What's new

Moving to China

My next door neighbors Chinese and are literally the nicest and happiest people I know. They say hi and smile every day I see them.

That said, both he and his wife post fb comments about Hong Kong weekly. It's interesting to see your perspective, but you make China out to be completely different than my Chinese neighbors.

South Korea would be fun to visit. Most everyone can talk video games.

You might be surprised. The adoption of video games in South Korea isn't to the extent that you think it might be. Many don't play at all. Those that do play a narrow slice of the total video games that are available. Historically, everyone just played Starcraft. Now, you have a bit more of a diverse set that includes games like overwatch, PUBG, Counterstrike and Fifa, maybe some MMOs. And then, there are some that are into video games like, in the american sense, where they play a wide range of genres and own consoles (most don't). This sub-set of the population is very niche. I've met maybe six people in eight years who knew of the Dark Souls series or Zelda. I think this demographic is growing though, for all I know the Switch may be really popular. I moved to the States 4 years ago so my info my be outdated.

Here is my opinion on some notable areas in Seoul that you may have heard about @Ron Mexico :

Insadong - Kitschy tourist trap for old people who want ****** souvenirs - avoid lol

Itaewon - Trashy Foreigner hot spot - full of foods foreign to Korea, clubs, prostitutes and one taco bell. - probably avoid. You're not there to eat western food (unless you are??) and hang out in clubs with the american military service members (probably?) I don't know. I went a couple of times for the prostitutes of course but there's not a good reason to go if you're just visiting IMO. This place is for the expats.

Myungdong - This is smack dab in the center of the city, close to the train station, City Hall, the US embassy, and right under Namsan Tower on the north side. It's a huge shopping district and is fairly touristy. It's full of people and narrow alleyways and it's pretty cool. on most days, you'd hear more Japanese here than Korean but maybe not at the moment since the two countries are in a bit of a spat. There are some restaurants worth hitting here, particularly a place called Myungdong Gyoja, and possibly some others but If your time is short I wouldn't make it a priority. Here are a bunch of videos

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=myeongdong

Hongdae - In Korea, maybe other countries too, in front of every university there's this thing where a cluster of good, cheap food, bars, entertainment and overall perfection exists. Hongdae might be the most famous of all these. The name Hongdae actually refers to the name of the university but when people go to "Hongdae" they mean they're going to the adjacent district where all the goodies lie. Hongdae is special because in addition to having some of the best food, drinking spots, and clubs for young people in the whole city, there's like outdoor concerts and random street musicians just trying **** out there every night it seems like. I've been there twice and both times it was pretty nuts. Do some research and get some info from the locals and I think you'll have a good time here. You could probably spend your whole trip here.

More to come...

Hangdae sounds like my kind of place! Thanks for the info.

Awesome. Looks like you can just walk to gwanghwamoon area. There might be lots of protesters on the weekend but it should be okay. Bukchon hanok village will be pretty close too if you want to check it out. Some traditional korean stuff there.
I live in Songdo which is right next to the airport. My work is here so yeah.
Korea have lots of street food too. Try some spicy rice cake! They are really good

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app

You should come grab a drink with me one of the nights! Or...Maybe a breakfast drink and watch the Lakers or Sacramento game together...

What are the protests about?

You should come grab a drink with me one of the nights! Or...Maybe a breakfast drink and watch the Lakers or Sacramento game together...

What are the protests about?
That would be amazing but I will be out of town this weekend. Hope you have a blast!! Food in korea is the best. There are lots of protests.. some old folks don't like current president so yeah. There are lots of them and hard to keep up haha

That would be amazing but I will be out of town this weekend. Hope you have a blast!! Food in korea is the best. There are lots of protests.. some old folks don't like current president so yeah. There are lots of them and hard to keep up haha

These protests going on are pretty crazy. It's 3 am and there are still huge crowds out there and lots of yelling.

No idea, haha. It went until 5am though. It was very noisy. I don't speak Korean so I have no idea what they were shouting.
Something about some chief prosecutor. Also Moon Jae In's daughter received what appears to be unfair preferential treatment as result of being the president's daughter. This happened after President Moon ran on a message of hope for the lower classes. So, people are mad. Not to turn this into another thread about trump but It's kind of crazy considering what we allow a guy like president Trump to get away with.