What's new

MWC decides not to expand

DeliveryBoy

https://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37560762/ns/sports-college_football/

The presidents of the Mountain West Conference voted Monday not to expand the nine-team league at this time.

Commissioner Craig Thompson said the decision to hold off on expansion is tied to the shake-ups and shifting landscape in some of the nation's bigger conferences. Officials from the Big Ten, Pac-10 and Big 12 are considering adding schools or reorganizing.

Thompson said the decision is not final, and that the board may reconsider once the dust settles in the other conferences.

I'm not sure about the MWC's logic in not inviting in someone like Boise St. It doesn't look good to be passive while all the other conferences are making moves to bring in good schools. I have to wonder if there's something bigger in the works.

Makes me think they're waiting to see if the Big XII is disintegrated and then try to gobble up the pieces and Boise at the same time.

The first priority of all college football teams should be having a college football playoff system. Too bad everyone is trying to shake up their conference and make super conferences now that hurt the little guys even more.

Makes me think they're waiting to see if the Big XII is disintegrated and then try to gobble up the pieces and Boise at the same time.

This is exactly what the MWC is doing. They said today that we could see some action from the Big XII and the Pac-10 by the end of the week, which would still give the MWC time to scoop up 2 former Big XII schools and Boise State, or just take 3 more Big XII schools. My guess would be that the MWC would try and get Kansas and Kansas State, and either Baylor or Boise State as the 12th team.

Hmmm.... I hope we shake things up after the "super conferences" align themselves.

I also wonder if it is possible that Utah might be invited into the Pac-10 still?

Hmmm.... I hope we shake things up after the "super conferences" align themselves.

I also wonder if it is possible that Utah might be invited into the Pac-10 still?

From what little I've heard that is getting less and less likely.

Haha, looks like the Utes will just have to be happy with contending for 3rd place. Boom, bitches.

On the old board I asked this question in regards to the TV market and was told the logistics/travel of it is why the PAC10 wasn't rumored in talking to the Texas school(s), well I guess the money is too enticing ehh? Granted from the radio I've heard the Longhorns is the a top 5 money maker school so money wise it would be stupid not to test the interest.

It's not like they have to promise anything to Boise State, right? I don't get the significance of waiting. Worst case scenario, one of the big 3 gets jacked by another conference and you still want Boise State. Or two. Or all three. Either way, the MWC still wants Boise State. These conferences clearly don't mean anything. You can blow them up whenever, add to whenever, and leave whenever as long as you have the votes/a bigger shark looking to swallow you. Isn't there a certain period where Boise State would have to play yet another year in the WAC? Do it right now, sign them up for 2011.....and if things turn out differently.....so what?

Without a guarantee from the BCS there is no reason to invite Boise state to join. If they don't get the guarantee inviting Boise just hurts the MWC's chances of getting a team into the BCS bowl games because the odds of a team coming out undefeated in a MWC with Boise goes down significantly. And the BCS is not taking a 1 loss team from the MWC if they lose against their own conference foes unless they have already guaranteed the MWC a spot.

1320 KFAN has been reporting for the last hour or so that Colorado is holding a behind closed doors meeting tonight and are expected to vote on whether they are accepting an offer to join the PAC 10 tomorrow. They feel jilted by the rest of the Big 12 and and looking ready to make the first move, before they get left behind with only lesser options. This could accelerate the other potential moves within the Big 12, Boise out of the WAC, MWC changes, and even Notre Dame. It sounds like the process is starting to heat up a LOT more.

As a Boise State, BYU, And Utah Fan, the prospect of seeing them all vying in the MWC excites me, but I can't get the Mountain on Dish out here and there goes my Boise games on TV.

So what's going to happen? Is Utah and Colorado going to the PAC-10? What about TCU and BYU? Is Boise St. coming to the MWC later after the dust settles or is it a done deal that the MWC isn't going to invite them at all?