What's new

Millsap's Game and Offseason Improvement

vslice02

What I love about Paul Millsap is he's improved 1-facet of his game every season.
-2006-07: great rebounder and finisher around the rim but really a 14-feet-and-in guy
-2007-08: again mostly played around the basket but he did add that little 10-footer on the right baseline off 1 dribble.
-2008-09: added the 14-footer on the baseline, particularly the move where he would step off the right block, jab step then shoot the baseline j.
-2009-10: added the 17 foot jumper from the top of the key in which he shot an above-average 48% (40-83) and his pick-and-pop play which was evident during Game 4 against the Lakers.

-2010-11: this year he looks to have added a fadeaway off his right-shoulder on the right-block as well as a mid-range jumper off the dribble (anyone see the play last night when he crossed J. Green twice then popped the j in his face? wow!). He also seems to have a much better handle and drive game, particularly on that fast-break he started/led before Deron/Hayward bumbled it at the end.

I mentioned this because while I love his game, Boozer's offensive repetoire never really improved after the 2006-07 season. No new moves - if anything he started shooting more jumpshots and fadeaways than the jump-hook that was so effective for him. In fairness Boozer's game was more complete than 90% of other PF's at that time, but I expected Boozer's game to still improve after age 26 - not plateau.

When talking about Karl Malone, Sloan and Frank Layden always say how he made himself better in the offseason, always came back with 1 more trick - FT's, more rane on his jumper, fade-away, ect. That's what the great players do every summer. Millsap may never be a dominant PF, but he may improve his game to the point he gives you the production of one.

I hope Hayward and Evans see this and can improve the same during their offseasons - Hayward with his shooting and Evans his skillset.

There's no doubt that the Mailman has offered his two cents to the Paperboy with their Lousianna, LaTech and Jazz common connection.

I don't think Sap even had a 10 footer in his rookie year, but I agree with everything else. I'm pretty shocked at his ability to handle the ball this year, too. It's safe to say he saw the opportunity he had coming into this season and took it seriously over the summer.

There's no doubt that the Mailman has offered his two cents to the Paperboy with their Lousianna, LaTech and Jazz common connection.

Malone on Utah Jazz forward and fellow Louisiana Tech player Paul Millsap: “(Paul Millsap is) a great young man and I wish the best for him. The sky is the limit (for him).”

Utah Jazz forward Paul Millsap on who would win a one-on-one match-up against Karl Malone: “I gotta’ be confident with myself and say that I’m going to have to win that battle, maybe right now. But back then (when Malone played), maybe he would’ve killed me.”

Malone responding to Millsap’s comments: “Son, I’ve got one great game left in me and I don’t know if you want to be that one.”

https://thestartingfive.net/2009/02...5-2009-kobe-and-the-lakers-sweep-the-celtics/

I've noticed the improvement each year in Paul's game. Thanks for laying out the specifics.
I'm encouraged thus far by Hayward and Evans. Both seem to have the desire to really work on improving their skills. I'm not too concerned about Flash's shooting. He just seems to be rushing/pushing his shots. I expect him to settle down a bit as the season progresses and he becomes less in awe of being in the NBA.

Evans' career just might mirror Millsap's. He came into the league as a rebounder/energy player without much of an offensive game, other than put-backs. I don't see him getting 19 mins/per like Paul did his rookie season. The Jazz have too much veteran depth, especially once Okur returns. But I could see Jeremy get 10 mins/per game. If he works on his shot and can add 15-20 pounds without sacrificing his rebounding skills, he could be a key rotation player next season.

I mentioned this because while I love his game, Boozer's offensive repetoire never really improved after the 2006-07 season. No new moves - if anything he started shooting more jumpshots and fadeaways than the jump-hook that was so effective for him. In fairness Boozer's game was more complete than 90% of other PF's at that time, but I expected Boozer's game to still improve after age 26 - not plateau.

I'm not sure I ever saw Boozer return to full strength for a meaningful period of time. His explosiveness wasn't often up to potential. In his defense, it's hard to show you've added to your game when injuries are dragging you down.

The only time Boozer is at full strength is when he sprints to the bank after signing a big contract.
Oh yeah and remember the season when he took his boot off the last day and said his foot was feeling great. His explosion in getting to his vaction destination was amazing.

I brought in Boozer's game because he carried Utah to their Game 7 win over the Rockets and was generally dominant in the other two series even scoring at will on Duncan. I thought his 23 and 12 playoff averages (not simply a product of G.S.'s weak defense - 25&11 vs. Hou and 22&12 vs. San) would translate through the following season (he averaged 24&12 first half of 07-08) where despite playing 81 games his numbers dropped significantly after the all-star break and then even more drastically in the playoffs. Instead of going from a top-15 player (which he was in '06-07) into an elite top-10 player Boozer actually dropped a little.

The past 2 years Millsap's playoff minutes are virtually the same but he's increased his scoring from 12 to 18 ppg and his FG% from 51 to 57%. Just because a player is 25 or 26 doesn't mean he will continue to get better. Millsap is and I hope it continues.

Millsap looked way better dribbling the basketball than Kirilenko against OKC. We may well see him at SF in the playoffs against the Lakers if Okur is back healthy. Millsap looked very quick last night; definitely impressed with his off-season work ethic and new skills!!

I remember a game where someone threw the ball to the Paperboy, who was standin about 5 feet outside the 3-point line, with about one second left in the quarter.

What's he supposed to do? Pass inside? Drive to the hoop? Thinkin about his all in all, he just calmly nailed a 3-point shot to give the Jazz the lead. His teammates got a little pumped and started congratulating him. He just said: "It aint nuthin."