What's new

Memphis/Minn Set to Swap Pick...

PrinceJL

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5315275

Looks like Minny is going to trade their 16th for Memphis' 25th & 28th.
Could KOC trade #9 for Memphis' 12th (Xavier Henry) & 16th (Daniel Orton)?

Utah's 1st: 9th
Memphi's 1st: 12th & 16th
Minny's 1st: 4th - 23rd - 25th - 28th

Could this also be a move on Minny with trading these 4 picks to move up to 3rd & ensure Wesley Johnson from NJ?

Also, would any of you guys entertain the idea of trading #9 & Boozer (S&T) for #2 (Turner) & Brand (3yr/51M remaining)??

Personally I DO NOT want the Jazz to move backwards in the draft, they hardly ever draft in the lottery and next to never draft in the top 10 of the lottery so take advantage of it.

I would trade the 9th for the 12th and 16th in a heartbeat.

Same here. What prospect at #9 doesn't have the potential to be there a few picks later? Outside of the top seven players in this draft, you've got a bunch of guys that could move anywhere between #10-#15 like Aldrich, Babbitt, Davis, etc.

Who's in charge up in Minnesota? They have been very active on draft day for the last 2- 3 years.
Last year they got Washingtons pick and chose Rubio
The year before they swapped with Memphis and ended up swapping Mayo for Love.

Atleast they keep it interesting.

Grizzeless now have the 12, 16 picks
TWolves have 4,23,25,28
Both teams have salary cap space after the next season.....

Same here. What prospect at #9 doesn't have the potential to be there a few picks later? Outside of the top seven players in this draft, you've got a bunch of guys that could move anywhere between #10-#15 like Aldrich, Babbitt, Davis, etc.

At first, knowing we had the Knicks #1 & the potential of drafting top 5 I wouldnt but since its only #9, I'd totally trade that for #12/16
I'm not sold on Monore/Davis & the possiblity of snagging 2 of these (George/Babbit/Henry/Hayward/Orton/Udoh/Aldrich/Whiteside) would be top 5 impact IMO.

If he could turn the #9 into Davis, Patterson, or Udoh at 12 AND Bledsoe or Whiteside at 16, then KOC should get a raise.

At first, knowing we had the Knicks #1 & the potential of drafting top 5 I wouldnt but since its only #9, I'd totally trade that for #12/16
I'm not sold on Monore/Davis & the possiblity of snagging 2 of these (George/Babbit/Henry/Hayward/Orton/Udoh/Aldrich/Whiteside) would be top 5 impact IMO.

Actually, #9 is probably worth less than 12/16. We may have to trade back that protected 1st back to Memphis (Top 14-protected in 2011, Top-12 in 2012, Top-10 in 2013 and Top-9 in 2014-15. If after 2015, Jazz receive cash from Grizzlies.) or lower the provisions.

In Football I'm all for trades like that and I'm not saying it can't work but in basketball IMO it seems to work out less then in Football (trading backwards to get more picks).
Just thinking of Jazz history, the Snyder & Humphries draft didn't work well and the next one that comes to mind had reasonable success I suppose and that was Lewis, Padgett and AK. Can't think of any other memorable multiple first round picks drafts for the Jazz.

Virtually no difference between picks 7-20. I think it would be a great move. After his workouts, there is no way that Monroe will be available. Ed Davis is a risky pick, so why not move down a few spots and pick up number 16 as well.

I doubt Memphis would do this though, they realize that the talent is similar throughout the middle of the first round.

****, why couldn't we be just two or three spots higher? We'd have so much more room to possibly move up. **** the Knicks.

Also, would any of you guys entertain the idea of trading #9 & Boozer (S&T) for #2 (Turner) & Brand (3yr/51M remaining)??

Man, no offense because it seems you're late to the game, but the possibility of a Sixers trade has been discussed ad nauseum for 1, and for 2 how in gods name do people propose we sign and trade a guy on draft night to make a trade? July 1st people, get to know it intimately.

Actually, #9 is probably worth less than 12/16.
I don't think so. The price of moving up three spots (from #12 to #9) has historically been about 2 additional picks, but those additional picks are usually later round picks. I think the value here is right on, and I'd rather have the #16 than the two later picks that Memphis is giving up to get the #16.

To those that think Memphis wouldn't do this because #7 through #20 are all the same, you have a point. But remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They may think that there's one guy who stands out in that group, but they know they have to get to #9 to get him. If they really believe he's better than the rest of those guys, they would do this deal.

I would trade the 9th for the 12th and 16th in a heartbeat.
Biggest no brainer ever - unless Cousins slipped to #9 - which he won't. There's not much difference between #9 and #12. Look at waht we've been arguing: Hayward vs. George vs. Babbitt. Davis vs. Udoh. Get the 12 and 16 and you could pick up a pretty good prospect at PF AND SF. Or take a center prospect like Whiteside or Orton with the #16.

Well, first, FA's can't be traded until after July 1st. Second, Boozer is a FREE AGENT. In other words, HE chooses where he wants to go. The only way Utah is doing a sign-and-trade is IF another team really, really wants Carlos and Boozer refuses to sign UNLESS he gets the extra year. Even then, I think the Jazz would look for an uneven trade. They need to save on salaries to get closer to the luxury tax limit. And there's no guarantee the Jazz can dump all or part of AK's salary at the deadline. So maybe the Jazz would take back, say $6M in salary for Boozer, if that player was a solid backup.

Memphis can't be dumb enough to trade 12 and 16 for 9. Isn't it sad when 9 turns out to be a less desirable pick then 12 and 16 combined? Too bad that this draft is not 9 players deep.

I really wish that the Jazz would get more picks. The #9 doesn't appear to be that great. It seems to me like it's going to be a conservative player with limited upside (aldrich), a good player who doesn't address our most pressing needs (Babbit and any of the wings), or a big man project who could be a good player or a complete bust (Whiteside, Davis, etc).

Might as well increase our chances of success by getting more picks and players. I would be satisfied with a big man draft of Udoh, Whiteside, Aldrich, Davis, etc with a combination of a wing (Babbit, Aminu, George, etc).