What's new

Memo's Contract

dantheman

Apologies if this has already been posted, but if Memo can't return next year (which I doubt he will), will the Jazz be able to buy out his contract or have some type of insurance cover it? How does this work?

With the team sucking as bad as they do, I can only look forward to next year. So who do we think will be on the roster next year?

I think Price, Fes, Elson are all gone next year. Thoughts?

Similarly, if someone were to break into the offices of the Jazz organization, Memo's home, his agent's home and any other involved parties' places of residence, and found and burned ALL paperwork on the deal, might we be absolved of his contract? If there's no paper trail...

Similarly, if someone were to break into the offices of the Jazz organization, Memo's home, his agent's home and any other involved parties' places of residence, and found and burned ALL paperwork on the deal, might we be absolved of his contract? If there's no paper trail...

I've already done this once. I am NOT about to do it again.

PG: D.Harris, E.Watson (re-signed)
SG: C.Miles (option picked up), Draft Pick, R.Bell
SF: G.Hayward, Draft Pick
PF: P.Millsap, D.Favors, J.Evans
C: A.Jefferson, Free Agent

This assumes we let AK47, Price, Elson and Fesenko walk

Possible Draft Picks

Harrison Barnes and Kwami Leonard

Possible FA pickup

Joel Pryzbilla

A player doesn't have to be injured to buy out his contract. The cap hit remains the same, however, so it'll be pretty pointless to do so. I do not know NBA bylaws on insurance covering contracts.

A player doesn't have to be injured to buy out his contract. The cap hit remains the same, however, so it'll be pretty pointless to do so. I do not know NBA bylaws on insurance covering contracts.

So if the Jazz have insurance to cover his contract, does it still count against total payroll\cap?

Im sure Memo has missed enough games this year to have insurance pay most of his contract this year. I believe it's about 80% of the games or more missed insurance kicks in.

Neither do I, but as I recall every team is required to carry insurance on their top 6 guys. So Memo's contract would be insured, although how it pays out is unclear. He might need to miss the whole season to collect the payout. Regardless, he still counts against the cap. There is a Disabled Player Exception (Oden is an example), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow you to to exceed the cap, just extra leverage in acquiring a player in trade.

Insurance kicks in if the player misses 41 straight games. I believe that if Memo misses 20 games to end the season he will have to miss 21 games at the start of year for the insurance to kick in. And teams must insuer at least the 5 or 6 biggest contracts in the books, so Memo's contract is insured.

Even if he retires the contract will count against the cap except if a buy-out occurs. Insurance will pay for 80% of the salary.

Even if he retires the contract will count against the cap except if a buy-out occurs. Insurance will pay for 80% of the salary.

Where do you get 80% from? I'm too lazy to look up similar instances. It seems like the Rockets weren't going to get 80% of Yao's contract this year, but that was all on the rumor mill.

His salaries will still be counted against the cap regardless of who pays for it (the team or insurer). Under the current rule we can apply for an injury exception if he is going to be out for the entire season. Not sure how that would change with the new CBA.