What's new

Move On From Hayward?

LoPo

Hey guys - relatively new but I thought I would still test the waters.

Gordon Hayward - I really like the guy. He does everything at a good rate. I don't believe he does anything at an elite rate and that includes all the intangibles that are hard to quantify (hustle, athleticism, leadership, "clutch ability", undeniable determination to win and insert any other intangible that don't really have a stat). From a GM perspective, don't we have to view him as entering the last year of his contract? He's signed for this year but he's got a player option for 2017-18 at what figures to be at least $5 million below where a new max would begin due to an anticipated inflated 2017 salary cap. Due to this, I'm going to act under the premise that next year is the last year of his current contract barring some horrific injury (I never even want to imagine these things so I will not go down that path at this time). So Hayward has one guaranteed year left. And if we're being honest, there is no way in hell I think we give him a 2017 max deal. He's just not worth it. He's not worth 25% of a team's salary.

We all know that Boston would love to have the guy. He fits their needs pretty well and Stevens would be for it if we made Hayward available. They want a guaranteed good player rather than waiting on #3 which could either bust or take time to develop. Hayward at Boston just makes sense, and he could actually help entice Durant to make the leap there in either 2016 or 2017.

So take this hypothetical trip with me with the moves we should potentially take:

#1 - we trade Hayward to Boston for #3. There might be little throw ins here and there from either team, but that's the meat of the trade.
#2 - we stay at #3 and we draft one of the 3 best players in the draft as things sit right now - Simmons, Ingram or Murray
#3 - we sign Harrison Barnes to a max deal

So let's walk through it. After we trade Hayward and before we draft, we have the following "core" roster:
PG Exum, Mack
SG Burks
SF Hood
PF Favors, Lyles
C Gobert
My estimation is that roster above is a playoff roster. Mack has an offseason to get better acquainted. Exum and Burks are both playing which provide us with more production combined than Hayward did by himself. Gobert develops a little more as does Hood. The above roster makes the playoffs. Some might say keeping Hayward makes us stronger which he definitely does, but he doesn't get us past the 2nd round if we get there at all.

Taking Murray as the 3rd pick gives us a dynamic scorer. Star? I don't know, but I think he gives us a much needed personality and edge especially at the end of games. He could play with Exum, run our offense at PG, etc. Simmons is a budding superstar who we'd have to get incredibly lucky or trade more assets to get. If we had #3, scenarios could exist where shoot the moon for Simmons if we so wanted. Ingram seems like a pretty safe bet to be a great SF for years to come. If he fell to #3, we say thank you very much. Either way, the upside for any of them is higher than what Hayward provides us. Regardless, we could get 4 years of one of these 3 and maybe just one more year of Hayward. Since we aren't contenders, this is just better business than maybe watching Hayward just walk in 2017.

And now to Harrison Barnes - wouldn't it just make sense to pursue him? After all, GS put their tails between their legs and lost on purpose to get him in the first place. Max for Barnes is a little steep, but I think he's worth it. The kid has it all and he has played every position for that GS team. And consider this, Barnes at a max this year would be much cheaper than Hayward at a max in 2017 due to the 2017 cap explosion. In a lot of ways, they offer the same skill set, but Barnes just seems like a star being held back simply by lack of playing time. He's been well coached and he's got a comprehensive skill set. Barnes is a restricted free agent so GS could match. If they don't, we just switched Hayward for Barnes and added the 3rd pick. If GS does match, we stick a knife in the side of their chances of adding to that amazing roster. And potentially, we hurt their chances of actually keeping that amazing team intact. So even if we "lose out" on not signing Barnes to a max, we hurt our biggest threat to a future Jazz title.

Some of this might be a little far fetched, but just dream a little bit with me about this potential lineup:
PG Exum, Murray, Mack
SG Murray/Hood, Burks
SF Barnes, Hood
PF Favors, Lyles, Barnes
C Gobert, Favors, Lyles
Tons and tons of match-up possibilities. Our roster flexibility would only be rivaled by the Warriors (who actually lose their small ball PF to us).

wallhaven-148851.jpg

Reactions: 8
Why do people on here think we can trade Hayward for a high draft pick. I mean I know this forum tends on the overly optimistic side of things, but still.

I wish people would think of trades from the perspectives of both sides. Like in this case above, imagine if Boston was actually Utah. Would you want to trade the #3 pick for a 1 year rental?

If people actually looked at the trade from the other side and pretended that team was actually Utah, I think a lot of silly trade proposals would be eliminated.

Hey guys - relatively new but I thought I would still test the waters.

Gordon Hayward - I really like the guy. He does everything at a good rate. I don't believe he does anything at an elite rate and that includes all the intangibles that are hard to quantify (hustle, athleticism, leadership, "clutch ability", undeniable determination to win and insert any other intangible that don't really have a stat). From a GM perspective, don't we have to view him as entering the last year of his contract? He's signed for this year but he's got a player option for 2017-18 at what figures to be at least $5 million below where a new max would begin due to an anticipated inflated 2017 salary cap. Due to this, I'm going to act under the premise that next year is the last year of his current contract barring some horrific injury (I never even want to imagine these things so I will not go down that path at this time). So Hayward has one guaranteed year left. And if we're being honest, there is no way in hell I think we give him a 2017 max deal. He's just not worth it. He's not worth 25% of a team's salary.

We all know that Boston would love to have the guy. He fits their needs pretty well and Stevens would be for it if we made Hayward available. They want a guaranteed good player rather than waiting on #3 which could either bust or take time to develop. Hayward at Boston just makes sense, and he could actually help entice Durant to make the leap there in either 2016 or 2017.

So take this hypothetical trip with me with the moves we should potentially take:

#1 - we trade Hayward to Boston for #3. There might be little throw ins here and there from either team, but that's the meat of the trade.
#2 - we stay at #3 and we draft one of the 3 best players in the draft as things sit right now - Simmons, Ingram or Murray
#3 - we sign Harrison Barnes to a max deal

So let's walk through it. After we trade Hayward and before we draft, we have the following "core" roster:
PG Exum, Mack
SG Burks
SF Hood
PF Favors, Lyles
C Gobert
My estimation is that roster above is a playoff roster. Mack has an offseason to get better acquainted. Exum and Burks are both playing which provide us with more production combined than Hayward did by himself. Gobert develops a little more as does Hood. The above roster makes the playoffs. Some might say keeping Hayward makes us stronger which he definitely does, but he doesn't get us past the 2nd round if we get there at all.

Taking Murray as the 3rd pick gives us a dynamic scorer. Star? I don't know, but I think he gives us a much needed personality and edge especially at the end of games. He could play with Exum, run our offense at PG, etc. Simmons is a budding superstar who we'd have to get incredibly lucky or trade more assets to get. If we had #3, scenarios could exist where shoot the moon for Simmons if we so wanted. Ingram seems like a pretty safe bet to be a great SF for years to come. If he fell to #3, we say thank you very much. Either way, the upside for any of them is higher than what Hayward provides us. Regardless, we could get 4 years of one of these 3 and maybe just one more year of Hayward. Since we aren't contenders, this is just better business than maybe watching Hayward just walk in 2017.

And now to Harrison Barnes - wouldn't it just make sense to pursue him? After all, GS put their tails between their legs and lost on purpose to get him in the first place. Max for Barnes is a little steep, but I think he's worth it. The kid has it all and he has played every position for that GS team. And consider this, Barnes at a max this year would be much cheaper than Hayward at a max in 2017 due to the 2017 cap explosion. In a lot of ways, they offer the same skill set, but Barnes just seems like a star being held back simply by lack of playing time. He's been well coached and he's got a comprehensive skill set. Barnes is a restricted free agent so GS could match. If they don't, we just switched Hayward for Barnes and added the 3rd pick. If GS does match, we stick a knife in the side of their chances of adding to that amazing roster. And potentially, we hurt their chances of actually keeping that amazing team intact. So even if we "lose out" on not signing Barnes to a max, we hurt our biggest threat to a future Jazz title.

Some of this might be a little far fetched, but just dream a little bit with me about this potential lineup:
PG Exum, Murray, Mack
SG Murray/Hood, Burks
SF Barnes, Hood
PF Favors, Lyles, Barnes
C Gobert, Favors, Lyles
Tons and tons of match-up possibilities. Our roster flexibility would only be rivaled by the Warriors (who actually lose their small ball PF to us).

Welcome... well though out post.

Hayward is so much better than some are giving him credit for. I'm all for getting Murray but acquiring the #3 pick seems to have a premium attached to it that the 6-8 might not have. Who knows what Boston does there but I don't think I would project Murray there. Don't think PHX takes him either. Minny is a maybe I think their guy is Dunn. I think there is a 50% shot Murray lasts until pick #6 and I think we could get that pick cheaper than the #3.

I'm not a Barnes fan. We can sign him to the max and I do think GS will match and move him a year later to make room for their escalating costs. In this cap environment I would not be opposed to signing Barnes to the max because he'd still be a movable asset, but I think he's really overrated.

Basically if we move Hayward it's more of a rebuild than I think people realize... while not a perfect #1 option he is still one of the top 30-40 guys that help you win games. Rookies just don't affect winning... even if they put up #s.

If Boston wants him they would have to overpay to get him... his pending FA may cause some reluctance on their end. I think a possible scenario would be a three team deal where Love goes to Boston and Hay goes to Cleveland... I'd want the #3 pick, the 2017 1st from BKN, and Amir Johnson/Jerebko. That'd be an overpay but that's what it costs imo because we take on the speculative assets.

Why do people on here think we can trade Hayward for a high draft pick. I mean I know this forum tends on the overly optimistic side of things, but still.

I wish people would think of trades from the perspectives of both sides. Like in this case above, imagine if Boston was actually Utah. Would you want to trade the #3 pick for a 1 year rental?

If people actually looked at the trade from the other side and pretended that team was actually Utah, I think a lot of silly trade proposals would be eliminated.

Boston has shown interest in Hayward before. I don't have the link, but it was out there. And it's known that Boston wants to bring in a big player. Well, a draft pick doesn't help lure a star player as much as a proven veteran entering his prime. For an example, look at Cleveland trading #1 to get Love. Now I understand that Hayward isn't love, but then again, #3 isn't #1 either.

If I look at it from Boston's perspective, I love it. IT at PG, Hayward at SG, Durant at SF and Crowder as the 6th man is a special combination. All they would have to do is surround those 4 with hardworking bigs. If they want to go small, they bring in Bradley or Crowder, move Hayward to SF and Durant to PF. If you consider Durant's current frustration with the ball hog Westbrook, he would love to play with an unselfish guy like Hayward. Gordon is a perfect 3rd option and better in that role than being our #1.

If Hayward leaves Utah I would place Boston as his most likely destination. It's no secret the coach and FO like Hayward and Hayward likes the coach. I think him resigning with Boston is highly likely.

It's not a rental. Love got traded with one year left on his deal for the #1 pick, another 1st rounder (which they flipped for Thad Young), and the #1 pick from a year or two ago. Boston would be in the driver's seat as far as his future went.

Looking at it from their side... They've got a ton of draft assets... are likely going to draft Dragan Bender who won't help the team win for a year or two (maybe never). Would be acquiring the best player on their roster and a guy that has a deep relationship with their head coach. They were already a playoff team and watched Toronto get in the ECF. Atlanta is likely going to backslide next year and they are one Lebron ankle sprain from the finals with Hayward.

It's not a rental. Love got traded with one year left on his deal for the #1 pick, another 1st rounder (which they flipped for Thad Young), and the #1 pick from a year or two ago. Boston would be in the driver's seat as far as his future went.

Looking at it from their side... They've got a ton of draft assets... are likely going to draft Dragan Bender who won't help the team win for a year or two (maybe never). Would be acquiring the best player on their roster and a guy that has a deep relationship with their head coach. They were already a playoff team and watched Toronto get in the ECF. Atlanta is likely going to backslide next year and they are one Lebron ankle sprain from the finals with Hayward.
Boston has a worse team than us, I really don't understand the fear of Hayward leaving for Boston. I mean their best player is a 5'8 shoot first PG who has been traded twice for pennies on the dollar, I'm sure Hayward is super excited to play with an overhyped feel good story.

Boston still overly relies on making a big splash in FA to get a good team or making a huge trade.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Boston has a worse team than us, I really don't understand the fear of Hayward leaving for Boston. I mean their best player is a 5'8 shoot first PG who has been traded twice for pennies on the dollar, I'm sure Hayward is super excited to play with an overhyped feel good story.

Boston still overly relies on making a big splash in FA to get a good team or making a huge trade.

I don't think he would leave us to sign there... I think if they traded for him he would resign there though. Was just explaining the thought process from their end and why they would give up value for a "one year rental"

I don't think he would leave us to sign there... I think if they traded for him he would resign there though. Was just explaining the thought process from their end and why they would give up value for a "one year rental"
I think ultimately Hayward goes to the money, so whoever trades him would be doing so for the right to pay him the most.

Lol. My favorite part was the guy saying that this team as currently constituted without Hayward is a playoff roster. So we lose Hayward and improve?

Lol.

I think ultimately Hayward goes to the money, so whoever trades him would be doing so for the right to pay him the most.

Which means he probably stays with the jazz if they don't trade him.

Uhhhhh.... Wait a minute. I swear I made a thread about trading Gordo for the number 3 already. ;)

Really if your Ainge why not just wait one season and keep the 3rd pick or if you trade it trade it for someone like Kevin Love under contract.

Really if your Ainge why not just wait one season and keep the 3rd pick or if you trade it trade it for someone like Kevin Love under contract.

The "we can just sign him as a free agent" argument is bad. Ask Dallas about FA... Or the lakers or anyone except maybe San Antonio and Miami. His current team can offer him bigger compounding raises and an extra contract year... Gordo will take the most money as long as the situation isn't toxic.

Ok so if Boston isn't in as good of a position, why did they have a better record and have the number 3 pick. They have the better GM, coach, star player, future assets and a more desirable market. Yeah I'm taking Boston 100 out of 100 times.