What's new

Mike Conley for Chris Paul?

Mike Conley for Chris Paul?

• Total voters

magic

I'm not sure this trade would even be possible, but what do you guys think?

I personally think Chris Paul is one of the most annoying players in the NBA, but I think his play style would fit well here. He has one of the best mid range game in the NBA and can create his own shot regardless of what system he is in.

I figure a lot of people here will dismiss the idea because they hate the player, but interested in hearing opinions of those who can look at it from a more objective point of view.

Chris Paul (and his contract) isn't the solution. The solution is to:
1) replace Jeff Green in the rotation with a player who defends, rebounds and takes better shots; Jeff is a fraud and a fake player, and I don't think the Jazz would lose anything by playing Brantley or Niang as the backup 4
2) reduce Mike Conley's minutes until he shows he's not a detriment to the team with his mindless turnovers and disappearing defense
3) put the ball in Mitchell's hands more and play Royce in the backcourt with him more; Mitchell is the most dynamic player and the ball should be in his hands; Royce will improve our rebounding and defensive size in the backcourt.
4) make Exum the primary backup PG while he's healthy; I mean for **** sake, we've been grooming him for 5 years

This will improve our rebounding, reduce our turnovers, put more pressure on the rim and improve our shot composition.

Chris Paul (and his contract) isn't the solution. The solution is to:
1) replace Jeff Green in the rotation with a player who defends, rebounds and takes better shots; Jeff is a fraud and a fake player, and I don't think the Jazz would lose anything by playing Brantley or Niang as the backup 4
2) reduce Mike Conley's minutes until he shows he's not a detriment to the team with his mindless turnovers and disappearing defense
3) put the ball in Mitchell's hands more and play Royce in the backcourt with him more; Mitchell is the most dynamic player and the ball should be in his hands; Royce will improve our rebounding and defensive size in the backcourt.
4) make Exum the primary backup PG while he's healthy; I mean for **** sake, we've been grooming him for 5 years

This will improve our rebounding, reduce our turnovers, put more pressure on the rim and improve our shot composition.
You lost all credibility when you said that Exum should be our backup point guard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

CP would be a better fit than Conley has been so far, but I don't think I would make that trade. Paul's contract would be a millstone on the team going forward.
If we were going to trade Conley, I would target Justise Winslow from Miami.

Winslow could be great for our offense as the PG. There is no doubt about his ability to bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense. He has decent play making skills (good for his size, but only decent for a PG) and is also a decent spot up guy, and there is hope for continued improvement. What I would really like about Winslow offensively is his drive game. One of his specialties is to bully to the rim, collapse the defense, and then kick out. Alternatively, I think his height would unlock the lob connection to Gobert.

Winslow would also provide improved defense and REBOUNDING. He can cover from PG to PF, and would probably be our best option against the LA stars (James, AD, Kawhi, PG13). Imagine trying to score on the lineup of Rudy, Winslow, Ingles, O'Neale, & Mitchell. Add Bojan for O'Neale when we need offense... could be awesome!

I think the Heat would be interested as well (they have looked into other PG's). I assume the trade would be Conley for Winslow & Dragic.

So to recap, the Jazz need to improve: Lob and offensive play making, rebounding, and defense on elite forward. Winslow addresses each of these items.

http://heatbeatmiami.com/maximizing-justise-winslow-could-take-miami-to-another-level/
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article235095017.html

Conley hasn't even played 10 games in a Jazz uniform and y'all are trying to trade him already. Geez. Chill. He's going to be fine.

jazz fans are getting anxious. we traded 2 firsts, fan favs Jae crowder and korver, and a young piece and are paying Conley > $30M. We went all in on him, and with that in mind he at least deserves to take some criticism. he’s shooting 31%/28%, 4 of his 7 games have as many or more turnovers as assists. His defense has been marginal at best. He has the second highest usage of his career right now, and by far the lowest effectiveness (-OBPM, -BPM, -VORP, -WS). He’s really only had 1 good game of 7 so far, and 4 or 5 simply terrible games, so when that’s the guy you put all your chips in for, there’s gonna be some anxiety there.

Last edited:
It's too early. What we need to do is write a riveting song both for and about Mike Conley so he cries. Then he can truly heal, realize he deserves to play for a good team... and lead us to the Finals.

Conley's going to be fine. And to all of you that want to think we made a mistake signing him, with this incredibly small sample size, just remember that it's not just Conley but Conley's posse as well, which includes Green, Mudiay and Davis all nice pieces that I think w/ Conley and Bogey are going to surprise the crap out of y'all come year's end.

I find it amusing with all the talk about trading Conley. The consensus last season was trading for him was the solution to all our problems. I'm still not convinced he wanted to come here and wish we could have been able to sign bogey without him. As it stands, he's here with that albatross of a contract and our "genius" coach has to find a way to make it work. (Which I think he will, but probably not to the championship work.)

Ok, so it looks like people on Jazzfanz are more concerned about Conley's defense and fit next to Donovan/Rudy rather than his offense. I'm more concerned about having a 2nd consistent scoring option that can create for himself in the 4th quarter.

Anyways, for some reason I thought CP had only 2 years left on his contract but he has a 3rd year player option. So the risk for doing this trade is most likely not worth it.

The Conley thing is baffling. This is just not who he is. We aren't anywhere close to needing to think about other options here... but if we were another small PG wouldn't be the route.

It's just odd that he went from a low turnover great shooting player to.... well... what we've seen so far. Physically he doesn't look slow... I don't think its age or injury. It looks like he forgot how to play good basketball. Just so strange.

I find it amusing with all the talk about trading Conley. The consensus last season was trading for him was the solution to all our problems. I'm still not convinced he wanted to come here and wish we could have been able to sign bogey without him. As it stands, he's here with that albatross of a contract and our "genius" coach has to find a way to make it work. (Which I think he will, but probably not to the championship work.)
I think there was anything but consensus. A good chunk of fans didn't want him or felt he wasn't really the missing piece. The board was pretty divided in most threads. So this response isn't weird at all.

We didn't sign him, we traded for him and gave up assets. I'm not saying it's a mistake by any means. But if it turns out to be a bad decision, there are repercussions outside of just paying him a lot of money.

Semantics - I think you know what I meant. Anytime you make a decision there will be repercussions, it's always a crap-shoot. I like what Massai Ujiri had to say on Real Sports with Bryant Gumble, that he never looks back. This guy made the biggest one year gamble for a load management player and against all odds actually won an NBA championship because of it!