What's new

Mitchell, the next Damian Lillard but with defense

Nope, it's below average in the NBA where 35.8% was average last year so I feel confident in saying it's below average in college as well.
I would be shocked if the college average were not significantly lower. Think about how much better NBA shooters than college shooters.

I would be shocked if the college average were not significantly lower. Think about how much better NBA shooters than college shooters.
On the other hand there are lots of great shooters in college that could never play in the nba due to lack of size and athleticism.
Short white dudes who can shoot lights out are plentiful in college. Think jimmer

Jimmer was more of a volume shooter than a great shooter. Fugly mechanics tbh

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app
I don't think this discussion was ever about mechanics. It's about ability to make three pointers imo.
Jimmer in college shot 39% from three on 5.4 attempts per game.
That's good imo.

On the other hand there are lots of great shooters in college that could never play in the nba due to lack of size and athleticism.
Short white dudes who can shoot lights out are plentiful in college. Think jimmer

Trey Burke in his last season in college shot 38.5% on like 5 shot attempts a game

the great Trey Lyles shot 13.8% so there was every reason to believe he'd be a stretch-4.

He shot %38 in his rookie year. I guess Dennis was right. It is the mentailty he got between his first and second year that made him regress.

He reminds me Dwade a lot more than Dame. I think Dame has more firepower, but Mitchell could be better overall player in future. He just needs to work on his shots and decision making.

lmfao

SLCDunk just tweeted another 8bit video classic like they did with Gobert in the offseason. This one is the Ninja Gaiden opening duel. Exum is the ninja that loses. Then it cuts to Mitchell in Exum's room and he finds a letter and a sword. He is sent on a mission of revenge for Exum. Then it takes a shot at Booker in Phoenix lmfao

Y'all should check it out.

the great Trey Lyles shot 13.8% so there was every reason to believe he'd be a stretch-4.

This is still one of our worst picks IMO and everyone knew it except the FO apparently. I mean everyone panned the pick, a few people were like "yeah ok I guess", but for the most part everyone saw what he would be, and he turned out exactly like everyone thought. Except the FO. One of their biggest mistakes in recent memory considering there were some solid picks behind him that should have been no-brainers at that spot, like Devin Booker. Ugh.

Strangely enough, If we had picked Booker instead of Lyles, we would now have Booker instead of Mitchell.

I think we're going to like how it turned out.

Truth. I thought we needed shooting at the time and would have preferred Booker, but I didn’t really care that strongly. Would have perhaps been mildly more excited about Booker. Interestingly, even PKM didn’t think Booker was the type of player we were looking for, and that’s saying something. I’d hate to be in a situation now where we are forced to build around Booker ‘because he’s got talent’.

If we had drafted Giannis instead of Trey Burke, we'd be real contenders and Hayward probably wouldn't have left.

I'm on the Mitchell hype train based on what he's showing. He can shoot 3s, drive and finish off the dribble, get in the paint pretty easily, defend all over the floor, make good reads and passes. He's also really fast, plays with a ton of energy and gets himself involved in nearly every play. His efficiency will improve as he gets more playing time.

Strangely enough, If we had picked Booker instead of Lyles, we would now have Booker instead of Mitchell.

I think we're going to like how it turned out.

Or trading Booker to another team would have netted a pick to get Mitchell AND other assets.

Is it also ok that the Jazz have used 5 first rounders (three of them lottery picks) to get a starting PG?

Imagine how strong the Jazz might have been had some of those picks become decent players. Jazz may have been in a position to trade for another star. Jazz just didn't have any good, young players to offer other teams this summer.

Ironically, Danny Ainge has now played a major role TWO times in changing the course of franchise history.

1. Hayward, of course. Let's hope re-purposing that $30M looks very good in a few years.
2. Not many remember, but Utah was rumored to be interested in drafting a big at #14 in 2013. However, they heard the big they wanted was going to be off the board so they traded up for a PG. I'm convinced the big was Olynyk. Dallas drafted for Boston at #13 and traded him to the Celtics. Had Dallas/Boston not taken Olynyk would the Jazz have stayed put? And had Lindsey drafted Olynyk, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have drafted another 5 with the 21st pick. Then, needing a PG, maybe the Jazz would have taken Canaan or even Wolters at #21.

In any case, drafting Burke meant the Jazz still wanted a big, which resulted in Gobert.

[TWEET]918855831633850369[/TWEET]
lmfao

SLCDunk just tweeted another 8bit video classic like they did with Gobert in the offseason. This one is the Ninja Gaiden opening duel. Exum is the ninja that loses. Then it cuts to Mitchell in Exum's room and he finds a letter and a sword. He is sent on a mission of revenge for Exum. Then it takes a shot at Booker in Phoenix lmfao

Y'all should check it out.

https://twitter.com/slcdunk/status/918855831633850369