What's new

My Jazz Offseason Plan

truebludarlz

Like many of you, I look forward to each offseason to much excitement. A lot of speculation from each of us, but only Mr. O'Conner can make the plays. Like you, I have thought, what would I do if I was in his situation, what moves would I work towards. I wanted to make this thread to see what you would do if you were GM of the Jazz for this offseason.

My Offseason Plan.

Goal #1, take advantage of a very talented and lengthy draft class. I would look into obtaining the #2 overall pick from Philly. The only chance we have of doing this, would be to move AK's expiring deal plus a filler (probably Kosta) for Brand (and his 3 year deal) and the #2 pick. Most of you don't want Brand's toxic contract, but I don't think it would be that bad. It would be cheaper than AKs for the first year, we would have to stomach it for the next, then we have an asset in an expiring contract in the third year.

So,

AK + Kosta for Brand + Turner (#2)

Next, I would try to move up to obtain Greg Monroe. He will not be available at #9. This would be possible by working with Golden State. The guys they are looking at can be had a little farther down the draft. So if we package our #9 and our 2011 Memphis pick, we may be able to move up to the #6 spot to nab Monroe. We may have to throw a little more incentive in there for the warriors.

So,

#9 + Memphis 2011 for Monroe (#6)

After the draft is done, I would resign Matthews and let Korver walk. Korver is getting older and is very one dimensional. Turner can fill his void and give much much more. Then comes the Boozer situation. Truth be had, Boozer loves the spotlight and loves money. He will want to leave. He can have the money and the spotlight in New Jersey/Brooklyn. But, only through a sign and trade can he maximize his financial opportunity. With Jersey taking Favors with the 3rd overall pick, they will look to pair him with a scorer and may not need the skill set of Brook Lopez anymore. There has been some speculation that they would move him for the right opportunity. How about Boozer sign and trade for Lopez. It may be a pipe dream, but it does have a chance of coming to fruition.

So,

Boozer for Lopez

Lastly, I would look to add some veteran leadership with our MLE. Whether that be at the PG/SG spot or another big; we are in dire need of a veteran presence for the playoffs.

2010-2011 Lineup would look like:

Williams - Price - Gaines
Matthews - Miles - Jeffers
Turner - Veteran
Millsap - Brand - Monroe
Lopez - Fesenko - Okur

Let me know what you think. I know that this isn't a perfect plan, and may backfire in the end (Brand being a cancer), but it is what I would do, if I was in O'Conner's spot.

First off , if I'm the Nets I would never trade Lopez for just about anything. Lopez is a core player that will be a top five legit all star caliber center for years. Especially Boozer. Nets will get Favors at #3 and have a lethal two punch inside game for years. Second, Jazz need to shed salary to pursue legit free agent prospects down the road. Not get tied up with an aging veteran like Brand for three more years. Third, why give up a future draft pick to move up three spots this year to get someone who may drop to you anyway. If Monroe is gone there will be similar players at #9. These are just some quick thoughts to get started. Thank you.

Well, it's a great dream.
Philly won't trade the #2 pick. Only way they MIGHT do it is for immediate savings - i.e. a team with cap space takes Brand off their hands for no salaries in return. Even then, you just don't trade a potential superstar for nothing in return. Not unless your name is Battistone and you're facing financial disaster.

Second, Boozer has the power to select his new team. We're not getting back a superstar in return. Someone like Chicago, Miami or NJ might tell Carlos' agent: you're free to pursue a sign-and-trade if it involves some lower-tier guys (like the PF Boozer will be supplanting) and a lottery-protected pick, but beyond that, we're not going to trade an all-star just to give you an extra year. Take it or leave it. Pelinka will then try to offer Utah something to get Carlos the extra year. But in the end, Miller and KOC won't budge. They're not taking back over-priced garbage.