What's new

Minute distributions

Its not getting the minutes down from 36 to 32 that matters most to me... its getting them full days off when you can. Would rather play the key guys 36 a night and give them 10 or so games off (Mike, Joe more than that).

I don’t expect them to shift away from that early-sub pattern. Worked too well.

You can keep doing that AND have plenty of time to tinker with playoff combos/rotations.... But Q needs to figure out how to do this.
Quin has the sex machine run a very specific protocol and pattern. Doesn’t like deviation because part of what gets him over the top is anticipating the next move.

Quin has the sex machine run a very specific protocol and pattern. Doesn’t like deviation because part of what gets him over the top is anticipating the next move.
Is “getting him over the top” a euphemism?

I feel like we’ve added enough depth to still be in the running for a top seed without running guys into the ground.
If Butler pans out, and or Forrest's shot looks better, I think you are right. If niether of those things are true, I don't think our depth is any better.

If Butler pans out, and or Forrest's shot looks better, I think you are right. If niether of those things are true, I don't think our depth is any better.
I think Quin would likely feel comfortable with playing Butler in the event that there are minutes. And in the event that there are minutes, I think he’ll play decent enough. In any case, having Gay gives us a lot more flexibility in being able to manage Joe, and I do think Whiteside will allow us to not have to run Rudy as much. Even Paschall can come in and play some minutes, whereas last year if someone were out those minutes were just absorbed by the rest of the main guys. The way I see the off-season is that we took two rotation players who gave you 15 mpg and we turned that into two guys who can give you 20-25 NBA quality minutes on any given night in addition to two other guys that you can throw out for 15 minutes each, if needed.

And regarding the PG spot, both Mike and Don went down and we really didn’t have a backup PG other than a guy on a two-way. This year Forrest has a bit more experience (should be tried as a wing defender) but we’ve got Butler now who can do the things that limited Forrest in seeing the floor (shooting). Joe is the benefactor here.

Have you seen me advocate for anything other than an effective load management scenario? If so, pls provide link.

I’ve stated many times that I’m not fond of the corner we’ve painted ourselves into with Mike; but, as of this offseason, there was no question that we needed to re-sign him. This is our corner to inhabit. If it needs to be 20-25 minutes, then fine. I think the staff can find something that has him ready for the playoffs.

We clearly pushed for the 1 seed last year. That was bad for Joe, too. Hopefully we have a different perspective this year. I think there are reasons to be hopeful about that. There are enough reasons that I’m pushing back against those people who still have their dick in the dirt about Conley, etc. The moping about this issue is obsolete.
It's not moping, it's being real. Yes we absolutely painted ourselves into a corner and we need to drastically limit his minutes and games played to give him a chance to be available in the playoffs. By drastically i mean drastically. Last season we did the whole minutes restriction, limited back to backs, and he had what, 15 games off at the end of the season? And he still barely played 1/3 of available playoff games. And half of those obviously hobbled. He's broken. He's the classic muscle car with an upside-down loan and endless leaks and mechanical issues that we just can't get out of. So if we don't take drastic action he'll break down again. We need to be heavily focused on having him available, as healthy as he can be, and in sync for the playoffs. For me that means he doesn't play a single back to back the entire season, at the beginning of the season I would play him in 1 of 3 games, and we hold him to 20-24 minutes when he does play. And we ramp that up very slowly, so he plays a streak of maybe 10 games right at the end of the season running into the playoffs. We can't afford to give a broken player such a huge chunk of the salary cap if he won't be available for the playoffs when it matters. So they damn well better treat him with kid gloves to maximize what he gives us.

I don't see that much of taking players out of ten games straight, but i defo think we could use giving these ten (or more) games along the regular schedule to give some extended rest to guys that may need more than just one night of rest to reset their legs (as we consider being the case for Mike, Ingles and i don't know if maybe Gay too, even if to a lesser extent), outside of not giving them both sides of a b2b, while also keeping everyone under reasonable minutes, of course.

At first, i imagine the standard rotation with everyone healthy and we not making any adjustment to a 5 out strategy from some opponent (which looks reasonable under current roster, but not much realystic before) to look something like

Conley (27) Mitchell (11) Ingles (8)
Mitchell (23) Clarkson (25)
Bogdanovic (30) Ingles (16) Gay (2)
Royce (32) Gay (16)
Rudy (33) Whiteside (15)

Then there would be the minutes to divide among guys like Butler or Foster and Paschall, maybe Oni, whenever we'd be without someone due to rest, injuries or trying some adjustments

At first, i imagine the standard rotation with everyone healthy and we not making any adjustment to a 5 out strategy from some opponent (which looks reasonable under current roster, but not much realystic before) to look something like

Conley (27) Mitchell (11) Ingles (8)
Mitchell (23) Clarkson (25)
Bogdanovic (30) Ingles (16) Gay (2)
Royce (32) Gay (16)
Rudy (33) Whiteside (15)

Then there would be the minutes to divide among guys like Butler or Foster and Paschall, maybe Oni, whenever we'd be without someone due to rest, injuries or trying some adjustments
This basically mirrors my post in this thread. I think Quin is pretty predictable and will try and plug in Whiteside for Favors and Gay for Niang to what was the best regular season team last year.

I think Quin will minimally try some small ball adjustments depending on match-ups. I really hope Butler and/or Forrest are ready to take some minutes away from Conley/Ingles.

I think Quin would be smart, but don't expect him to treat the regular season with much less importance and make decisions based on preparing for the playoffs.

This basically mirrors my post in this thread. I think Quin is pretty predictable and will try and plug in Whiteside for Favors and Gay for Niang to what was the best regular season team last year.

I think Quin will minimally try some small ball adjustments depending on match-ups. I really hope Butler and/or Forrest are ready to take some minutes away from Conley/Ingles.

I think Quin would be smart, but don't expect him to treat the regular season with much less importance and make decisions based on preparing for the playoffs.

I say that aside giving every rest night posible to Conley (and some others then and there, but just that Mike is the main one), i don't think there's a lot to change on that.

On this minutes distributions only guys getting more minutes than last season are Mitchell and Gobert, our two cornerstones -with Mitchell being just 25 yo next season, and good luck telling Rudy to play less than 30 on non blowout games where there's no reason to take him out the floor - with everyone else taking a bit less than the season before.

I'd say camp, preseason, rest nights (that should be planned) and blowouts (considering last season regular season sucess onto next one) should give enough chances for other guys to make their claims into actual playing time, but outside that, it's pretty much about it.

I’d place a big priority on Butler’s development early in the season. He could be the piece that helps load manage Joe and Mike. ****ing crucial. Let’s hope they pursue these kinds of ends over winning a maximum number of games.

I’d also add that Paschall could help manage JC. He can definitely be a microwave off the bench.

I’d think just the opposite… Jazz have so many long road trips early, you might want to stick with the veteran instead of throwing a guy to the wolves. Plus we’ve seen how long it took the veteran to get “acclimated” to the Jazz system- expecting a young guy to do it should seem unrealistic. Forrest might be able to carry the load in early games though too. Hopefully if we can do the dance and handle Mike with kid gloves just right all year he can play a few playoff games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait the Jazz brought back Greg Foster? He must the be stretch big everyone has been clamoring for. I bet whenever Foster hits a 3 Boler will say "Foster Australian for three".

Also clearly you meant Greg Foster and not Trent Forrest

Wait the Jazz brought back Greg Foster? He must the be stretch big everyone has been clamoring for. I bet whenever Foster hits a 3 Boler will say "Foster Australian for three".

Also clearly you meant Greg Foster and not Trent Forrest

Yeah, i totally forgot what his actual name is, but sincerely, as lazy i was to google it while writing that post, i am to edit it right now. At least it may help some other board members imaginations, that could be fun.

In a completely healthy and competitive regular season game we are going to see Donovan at 35, Rudy at 32, Conley at 28, Bogey at 30, Royce at 30, Ingles at 25, Clarkson at 24, Gay at 20, Whiteside at 15.

Mid-season and less competitive games we will see minutes shaving on top tier guys to give more PT to guys like Oni/Butler/Whiteside/Paschall