write it on paper or a white board. It's lame but I also make it into songs to some of my favorite tunes.

Read/write whatever it is you need to memorize while eating a mint/chewing gum. During the test, when you are regurgitating the material, do it with that exact same flavor of mint/gum. Your mind associates memory with olfactory and taste sensations.

Another thing to do is to memorize the placement of words on the page. Let's say you are memorizing a poem. Memorize the first and last words of each line and your brain will fill in the middle part.

What you're doing is great too...just writing and rewriting everything. Training your hand to write what you need to memorize will work wonders.

Read/write whatever it is you need to memorize while eating a mint/chewing gum. During the test, when you are regurgitating the material, do it with that exact same flavor of mint/gum. Your mind associates memory with olfactory and taste sensations.

Another thing to do is to memorize the placement of words on the page. Let's say you are memorizing a poem. Memorize the first and last words of each line and your brain will fill in the middle part.

What you're doing is great too...just writing and rewriting everything. Training your hand to write what you need to memorize will work wonders.

Is this true? Thanks a lot. I will try it tonight!

Gotta love professors who don't realize making students memorize stuff in this way is counterproductive. You, and everyone else, will forget it 30 seconds after the test/assignment and probably never think about it again.

With what? The material? What's it on?

It's a PR matrix. It pretty much details step by step a PR case study.

For example, here's the first paragraph.
Research:
Background- Planning begins with a synthesis of primary and secondary research providing background information on the industry, external environment, product or program, market situation, and current trends in opinions and attitudes. The background section also uses demographic and psychographic data to identify and profile potential publics that may be affected by the problem/opportunity, or could aid in its resolution/accomplishment. Intervening publics and available resources are also identified.

This. I am a very visual learner and I used the placement technique to learn all kinds of stuff in college and before. Now 15 years or so into my career there are still some concepts I can picture on the page in the book. Repetition is an important part of it as well although I think less effective, although it is largely how I learned German. Also try paraphrasing it or reading it to someone else word for word to help grasp the concepts, this can help in recall of the text and solidify it in your mind.