What's new

My hot take on what I'd do in the off-season.

I don't want to trade Gobert, but I'd rather trade him than overpay him. Like @green is saying, Gobert isn't some kind of unicorn. And I'm definitely concerned about that limited big man drop off that all of them seem to go through. Dwight, DAndre Jordan and guys like that just seem to hit a wall in their late 20's and become unplayable in many matchups. He's 28.

My favorite part of Rudy is his passion for winning here in Utah. He could go down as a club legend if he gave some home team discount. I hope that ends up being the case.

Yea we won't trade Gobert.

But getting a haul for him and getting Favors back to replace him would get me excited.

Quin has been okay... so has DL. I do think the moment referenced was tough. I also think Quin gets a lot of credit for being some mad scientist and honestly he doesn't try enough stuff. The defense works when Rudy anchors it, but no one else can execute the scheme... so why don't you have a couple. Try some switching stuff... try some different personnel (he wasn't working with a full deck I know).

The fact that he sits on his challenges and doesn't ask for reviews of hostile acts in key moments is weird. Rudy gets hit in the face no call... ask for a review of a hostile act... it likely isn't deemed as such but the ref sees he clearly ****ed up a call and maybe he gives you the benefit of the doubt on the next one. Make up calls exist... these guys are human. Not getting the challenge in on the Ingles charge was awful... only saves a point but its still a point. It was in the 4th quarter.. the **** you waiting for Quin.

He might be awesome at some of the complex stuff but some of the basic **** ups leave me scratching my head sometimes.

Point taken. However, Quin clearly tried to challenge that specific call and you can overhear the ref saying "I gave you a chance already." To me, since the next play hadn't started yet that should be a suspension type of action for the referee.

Point taken. However, Quin clearly tried to challenge that specific call and you can overhear the ref saying "I gave you a chance already." To me, since the next play hadn't started yet that should be a suspension type of action for the referee.
But he also should have done it immediately... what was he waiting for? He will sit with them in his pocket all the damn time. Its a minor tool but for hells sake use it once in a while. In general I think he doesn't work the refs enough.

I will love the meltdown when we trade Rudy for someone like Allen or sign Fave and we are 4th worst defensive team in the league.

We would need at least 4 good to great defensive players in the starting line-up to offset Rudy's loss.

Last edited:
I will love the meltdown when we trade Rudy for someone like Allen or sign Fave and we are 4th worst defensive league in the team.

We would need at least 4 good to great defensive players in the starting line-up to offset Rudy's loss.

Trade Rudy and let's find out.

The bench sucked because of Davis/Green not panning out and Bojan getting injured. The Mudiay signing was completely fine and overall a good move.
This. I thought Mudiay and Clarkson had some really good moments playing together. I would not be averse to holding onto Mudiay for cheap.

I will love the meltdown when we trade Rudy for someone like Allen or sign Fave and we are 4th worst defensive league in the team.

We are already the 1st worst defensive league in the team, no doubt.

I showed why that wasn't true. Do I want Rudy at 35+ million per year or Whiteside at 20? Whiteside. That is Rudy's problem. It's not skill. It's pay. He will be too expensive for what he brings. Or he will be mad he isn't scoring enough or making enough and then he becomes VASTLY overpaid if he isn't dominating the defensive side of the court.

Speculation is fun but this is by far the most likely thing to happen.

TLDR: Mitchell max extension, extend Gobert 4/120ish, run it back with a couple new fringe pieces.

I think many here would have a different opinion on how to feel about that offseason than this writer does.

If GS dangles the #2 pick for Rudy do you laugh them off the phone or listen?
well you have to give me more than the #2 pick. This draft doesn't have a sure thing in it. I know Rudy struggled in most the games in the playoffs but he led the comeback in game 7. I just do not see a deal with Rudy that works for the Jazz. Our defense is terrible without Rudy? He needs some help at PF and some better wing defenders.

well you have to give me more than the #2 pick. This draft doesn't have a sure thing in it. I know Rudy struggled in most the games in the playoffs but he led the comeback in game 7. I just do not see a deal with Rudy that works for the Jazz. Our defense is terrible without Rudy? He needs some help at PF and some better wing defenders.
GS would have to send back money, so you'd be looking at Green/#2 or Wiggins/#2 for Gobert.

Go big or go home. Trad Rudy for brown if you can. Trade conley and Davis for Harris. Resign clarkson sign favors.

Mitchell
JC
Brown
Joe
Bogie
Royce
Harris
Morgan/Bradley
Favors

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I mean, there are levels to this, no?

I dont hate the guy for hate sake. I def dont like his fit with this team in a backcourt with Donovan who is also small. I feel confident our team is better when Donovan has the ball and he's at PG.

So all those factors, on top of paying him a metric **** ton of money, doesnt make me "hate" him.......I just dont like his fit on the team at all and think those resources should be allocated at other positions.

please. no. nuance.

I showed why that wasn't true. Do I want Rudy at 35+ million per year or Whiteside at 20? Whiteside. That is Rudy's problem. It's not skill. It's pay. He will be too expensive for what he brings. Or he will be mad he isn't scoring enough or making enough and then he becomes VASTLY overpaid if he isn't dominating the defensive side of the court.

I love Rudy to death, but I’m glad he didn’t get another DPOY, got **** during the COVID saga and had a rough playoff series. Maybe that was enough to humble him out of demanding a super max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems no one wants to admit it, but the reason the Jazz look they're headed for 1st/2nd round purgatory--or worse as Gobert/Bojan/Ingles/Conley age--isn't just Mike Conley. Quite simply, the Jazz's best player, whether you think it's Rudy (which the stats would support) or Donovan (which seems to be the popular opinion here) is worse than the best player on most other Western contenders.

--Lakers have Lebron
--Clippers have Kawhi
--Houston has Harden
--Dallas has Doncic
--GSW has Steph
--Denver has Jokic

They made weird tweaks to RPM this year, but Donovan was 51st ranked among shooting guards by that metric. You can argue the accuracy of these advanced metrics--and I don't think Donovan is a below average guard--but none of the players listed above were outside the overall top 10 this season. Donovan has yet to have a season where he was above league average in either EFG% or TS%, and it's not like he makes up for that with tremendous defense. Meanwhile, guys like Harden & Curry shoulder big usage and maintain well above efficiency. The advanced stats like Rudy quite a bit (10th in RPM), but we've seen that certain matchups can blunt his effectiveness.

The bottom line in the NBA is that if you don't have a top 5 player, advancing deep in the playoffs is an uphill climb. We can argue about role players and whether or not Conley was the best use of resources (he wasn't), but ultimately, unless Donovan ups his offensive efficiency, it's unlikely to really matter. The Jazz will still be capped (at best) as a second-round team. And as the roster ages & Mitchell/Rudy sign expensive contracts, just maintaining the status quo of a 50ish win team will become increasingly difficult.

Last edited:
Whiteside is not half the defender of Rudy and is worse offensive however you look. Classic empty stats guy who chases blocks instead of playing actual defense. It's a big downgrade.

Also, Rudy averages 2 fewer shots while shooting higher percentage and playing more. Rudy also has a lower usage rate.

It seems no one wants to admit it, but the reason the Jazz look they're headed for 1st/2nd round purgatory--or worse as Gobert/Bojan/Ingles/Conley age--isn't just Mike Conley. Quite simply, the Jazz's best player, whether you think it's Rudy (which the stats would support) or Donovan (which seems to be the popular opinion here) is worse than the best player on most other Western contenders.

--Lakers have Lebron
--Clippers have Kawhi
--Houston has Harden
--Dallas has Doncic
--GSW has Steph
--Denver has Jokic

They made weird tweaks to RPM this year, but Donovan was 51st ranked among shooting guards by that metric. You can argue the accuracy of these advanced metrics--and I don't think Donovan is a below average guard--but none of the players listed above were outside the overall top 10 this season. Donovan has yet to have a season where he was above league average in either EFG% or TS%, and it's not like he makes up for that with tremendous defense. Meanwhile, guys like Harden & Curry shoulder big usage and maintain well above efficiency. The advanced stats like Rudy quite a bit (10th in RPM), but we've seen that certain matchups can blunt his effectiveness.

The bottom line in the NBA is that if you don't have a top 5 player, advancing deep in the playoffs is an uphill climb. We can argue about role players and whether or not Conley was the best use of resources (he wasn't), but ultimately, unless Donovan ups his offensive efficiency, it's unlikely to really matter. The Jazz will still be capped (at best) as a second-round team. And as the roster ages & Mitchell/Rudy sign expensive contracts, just maintaining the status quo of a 50ish win team will become increasingly difficult.
His playoff stats this year show he might be a top 5 player. He took a big step forward. Mitchell is at the top of many advanced stats for playoffs this year and some for all-time in NBA history.