What's new

My states governor, on his idiot detection system

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFljeYbceOc

I don't know if I agree (some very smart people lack empathy), but there is a point there.

It is possible I've been in a room with a substantial number of people where the kindest person was the most intelligent, but I don't remember it. In my experience, the extremely talented do not suffer fools gladly. That isn't to say I think the opposite is true where the meanest people are the brightest because I've known a great number of mean people who were dumb as rocks. I think this is a clip of JB Pritzker complementing JB Pritzker for his evolved thinking which he posits is the mark of a superior human.

In my experience, the extremely talented do not suffer fools gladly.
We really do occupy two different universes, it would seem. There are exceptions, but for the most part in my life, the most highly talented people are generous with their time and eager to help others learn.

the most highly talented people are generous with their time and eager to help others learn.
Statistically, your experience is the exception. Research has shown the most intelligent to be reluctant to help with other's projects as opposed to devoting their time towards their own pursuits. High IQ individuals are statistically likely to have fewer friends. They aren't eager to interact with others in any way.

Statistically, your experience is the exception. Research has shown the most intelligent to be reluctant to help with other's projects as opposed to devoting their time towards their own pursuits. High IQ individuals are statistically likely to have fewer friends. They aren't eager to interact with others in any way.

That is your interpretation of one blogger's take on a study. You are wrong in your interpretation of the blogger because the blogger was not discussing helping others nor having empathy, they were discussing the size of the circle of friendships. The blogger is wrong in his interpretation of the study because it did not address the size of a circle of friendships, but the frequency within the last week of meeting with those friends.

Also, the more intelligent people had higher overall socialization rates.
Interestingly, Add Health respondents’ intelligence was significantly positively associated with the frequency of socialization with friends (r = .121, p < .001, n = 14,581); more intelligent individuals socialized with their friends more frequently. The association between intelligence and frequency of socialization with friends was stronger among currently unmarried individuals (r = .131, p < .001, n = 12,091) than among currently married individuals (r = .083, p < .001, n = 2,490). It means that more intelligent individuals did not voluntarily decrease their frequency of socialization with friends, and less intelligent individuals did not voluntarily increase it, in order to take advantage of their respective levels of intelligence to increase their life satisfaction.

This would counter the theory for some scientists, but Kanazawa is an evolutionary psychologist, and not worried about such petty details.

We really do occupy two different universes, it would seem. There are exceptions, but for the most part in my life, the most highly talented people are generous with their time and eager to help others learn.

My experience is the same as yours. Nothing shows one's insecurity in their ability better than an arrogant and overly self-assured attitude. Those who know understand how much they don't know.

yeah i've experienced a lot of highly talented people who are self absorbed self serving arseholes

I associate arrogance with insecurity, pretty much at a 1:1 ratio. Or put another way I would call arrogance an expression of insecurity.

I associate arrogance with insecurity, pretty much at a 1:1 ratio. Or put another way I would call arrogance an expression of insecurity.

you know i hate to disagree with you but .. it certainly can be that It can surely be someone so full of themselves that they just look down on others. For example, do you think Larry Bird was insecure ?

you know i hate to disagree with you but .. it certainly can be that It can surely be someone so full of themselves that they just look down on others. For example, do you think Larry Bird was insecure ?
Looking down on other because you're so awesome is a contradiction in my opinion.

Either everyone is normal and perfectly acceptable and you are special because of how talented you are

or

You are normal and set the standard for talent level and other people are disgustingly incapable of the things they should be able to do.

It can't be both.

Also, it is perfectly reasonable to assume Larry Bird was insecure amongst his NBA peers.

Nothing shows one's insecurity in their ability better than an arrogant and overly self-assured attitude.
Insecurity is not representative of one's talent. Many extremely talented and bright individuals have impostor syndrome. Many dim bulbs are sure they are geniuses. This concept is referred to as the Dunning-Kruger effect. For all those arguing how arrogance / lack-of-niceness is correlated to insecurity, thank you for arguing my point for me. Yes. Individuals of high intellect are more likely to be insecure and shy away from social situations. Dolts are social butterflies who want to save the world. Actual scientific data agrees with us.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGsQES_OdrQ

Looking down on other because you're so awesome is a contradiction in my opinion.

Either everyone is normal and perfectly acceptable and you are special because of how talented you are

or

You are normal and set the standard for talent level and other people are disgustingly incapable of the things they should be able to do.

It can't be both.

Also, it is perfectly reasonable to assume Larry Bird was insecure amongst his NBA peers.

dude c'mon that last sentence is rubbish. And you seem to live in some utopian assumption of what human nature is / should be. There are just trash people and plenty of them.

dude c'mon that last sentence is rubbish. And you seem to live in some utopian assumption of what human nature is / should be. There are just trash people and plenty of them.
Insecurity is a personality trait. It doesn't mean that Bird was some kind of fraud or that he lacked confidence. I think the need to put others down is a sign of insecurity. I didn't watch Bird play. I haven't watched anything about him. I don't find him to be a particularly interesting person, or anything about his sports story to be particularly special in the context of all the other ultra elite athletes I could chose from to care about, of which I don't really care about any of them. Not MJ, Kobe, LeBron, Bird, Malone. I don't care about the people behind talent, generally. Same with musicians, I don't care about any musicians life or views on the world. I don't find them interesting as people. I find their accomplishments somewhat interesting, but nothing about them. So I don't really know **** about Bird or why he acted however he acted, and I don't really know how he acted.

So that said, I can imagine that high level athletes might feel the need to carry themselves a certain way and I know that in that era of the NBA trash talk and that sort of gamesmanship was popular. I don't think that is the same thing as arrogance in the way I'm talking about arrogance. If I'm wrong and Bird was being arrogant more than he was talking trash and engaging in mind game then I stick by what I've said.

For example, do you think Larry Bird was insecure ?
I had not heard Larry Bird was a bad team mate, or refused to help rookies on his team, or anything like that. IIRC, Magic Johnson spent several weeks at his house one summer. I would not expect a player to help out his opponents during a game. What is your source for saying Bird was a "self absorbed self serving arsehole" or the equivalent?

Insecurity is not representative of one's talent. Many extremely talented and bright individuals have impostor syndrome. Many dim bulbs are sure they are geniuses. This concept is referred to as the Dunning-Kruger effect.
That is not exactly what the Dunning-Kruger effect is. When you look at the data and graphs, the more knowledgeable people rated themselves higher than the less knowledgeable people overall, but underrate the level of difference between them and a non-expert. Much like I would say I know almost nothing about quantum mechanics, while colton would have said he has some familiarity with the concept. He would underrate the difference in our degrees of knowledge, but not to the level he would say he knew nothing about it.

As a moderate fan of the Talking Heads, David Byrne seems to be one of those geniuses who is not friendly or helpful. Then again, as a father of a few kids on the autism spectrum, I recognize some of the signs in his behavior. Empathy is harder for those who don't understand social cues well.

I had not heard Larry Bird was a bad team mate, or refused to help rookies on his team, or anything like that. IIRC, Magic Johnson spent several weeks at his house one summer. I would not expect a player to help out his opponents during a game. What is your source for saying Bird was a "self absorbed self serving arsehole" or the equivalent?

didn't say he was an arsehole But when he played he sure was arrogant.