What's new

My First visit to SLC, a dream come true and the incredible Dennis Lindsey!

karpasov

Hi JazzFanz friends, I have an incredible story (and a small favor to ask). It's hard even for me to believe it is really happening. I apologize ahead, there will be no sarcasm in this post.
In short, I was born in Israel and lived there all my life. I am a Jazz fan since age 12. 20 years ago I started an educational program for underprivileged "at-risk" youth. Basically we take kids from broken families that always saw themselves as failures, and give them new home plus the opportunity to change their life course and become successful and contributing leaders in society. once a year I am traveling to the US to try and raise much needed funding and support to the program. Last season I was fortunate enough to be in Detroit for the season opener. I even prepared a special shirt for the occasion -
1629212.jpg

I was even more fortunate to see Dennis Lindsey walking by me at half time. As soon as he saw my T-shirt he shook my hand and suggested I will write him an Email as he wants to send me a little gift as an appreciation for my long-distance fandom -
2yoev46.jpg

You can read more about my expirince in this lovely article Jody Gennesy wrote about it - https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865642426/Fan-shows-his-long-distance-life-long-loyalty-to-Utah-Jazz-2-all-the-way-from-Israel.html
I was sooo thrilled and excited. In the mail I sent him I suggested that instead of sending a shirt or something to me , he can send it to the kids in our boarding school who really need these kind of things. I was astonished to receive, a month later, a whole box that came all the way from Utah to Israel, full with Jazz gear, mainly shirts and socks, for our students! All of us here, staff and teens were in shock and in excitement. you can see the picture of the kids with shirts here -
1lc3.jpg

Anyway, I wrote him a thank you letter and sent the picture. He was so moved by it. It reminded him of his own family and parents who also devoted their lives to help kids in need. So he writes me back and invite me to be his guest in Vivint for a Jazz game the next time I'm in the US!! All of this happened last year. And now, next week actually, finally, as I am traveling to the States for another fundraising trip, I am going to not only fulfill a childhood dream in visiting Salt Lake City and attending a Jazz home game, but also be Dennis Lindsey guest!
I also cannot stress enough how kind and generous the Jazz organization treats me and the program. (for example, they already asked for the shirt sizes for the kids for the next box. and there are many more things like it). In a way, this is exactly how imagined the Jazz character would be on those matters. I mean, if there is a 'personality' to a team, than I see my Jazz as this kind, team oriented organization, on the court and apparently off it as well.And Dennis - what can I say about him. I had so much respect for him before this all begun , now I can say I appreciate him much much more as a manager and as a human being ( I see these two things inter-wind)

I decided to make this trip a whole personal experience for me and meet as many fans, media and Jazz connected people I can. I will be in SLC on March 1st - 3rd. I will attend the Wolves game and the Nets game.
Since I became a member in this forum I became a true Jazz fan with, at last, a real community (no Jazz fans in Israel.. almost) so I want to thank you guys and also ask if anyone will want to meet me for a high five or something, or if you have any suggestions/ideas for me to make this SLC trip special. Also if you would know anyone that might be interested in helping the kids in my program I would love to hear.

Thanks guys
Gilad (Karpasov)

Lovely story. I know you from this forum for years and glad to hear your experiences. Jazz indeed have this unique character. A story for grandkids for sure.

I post, therefore I am.

I unfortunately won't be able to meet with you but that is cool. Enjoy the game and hold up a Jazzfanz sign!

Awesome story. Things like this never make the news, but should. The Jazz are a class org. You are a class person for helping the youth in your country!

What a great story!! You're right about the character of this organization. So glad you get to come -- you will have a better seat than most fans ever dream of! Congrats!

THIS is why I am a fan of the Jazz! Classy organization that puts people ahead of business... while still making classy business moves. Enjoy your time with Dennis. If you would... ask him what his top 3 favorite books are. I would be intrigued to hear what literature has helped him change the culture of our organization to new heights. Otherwise, just enjoy your time here in the US. People are amazing everywhere you go and I hope you enjoy the people you interact with here in Utah!

Was talking to people at work just this morning about how classy the Jazz organization is, and how jealous I am. I'm represented by the Edmonton Oilers, and you simply *never* see stuff like that happen.

Kudos to all of them. What a franchise.

Hi JazzFanz friends, I have an incredible story (and a small favor to ask). It's hard even for me to believe it is really happening. I apologize ahead, there will be no sarcasm in this post.
In short, I was born in Israel and lived there all my life. I am a Jazz fan since age 12. 20 years ago I started an educational program for underprivileged "at-risk" youth. Basically we take kids from broken families that always saw themselves as failures, and give them new home plus the opportunity to change their life course and become successful and contributing leaders in society. once a year I am traveling to the US to try and raise much needed funding and support to the program. Last season I was fortunate enough to be in Detroit for the season opener. I even prepared a special shirt for the occasion -
1629212.jpg

I was even more fortunate to see Dennis Lindsey walking by me at half time. As soon as he saw my T-shirt he shook my hand and suggested I will write him an Email as he wants to send me a little gift as an appreciation for my long-distance fandom -
2yoev46.jpg

You can read more about my expirince in this lovely article Jody Gennesy wrote about it - https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865642426/Fan-shows-his-long-distance-life-long-loyalty-to-Utah-Jazz-2-all-the-way-from-Israel.html
I was sooo thrilled and excited. In the mail I sent him I suggested that instead of sending a shirt or something to me , he can send it to the kids in our boarding school who really need these kind of things. I was astonished to receive, a month later, a whole box that came all the way from Utah to Israel, full with Jazz gear, mainly shirts and socks, for our students! All of us here, staff and teens were in shock and in excitement. you can see the picture of the kids with shirts here -
1lc3.jpg

Anyway, I wrote him a thank you letter and sent the picture. He was so moved by it. It reminded him of his own family and parents who also devoted their lives to help kids in need. So he writes me back and invite me to be his guest in Vivint for a Jazz game the next time I'm in the US!! All of this happened last year. And now, next week actually, finally, as I am traveling to the States for another fundraising trip, I am going to not only fulfill a childhood dream in visiting Salt Lake City and attending a Jazz home game, but also be Dennis Lindsey guest!
I also cannot stress enough how kind and generous the Jazz organization treats me and the program. (for example, they already asked for the shirt sizes for the kids for the next box. and there are many more things like it). In a way, this is exactly how imagined the Jazz character would be on those matters. I mean, if there is a 'personality' to a team, than I see my Jazz as this kind, team oriented organization, on the court and apparently off it as well.And Dennis - what can I say about him. I had so much respect for him before this all begun , now I can say I appreciate him much much more as a manager and as a human being ( I see these two things inter-wind)

I decided to make this trip a whole personal experience for me and meet as many fans, media and Jazz connected people I can. I will be in SLC on March 1st - 3rd. I will attend the Wolves game and the Nets game.
Since I became a member in this forum I became a true Jazz fan with, at last, a real community (no Jazz fans in Israel.. almost) so I want to thank you guys and also ask if anyone will want to meet me for a high five or something, or if you have any suggestions/ideas for me to make this SLC trip special. Also if you would know anyone that might be interested in helping the kids in my program I would love to hear.

Thanks guys
Gilad (Karpasov)

FANNN-TASTIC! ;)

THIS is why I am a fan of the Jazz! Classy organization that puts people ahead of business... while still making classy business moves. Enjoy your time with Dennis. If you would... ask him what his top 3 favorite books are. I would be intrigued to hear what literature has helped him change the culture of our organization to new heights. Otherwise, just enjoy your time here in the US. People are amazing everywhere you go and I hope you enjoy the people you interact with here in Utah!

I've never come across this, but it certainly caught my attention. Do you ask this question of people often. I can see how you might use it to gain insight into how a person behaves, but do you feel like it really helps you? Also, just out of curiosity, what are your top 3 favorite books? And why?

This is amazing, have to keep this at the top of the forum over whatever trade speculation there is.

Great to see the Jazz are doing this. Also great to see everything you've been doing for these kids. I was at that same Detroit game (studying in Michigan at the time), but I was sitting all the way at the top, so not quite as close.

Awesome story. I probably won't be at the game in person, but if I am I'd definitely love to meet up.

I've never come across this, but it certainly caught my attention. Do you ask this question of people often. I can see how you might use it to gain insight into how a person behaves, but do you feel like it really helps you? Also, just out of curiosity, what are your top 3 favorite books? And why?

More and more I do ask that question. But only of people I sincerely respect. People who have demonstrated character, culture, sacrifice, dedication, etc. I just read "ego is the enemy" and "leadership and self deception" which are two books about changing the culture of your home, business, etc. They were both really quality books that have me believing that the spurs read similar books to develop the same culture. After reading them I have seen tidbits on twitter feeds and insight into Dennis Lindsey and quin Snyder's comments regarding the culture we are developing. The other night quin got furious and the post game they asked him about it. He wasn't pissed at a play, but at a player's visible emotional reaction towards another player. He nipped it in the butt. That is a big take away from those two books.

I loved the book "unbreakable". It was AMAZING! The movie was a terrible and pithy and gutted the book of any meaning.

That is a way cool experience and an even cooler story, have you thought about if you're going to wear a similar t-shirt to the game (a personalized one) and if so what is the message going to be?

That is a way cool experience and an even cooler story, have you thought about if you're going to wear a similar t-shirt to the game (a personalized one) and if so what is the message going to be?
This is actually a very important matter to think about. Thank you!
I'd be happy to get some suggestions here. Something classy please.

Sent from my LG-H815 using JazzFanz mobile app

Thanks guys
Gilad (Karpasov)

I work very close to the airport. If you're flying in during a day I'm working then I'd love to buy you a burger and a beer at Lofty's. I might as well leave that as an open invitation to anyone flying in to SLC, local or not.

I work very close to the airport. If you're flying in during a day I'm working then I'd love to buy you a burger and a beer at Lofty's. I might as well leave that as an open invitation to anyone flying in to SLC, local or not.

Gonna take you up on that someday.