What's new

Milsap's fouls

zman1527

From Monson:

"Foremost among Jazz players who foul a lot is Paul Millsap, who finished second in the league in total personal fouls during last year’s shortened season with 222. Only the Kings’ DeMarcus Cousins fouled more. The season before, Millsap finished tied for third with 272. Al Jefferson was 17th that year with 238. And the previous season, Millsap took second with 285. Still with the Jazz that year, Carlos Boozer finished in the eighth spot with 270. And in 2008-09, Millsap again finished second with 288."

We all know and respect Sap's effort and his offense. The number of fouls were a surprise to me, but fit with the fact that we also know that Al and Sap make a very poor defensive duo. Sap is just too small to be a really good defender at his position, even though his number of steal somewhat lessen the impact of his fouls.

Now, when folks talk about Favors and Kanter and the possiblity of them starting, the first thing comes up is that they are raw on offense and we would give something up there. I think that is true. However, I think the converse is true also, that right now both Favors and Kanter are better on D than Al or Sap. I think that Favors and Kanter would make up for their lesser skills on offense through being much better on defense.

To me, that takes away the argument for not starting them. Sap and Al are not really going to get much better on either side of the ball and will never equal Fav-Kant on defense. The young guys WILL get better on offense and they will do it sooner with more minutes. It is time to trade Al and put Sap on the bench.

Surprising fact about Millsap. All the more reason to tell him he has to come off the bench. He could dominate backups without having to foul on the other end.

Kanter and Favors are also better rebounders. The other argument is that Marvin Williams does a lot of what Millsap does offensively.

From Monson:

"Foremost among Jazz players who foul a lot is Paul Millsap, who finished second in the league in total personal fouls during last year’s shortened season with 222. Only the Kings’ DeMarcus Cousins fouled more. The season before, Millsap finished tied for third with 272. Al Jefferson was 17th that year with 238. And the previous season, Millsap took second with 285. Still with the Jazz that year, Carlos Boozer finished in the eighth spot with 270. And in 2008-09, Millsap again finished second with 288."

Millsap's fouls per 36 min are about the same every year for the last 5 seasons - why is this all of a sudden a problem?

Millsap also has had to play next to two of the worst team defenders that I've ever seen in Al Jefferson and Memo Okur. The guy gets zero help.

Also, this is Monson being Monson. He's more of a boogeyman-maker than the objective journalist he'd all love us to believe.

Millsap's fouls per 36 min are about the same every year for the last 5 seasons - why is this all of a sudden a problem?

Its always been a problem. Now there might be a way to eliminate or minimize it. Put him with the second unit and give him 20-25 mpg or trade him. He will always be 6' 6". Start the young bigs.

Fouling described as a problem on this team has always baffled me. Jerry Sloan would always preach use your fouls, but when someone did he would send them to the bench. I understand trying to preserve a starter, but a bench guy would always get the same treatment. It was like the coaching staff was constantly talking out both sides of the mouth. Corbin is the same way. The other thing that bothers me about Sloan and Corbin is they always preach defense, but always favor the offensive player no matter how bad the defense of that guy was.

So this is basically how Corbin and Sloan coach. Get in there, play tough defense, use your fouls if you have to. But really we dont care about defense , and if you foul you are coming out even if you arent a starter and it wouldnt matter one bit if you fouled out. Derrrrrr. I just dont get it.

Fouling described as a problem on this team has always baffled me. Jerry Sloan would always preach use your fouls, but when someone did he would send them to the bench. I understand trying to preserve a starter, but a bench guy would always get the same treatment. It was like the coaching staff was constantly talking out both sides of the mouth. Corbin is the same way. The other thing that bothers me about Sloan and Corbin is they always preach defense, but always favor the offensive player no matter how bad the defense of that guy was.

So this is basically how Corbin and Sloan coach. Get in there, play tough defense, use your fouls if you have to. But really we dont care about defense , and if you foul you are coming out even if you arent a starter and it wouldnt matter one bit if you fouled out. Derrrrrr. I just dont get it.

Agreed. The Jazz just seem to love their offensive system and are always trying to recreate Stockton-Malone. Al and Sap are a pretty good offense duo, but horrendous on defense. Yet they get all the minutes.

I think the Jazz would be much better on D with Kanter favors and could then get more offense out of Marvin and Hayward than they will with sap and al in there. But it still seems like we have to play "jazz basketball". Time to recognize what you have and move on.

What is your evidence for that?
82games.com. The Jazz have been better in points allowed per 100 possessions with Millsap On-Court than Off-Court every year he's been in the league (including the last 2).

11/12: On-Court 106.2; Off-Court 109.2
10/11: On-Court 110.7; Off-Court 112.7
09/10: On-Court 105.6; Off-Court 108.0
08/09: On-Court 106.5; Off-Court 111.1
07/08: On-Court 106.1; Off-Court 108.9
06/07: On-Court 105.9; Off-Court 109.6

Yet somehow the Jazz have been better defensively with Sap on the court than off the court all 6 years he's been in the league.

I'm also confused by this GVC. Your saying that when Millsap and Jefferson are on the court together they were better defensively that when Jefferson and Favors were on the court together? I sure to see the stats to back that up.

Now if your saying that the Jazz were better when Sap came in for Boozer, or started when Boozer was out, or before we got Favors on the roster then I'm sure that is true

I'm also confused by this GVC. Your saying that when Millsap and Jefferson are on the court together they were better defensively that when Jefferson and Favors were on the court together? I sure to see the stats to back that up.

Now if your saying that the Jazz were better when Sap came in for Boozer, or started when Boozer was out, or before we got Favors on the roster then I'm sure that is true
What it likely means is that when Millsap plays with lineups not featuring Al, the Jazz defense is pretty damn good (or almost certainly better than any lineup featuring Al). However, whenever Al is on the court, the defense sucks *** (the team has been better defensively with Al on the bench the last 2 years).

What it likely means is that when Millsap plays with lineups not featuring Al, the Jazz defense is pretty damn good (or almost certainly better than any lineup featuring Al). However, whenever Al is on the court, the defense sucks *** (the team has been better defensively with Al on the bench the last 2 years).

Well I didn't need stats to know that is true. Its the combo of Al and Sap together that worries me. If they are both playing over 30 MPG this year on the court together our defense is going to stuggle

Here are my random thoughts:
1. Big Al lead us in points and rebounding, no way Ty has the guts to have Big Al coming off the bench.
2. Our defensive strategy for years is to foul the bigs. I had heard on one of the broadcast that Ty wants to go away from that strategy.
3. Another reason that Millsap fouls so much, he is a short four. He has not shot at covering 6'11" power forwards like Lamarcus Alredge and fouling is his only way of making it tough on long fours.
4. It will be interesting this year to see if four bigs are better than three.