What's new

Mid-but-kinda-off-season Jazz history video thread

Ok, here's a longer one. This is nearly every Jazz game-winning buzzer beater in the past 30 years. The conditions are simple. There had to be no time left on the clock after the shot, and it had to actually win the game, not just send it to OT.

Bojan Bogdanović, at HOU, 2/9/2020

Bojan Bogdanović, vs MIL, 11/8/2019

Joe Johnson, at LAC, 4/15/2017

Rudy Gobert, at SAC, 3/5/2017

Andrei Kirilenko, at NJN, 3/2/2003

John Stockton, at HOU, 5/29/1997 (Already posted above, but you can never see it to many times. Especially with salty Rockets announcers and the "uh-oh" that gives me the tingles every time.)

John Stockton, vs MIA, 1/8/1996

John Stockton, vs CLE, 12/21/1995

This is the only one I'm missing. I swear I watched it on Youtube 4-5 years ago, but I cannot find it anywhere now. Maybe one of you with a Twitter account can tweet at KSL Sports and ask if they have it in the archive.

John Stockton, vs CHI, 11/15/1989

Can anyone find the Jeff Malone buzzer beater vs the cavs. It’s the one where Malone goes to tip it in but pulls up and let’s it drop. Cant find it anywhere.

Prior to 1990, there were several Jazz game-winning buzzer beaters, but they're much harder to find. The NBA could do a much better job creating an archive and making it widely available.

This is probably the second greatest Jazz game-winning buzzer beater, after Stock against Houston. This is November 11 1986 versus Dallas. The Jazz are down 4 with 4 seconds left. They score and then this happens.

Ridiculously, the Golden Griff would hit another game-winning, buzzer-beating 3-pointer five weeks later in Washington. No video of that, but apparently Eaton set a pick on Jeff Malone to get him free for the shot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...s-rally/59ed06db-2287-428d-96e9-bc788a8e4076/

Karl Malone's greatest hits. I could watch that forearm to Isiah's face over and over and over.

Karl Malone's greatest hits. I could watch that forearm to Isiah's face over and over and over.

Ok, the first one was purely inadvertent. This kind of thing happens all the time, but not all players are as big and strong as Malone. Same with the third one, completely part of the play.

The second one was more of a clearing move, but also if a guy that big is moving with the ball above his head what good does it do for a guy like Nash to try to reach for a ball that is 2 feet above his head unless he was looking for something similar to the outcome he got, which was just more than he expected coming from Malone. Nash wanted to slow down the play and maybe get a bump and a foul call. He got contact all right. I don't think it was malicious, just basically saying, look I am going to keep this ball up here and pivot to throw it down court. If you get in the way that is your problem. That was borderline.

The shot against Robinson was basically the same **** Harden pulls, the ball was coming to Malone and he felt the defender on his hip, so as soon as it touched his fingertips he tried to get into shooting motion toward the basket to draw the foul. Robinson did poke the ball way, which put his head in exactly the wrong spot at exactly the wrong moment. It was nothing intended, just bad luck.

The Isaiah hit was the only one I thought was pretty blatant, but even that was not a "targeted weaponized elbow", it was meeting an attacker at the basket with force. The standard thing they teach you, stop the ball. Which he did, with emphasis. The size differential meant it was head against arms. A bigger offensive player would have taken that in the chest. And watching that replay at a different angle, if Isaiah had kept the ball in the air instead of trying for a double-clutch move or whatever Malone would have made contact with the ball and IT's arms would have largely absorbed the force of the collision. Malone's hand tracked to the position of the ball pretty closely. It just so happened it put his elbow in a direct line with Isaiah's face. By pulling the ball back, essentially flinching at having Malone come at him, he opened up his head for the contact. Still, Malone went in there intent on stopping the play, regardless of how he had to do it. I do not think it was intentional but it was definitely excessive force.

These actually remind of my son, who is 6'4", and watching him grow into his body. He is huge. And he often does not realize how large and strong he is and he breaks stuff inadvertently. I think these are not that strange in the context, it is just that Malone is far more big and solid than people realize. If you run up against, say a small tree or a bush you might expect some give, but against a 100 year old oak? The oak will win, every time.

Last edited:
Prior to 1990, there were several Jazz game-winning buzzer beaters, but they're much harder to find. The NBA could do a much better job creating an archive and making it widely available.

This is probably the second greatest Jazz game-winning buzzer beater, after Stock against Houston. This is November 11 1986 versus Dallas. The Jazz are down 4 with 4 seconds left. They score and then this happens.

Ridiculously, the Golden Griff would hit another game-winning, buzzer-beating 3-pointer five weeks later in Washington. No video of that, but apparently Eaton set a pick on Jeff Malone to get him free for the shot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...s-rally/59ed06db-2287-428d-96e9-bc788a8e4076/

I’m pretty partial to Stockton’s twisting layup buzzer beater against Chicago in 1989 (posted above) as the #2 greatest buzzer beater in franchise history.

How often do you see someone break Jordan’s ankles and then sink a shot to win a game? Jordan falls down. Love it.

I’m pretty partial to Stockton’s twisting layup buzzer beater against Chicago in 1989 (posted above) as the #2 greatest buzzer beater in franchise history.

How often do you see someone break Jordan’s ankles and then sink a shot to win a game? Jordan falls down. Love it.
I still remember watching this game live. Just awesome!

During the Boozer/Williams/Okur/Kirilenko era I was at a double overtime game against the Bulls that AK had the buzzer beater shot to win the game. I can't find any video of it though.

During the Boozer/Williams/Okur/Kirilenko era I was at a double overtime game against the Bulls that AK had the buzzer beater shot to win the game. I can't find any video of it though.

If he had a buzzer-beater to win the game, it'd be listed as such on Bball-reference. The only game that sort of matches your description is this.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200602060UTA.html

But Okur hit the game-winner, and it wasn't a buzzer beater.

This is the Memo shot from that Bulls OT game.

If the link is wonky, it's at 1:57 mark.

And I get that the definition of a buzzer-beater meaning no time left on the clock whatsoever is a little pedantic, but as we all know, just because you hit a 3 with a second left, it doesn't mean you've won the game.

rawImage.jpg

Also, I love that it's Bulls commentators on that Okur shot and that one of them dejectedly says "that's good" when it's half way to the basket. Money man. :) I love seeing him at Jazz games today. He might have started his career at Detroit and had that cup of coffee in Brooklyn, but he's a Jazz man for life.