What's new

Mormons and Gays.

Most people on this site are LDS. I have no issue with members of the LDS Church, I just think the stance it takes on homosexuality, and women, is unfortunate to put it lightly.

I hope my opinions on this subject are not a reflection of my opinions of individuals, but the LDS Church's doctrine and nothing more.

I know that I'm getting off topic here but what exactly is your understanding on the LDS church's stance on women?

I know that I'm getting off topic here but what exactly is your understanding on the LDS church's stance on women?

they are Mormons so it has to be oppressive and some form of slavery right.

Archie. I would hope the LDS Church would get on with it and stop treating gay people like 2nd class citizens, like they did with black people. If you consider human rights and equality a belief, then yes I think my side is more in line with Christ. But as always, just an opinion.

I am good and so are you. Dudes can disagree and still give them $5 to lose in poker while I get drunk.

I think the LDS Church reinforces subservient roles amongst women. But hey, LDS women are ok with it and embrace it. I just disagree, that's all.

Honestly, many of my LDS friends are not against gay marriage.

In my experience this is a point of semantics. The official LDS position prefers civil contract language. IMO, what would help tremendously is if the First Presidency (or any other organization who could be viewed as a leader) actively promoted a libertarian view instead of promoting anti-Prop 8, etc. On the other hand, we have the family unit hangup that essentially prohibits LDS leadership from actively promoting a purely all equal stance as that would work to weaken the religious stance.

I wonder what the LDS response would be if the country adopted a civil contracts for all policy. Either way, the current political position is extremely mild and understandable. We may disagree with the religious aspects but we already have political freedom from those.

In my experience this is a point of semantics. The official LDS position prefers civil contract language. IMO, what would help tremendously is if the First Presidency (or any other organization who could be viewed as a leader) actively promoted a libertarian view instead of promoting anti-Prop 8, etc. On the other hand, we have the family unit hangup that essentially prohibits LDS leadership from actively promoting a purely all equal stance as that would work to weaken the religious stance.

I wonder what the LDS response would be if the country adopted a civil contracts for all policy. Either way, the current political position is extremely mild and understandable. We may disagree with the religious aspects but we already have political freedom from those.

Well put.

I wonder what the LDS response would be if the country adopted a civil contracts for all policy.

That is my soapbox. In the eyes of the gov't, that's all a "marriage" is anyway. Make every partnership equal.

Oh, and regarding the church and women, one small aspect anyway, they (the church) have been careful to acknowledge that some women will work outside the home, and that they're okay with that, but it has been slow to filter down to the local level - in my neck of the woods, at any rate.

Our Relief Society has had lessons devoted to women committing themselves to being mothers and homemakers. This, of course, leaves any mother who does work feeling inadequate/ashamed. My wife works. We have two sons, but they are in school most of the day, and my wife has absolutely no interest in being a "stay at home mom". I believe her follow up comment was something along the lines of "yeah, they can kiss my ***."

I know that this is more reflective of the local attitude than the position of the church itself, but it didn't appear out of thin air.