What's new

Minority stake in Smith Entertainment Group sold to Arctos; goal for 3rd Utah pro sports team.

If it's not NFL then I don't care.

MLB would be a far off second choice.

Hockey would be 5x less interesting than MLB.

SLC is NOT a baseball town, it's NOT a Hockey town, but this is very much a football town.

I think anything other than NFL is going to flop and leave the state within 10 years of whatever their opening day is.
I thought SLC would be too small a market for the NFL, but there are plenty of smaller markets with teams. Not even counting Green Bay.

The Utah Tithezz

The Utah Teen Rehabilitation Campzz

The Utah Sabathzz

The Utah Suicidezz

The Utah Anti-Depresantzz

The Utah Temple Recomendzz
Utah Teen Pregnancies
Utah Child Brides
Utah Big Loves
Utah Bishops
Utah Elders
Utah Four-willers
Utah Homophobes

Just get straight to the point..

Utah Mormons

Yeah, gotta be honest. I don’t think I would give a **** about an MLB or NHL team in SLC.

I would have mild interest in an NFL team.

I have to think an NHL team is the likely choice. I would think NHL would be the less expensive and safer investment as between NHL and MLB and perhaps easier to sell Utah on?

Attendance for an NFL team in SLC would easily sell out a 60-70k seat stadium every week. However, there’s 3 reasons it will never happen:

1- Cost. The Denver Broncos just sold for $4 billion. The NFL would probably set a franchise fee just north of that figure. Even though Ryan Smith is a billionaire, that’s probably gonna be too rich for his blood.

2- The NFL has a long list of markets they’d like to be in and SLC is very far down said list.

3- Just like anything in this state, the Mormon Church is gonna have their say and they will fight tooth and nail to keep the NFL outta SLC. It’s not good for business.

I don’t see why not? The Colorado Rockies make it work.

Yeah, I had thought that.

One problem would be that baseball stadiums typically house 40-60,000 people. Could that work for 81 games?

I see 60,000 for NFL far more likely. You seem much more like a football state than a baseball state and there’s only 8 home games a year. But like someone just said, would that ever fly for the church?

I also question whether people care enough about the NHL out there to have a team.

I’m guessing it would be some smaller pro sport like MLS. Not sure what that could be. WNBA? Bring back the Starzz. Smith seems all about diversity and equality. I could see that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had thought that.

One problem would be that baseball stadiums typically house 40-60,000 people. Could that work for 81 games?

I see 60,000 for NFL far more likely. You seem much more like a football state than a baseball state and there’s only 8 home games a year. But like someone just said, would that ever fly for the church?

I also question whether people care enough about the NHL out there to have a team.

I’m guessing it would be some smaller pro sport like MLS. Not sure what that could be. WNBA? Bring back the Starzz. Smith seems all about diversity and equality. I could see that.
We've had hockey here a lot. I went to tons of hockey games as a kid, they are a lot of fun live. Way more fun than soccer or baseball. Of course most funerals I've been too were more fun than all the professional baseball games I've been too, because at least there is usually free food. Baseball is mind-numbingly boring. Good hell.

We've had hockey here a lot. I went to tons of hockey games as a kid, they are a lot of fun live. Way more fun than soccer or baseball. Of course most funerals I've been too were more fun than all the professional baseball games I've been too, because at least there is usually free food. Baseball is mind-numbingly boring. Good hell.

The Arizona Coyotes sound like a good candidate for a potential move. They’re playing home games in Arizona State’s stadium this year lol.

Ya I don’t want to watch the Dodgers or Yankees B team come to SLC and beat the crap out of the trappers or whatever just so we can pretend we have another pro sport here.
Bring in an NHL team, we already know hockey will work here. Have the Bees won anything? I remember the Golden Eagles and Grizzlies as cup champions more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I don’t want to watch the Dodgers or Yankees B team come to SLC and beat the crap out of the trappers or whatever just so we can pretend we have another pro sport here.
Bring in an NHL team, we already know hockey will work here. Have the Bees won anything? I remember the Golden Eagles and Grizzlies as cup champions more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Golden Eagles were fun.