What's new

Minnesota open to trading #2 pick

Jazz still get Kanter, who would have been the #1 if he played for Kentucky.
Jazz in a no lose spot.
Why try give up anything to move up one spot?

trade just saw on the twolves board

Jazz get: #2, Johnny Flynn, #20
Wolves get: #3, Raja Bell, #12

I must be missing something with this Flynn. I have close to ZERO interest. No to this trade.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Raja will be better next year than he was last. Maybe significantly. Plus, I think it is clear that he'll be used in spot duty only. That said, trade his *** in a heartbeat for the right deal. . . this just isn't it.

Yes to this trade in a heartbeat. We get to move up to basically guarantee DWill2 (or Kyrie as a "fallback"), we get rid of Raja's 2 years 6 million for a rookie contract (team option if I am correct), and we switch the 12 and 20 (hint: there is really no talent disparity here, it will be like throwing a dart blindfolded at a spinning board).

And this has absolutely nothing to do with me giving a **** about Flynn. If he turned out, great, if not, who cares.

I must be missing something with this Flynn. I have close to ZERO interest. No to this trade.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Raja will be better next year than he was last. Maybe significantly. Plus, I think it is clear that he'll be used in spot duty only. That said, trade his *** in a heartbeat for the right deal. . . this just isn't it.
Agree with most of what NAOS said - other than passing on the trade. IMO it's a terrible deal for Minnesota. Flynn for Raja is completely unequal, and 12 & 20 isn't a major gap in this year's draft, and 2 & 3 is obviously huge. THen again it is David Kahn.

As far as your thoughts on Flynn, I think alot of Jazz fans are basing things off Flynn's 28-point game in Minnesota's 2009 win over Utah. Also agree about Raja - if he's your 4th-best wing (and therefore plays the 4th-most minutes among wings) I don't think that's a bad situation to be in.

Minnesota has pieces and could get solid real quick with some help.

Kahn traded #6 Brandon Roy for #7 Randy Foye and a million bucks on draft day 2006. I'd bet he'd take a million and swap 2 and 3, especially if KOC personally guarantees to take a player Minnesota doesn't want, but might strategically draft anyway.

Thought that was Kevin McHale.

Also agree about Raja - if he's your 4th-best wing (and therefore plays the 4th-most minutes among wings) I don't think that's a bad situation to be in.

Two problems with this. 1) I have no faith Raja will play the 4th most minutes; 2) Raja getting the 4th most minutes on the team next year promises to be a huge pain in the ***. He's a 'leader' when he's playing the minutes of a leader. He's going to be a massive cancer if he isn't. And he's already a cancer on the floor.

Tweet by Probballdraft:

Already hearing whispers that MIN has is willing to deal #2 pick and Beasley to Indiana for Danny granger

How can we even try to top that deal?

Yes to this trade in a heartbeat. We get to move up to basically guarantee DWill2 (or Kyrie as a "fallback"), we get rid of Raja's 2 years 6 million for a rookie contract (team option if I am correct), and we switch the 12 and 20 (hint: there is really no talent disparity here, it will be like throwing a dart blindfolded at a spinning board).

And this has absolutely nothing to do with me giving a **** about Flynn. If he turned out, great, if not, who cares.

I guess I've been more concerned about how to make that 12th pick into the 6th-8th pick. A team like Washington might have woken up this morning and realized that, having moved down two spots, they can no longer get the guy(s) they wanted. Might they be interested in some combination of CJ, Memo's expiring, a future first or second round pick + our 12th?

I'm also not too sure I agree about the parity between 12 and 20 (although Singleton, Jackson, and Faried are interesting prospects).

Last edited:
I agree with standing pat at #3. The question will be is what will the Cavs do with the #1, and what will the team do that gets the #2. Either way, we are #3 in a three player draft. I would love to have Kantner, Williams or Irving. AND JIMMER AT 12!

That would be stupid to trade Sap to move up one spot. His value is better than this.

This would be to move us from 12 to 2. Netting us 2 of the top 3 players in the draft. Milsap is a great 6th man, but if we can turn him into a potential franchise PG, SF, or C -we have to take that chance.
The problem with this trade is the Wolves already have Love and Beasly. I'm not sure they would want to trade the pick for a 6th man of their own. Maybe they'd be interested in Devin Harris to keep Rubio's seat warm.
Also in consideration - what contracts would we have to take back to get the deal done?

Tweet by Probballdraft:

How can we even try to top that deal?

I don't know why Indianna wouldn't pull the trigger on that. They would have their scoring PF in Beasely to go along with Hibbert down low, they could then draft Williams I guess to be SF. That would be an exciting,young starting 5: Collison-George-Williams-Beasely-Hibbert. I guess it would be a good trade for Minnesota too because it would give them a veteran player and give them more of a defined team. They still need a legitimate center badly though to pair alongside Love and I thought they would be looking hard at Kanter and Jonas (especially considering Kahn's love affair with Euro big men).

I just don't think this draft is all that great. Why go to great lengths, and drop assets, to trade into the 5-10 spot somewhere when that same group in next year's draft would be somewhere north of 15?