What's new

Milsap for D Williams

jimmy eat jazz

No not THAT D Williams, the other one, Derrick.

Chris Broussard, ESPN.com: “One of the teams Utah has talked to about Paul Millsap is Minnesota. The name of the very available Derrick Williams came up.”

Actually, I don't mind this--I'm not necessarily thrilled with it, but I could live with it. I think Williams is better than he's played, his ceiling is more or less what Milsap gives us, plus since he's been coming off the bench on a bad team, he shouldn't mind coming off the bench on a good/mediocre one--a role I don't believe Milsap is willing accept on the Jazz. Another reason I don't mind it is that I don't believe the Jazz will be able to sign Milsap after the season. He'll want too much money and will expect to start and play starter minutes, when those minutes should now be going to Favors at PF. Of course, if we don't resign Al, then both Milsap and Favors can play starters' minutes.

In any case, while I'd prefer Bledsoe, I'd be happy with this. It's better than letting Milsap walk in the off season with nothing in return.

P.s. Sorry about the new thread, but since there's so many different ones now about trade deadline, I figured, why not?

Nah, we already have a bust #2 pick. Besides, Derrick Williams doesn't fill any sort of need

He can be a rotation player backing up 3 and 4 spots. If we don't resign Milsap and /or Jefferson, we will need another rotation player, and he can play both spots. Granted, not necessarily huge need, but I'm thinking more of getting something useful instead of nothing if they walk.

Last edited:
Assuming we trade Millsap for Derrick Williams and keep Jefferson, we would already have Hayward Marvin and Carroll playing the 3 and a big-man rotation of Favors/Jefferson/Kanter. Derrick Williams doesn't fit anywhere.

No not THAT D Williams, the other one, Derrick.

Chris Broussard, ESPN.com: “One of the teams Utah has talked to about Paul Millsap is Minnesota. The name of the very available Derrick Williams came up.”

Actually, I don't mind this--I'm not necessarily thrilled with it, but I could live with it. I think Williams is better than he's played, his ceiling is more or less what Milsap gives us, plus since he's been coming off the bench on a bad team, he shouldn't mind coming off the bench on a good/mediocre one--a role I don't believe Milsap is willing accept on the Jazz. Another reason I don't mind it is that I don't believe the Jazz will be able to sign Milsap after the season. He'll want too much money and will expect to start and play starter minutes, when those minutes should now be going to Favors at PF. Of course, if we don't resign Al, then both Milsap and Favors can play starters' minutes.

In any case, while I'd prefer Bledsoe, I'd be happy with this. It's better than letting Milsap walk in the off season with nothing in return.

P.s. Sorry about the new thread, but since there's so many different ones now about trade deadline, I figured, why not?

Sorry jimmy your about 13 hours too late....

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?14699-How-about-Millsap-for-Derick

Well what do you know. I hadn't seen that yet (a lot of trade threads to wade through).

I don't think this trade will happen anyway, and the more I think about it (which admittedly isn't much), the more I don't like it anyway.

It's all good.... I actually think the jazz are floating this rumor yesterday to catch the Clippers eye, at least that's what I hope!!!

Well what do you know. I hadn't seen that yet (a lot of trade threads to wade through).

I don't think this trade will happen anyway, and the more I think about it (which admittedly isn't much), the more I don't like it anyway.

Not your fault that this is a horribly moderated board.

That thread is "Millsap for Derrick" ... not exactly obvious that its talking about Williams.
You're right. The Jazz might be trading Millsap for the only other Derrick/Derick in the league, Derrick Favors. Makes sense.

You're right. The Jazz might be trading Millsap for the only other Derrick/Derick in the league, Derrick Favors. Makes sense.

Someone could be making a rhetorical thread about how trading Millsap opens the door for Derrick to start, so in effect we would be trading Millsap for Derrick.

Also Derrick Rose is a Derrick.

Someone could be making a rhetorical thread about how trading Millsap opens the door for Derrick to start, so in effect we would be trading Millsap for Derrick.

Also Derrick Rose is a Derrick.
Do you think he looked?