What's new

Moving to westcoast

Contributor
San Francisco to be exact. Starting grad school next month.

I'd appreciate any comments on the feasibility of housing and employment. I am an adept musician, and possess the great ability to work boring low-skill jobs without wanting to end my life. To live, I don't need much. A mattress, groceries, and a door that locks. Feel free to inquire further if necessary.

Thanks,

-LazyD

I'd appreciate any comments on the feasibility of housing and employment. I am an adept musician, and possess the great ability to work boring low-skill jobs without wanting to end my life. To live, I don't need much. A mattress, groceries, and a door that locks. Feel free to inquire further if necessary.

Thanks,

-LazyD

I know that housing in SF is crazy expensive, in fact I read an article (can't remember where) that said it was often cheaper to live in a hotel than to rent an actual apartment.

What school? Are you actually staying in the city proper?

I know that housing in SF is crazy expensive, in fact I read an article (can't remember where) that said it was often cheaper to live in a hotel than to rent an actual apartment.

And it's basically all a government regulation(scant permits + rent control) issue that's compounded with Tech $$$$ on top of it, no?

What school? Are you actually staying in the city proper?

Academy of art university. Gonna be on campus for the upcoming semester because I'm fiscally challenged and the generous government will provide. Looking for employment immediately after arriving and then looking for housing in the city for the rest of my time in the program.

Thanks,

-LazyD

Get a Van with a popped top.

If a girl says it's just razor burn she's lying.

^That's all the advice anyone should ever need.

Duly noted

That info might have been useful in a few previous predicaments

You can find a studio in Alameda for a "mere" $1200 a month. It's a safe city with good access to San Francisco (or what we just called The City when I lived there). San Leandro isn't a bad city either in terms of BART access.

As bad a rep that Oakland has, and much of it is deserved, there are areas that aren't a warzone there.

You can find a studio in Alameda for a mere $1000 a month. It's a safe city with good access to San Francisco (or what we just called The City when I lived there).

Word.

And it's soda, right? Iowans call it pop, and my friends on the coast tell me this is old-fashioned.

Yeah, soda is how I was taught when I lived there. I moved here to Denver and it's pop here as well.

Go to Oakland if you don't mind the train commutes. Rent is lots cheaper and there are more people to jive with. SF has lost its mind. I have three very close friends who have vacated in the past 7 months.