What's new

My two cents on the off season! Free agency, trades and internal development.

hawkeye

It's the off season for the Jazz and this is my post on my thoughts/ideas about what we should do. I keep seeing everyone else post terrible trade ideas and what not. So I figured, what the hell. Everyone should get to propose one idea...
anigif_zps217380ce.gif

First off, I'm all for going after a max guy in Kawhi, Butler, or to a lesser degree Carrol. Assuming that doesn't happen, I'd shift our needs to a back up center and point guard. I'll start with a few ideas for who I think would be interesting in the center position.

1. Robin Lopez-(I know I'll get blasted) Anyone not named Lamarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard is pretty much up for grabs. Since we don't have Tomic, why not invest in Lopez (other than he looks like Sideshow Bob and I used to hate him)
2. Pero Antic- I don't see resigning a back up C as priority for them when they have Paul and Demare to think about.
3. Cole Aldrich- NY firesale
4. Kosta Koufus- Upgrade to Cooley.
Nothing flashy, but it fills a position of need with a solid back up.

Now onto the the PG. In this case, I'm HOPING we package a pick/asset and Trey to move up in the draft. These are solid back up PG Vets that I think could help us, and help Dante as well.

1. Mo Williams-(blah blah blah chucker like Trey blah blah) I'm more interested in his assist numbers. I think he could help our bench even if he is only the peaked version of Trey. Not to mention he is a good locker room guy and would be a good presence for our young guys.
2. Aaron Brooks- Again nothing flashy, but would still be a good back up PG and vet guy to have around.

These are ideas of improving our bench with keeping our core Exum, Burks, Hood, Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Booker together. Also assuming we have a new rookie in the mix, which i'm hoping we can move up because I am not excited about picking at 12.

There it is...

While landing a top tier free agent seems like a good idea, I would rather that this team figure out what its identity is going to be for the long term. Defense seems to be the theme that will carry this team to a championship. Hopefully Gobert's offensive repertoire will develop as his career goes on. Derrick Favors is looking like the super star that he is. It just seemed that there were too many games when our offense was uncertain. Trey Burke was jacking up 15 shots and making 2 or 3. We will also have to wait and see how Alec Burks fits in to the whole system. The Jazz have a lot of money invested in Alec Burks becoming a big time player. Getting a great player now might seem great, but unless it all comes together i don't see much coming out of it. I would rather the team wait another year or 2 to see how Burks and Dante and Co. pan out. just my 2 cents...

It's the off season for the Jazz and this is my post on my thoughts/ideas about what we should do. I keep seeing everyone else post terrible trade ideas and what not. So I figured, what the hell. Everyone should get to propose one idea...
anigif_zps217380ce.gif

First off, I'm all for going after a max guy in Kawhi, Butler, or to a lesser degree Carrol. Assuming that doesn't happen, I'd shift our needs to a back up center and point guard. I'll start with a few ideas for who I think would be interesting in the center position.

1. Robin Lopez-(I know I'll get blasted) Anyone not named Lamarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard is pretty much up for grabs. Since we don't have Tomic, why not invest in Lopez (other than he looks like Sideshow Bob and I used to hate him)
2. Pero Antic- I don't see resigning a back up C as priority for them when they have Paul and Demare to think about.

Now onto the the PG. In this case, I'm HOPING we package a pick/asset and Trey to move up in the draft. These are solid back up PG Vets that I think could help us, and help Dante as well.

1. Mo Williams-(blah blah blah chucker like Trey blah blah) I'm more interested in his assist numbers. I think he could help our bench even if he is only the peaked version of Trey. Not to mention he is a good locker room guy and would be a good presence for our young guys.
2. Aaron Brooks- Again nothing flashy, but would still be a good back up PG and vet guy to have around.

These are ideas of improving our bench with keeping our core Exum, Burks, Hood, Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Booker together. Also assuming we have a new rookie in the mix, which i'm hoping we can move up because I am not excited about picking at 12.

There it is...

This isn't the worst... I think Lopez and Kosta are going to get paid more than we'd like to pay them. They are both very effective. This seems crazy but I could see both or either of them getting $10M a year. If we could get either at a discount (not sure why we'd get them at a discount but strange things happen sometimes...like Paul Millsap's last contract.) They'd both be very good backups and really good trade assets as well (see Mozgov).

Moving up the draft is priority to me assuming its not terribly expensive.

anigif_zps217380ce.gif

There it is...

Honestly, I like the idea of Robin Lopez and he fills a need! The more I think about it, the more I want Jazz to develop some of there core guys. Then spend big money on a wing player. If we could flip Burks for Batum great! If not, I resign Ingles, pick up Bookers/ Cotton options, Then I go after Tyson Chandler! Sure he's a bit injury prone but he brings legit size (practice everyday), solid playoff experience, Solid Jumper, and hes got an aggressive attitude! Could you imagine how good our front court would be? Favors/Gobert/Chandler/Booker. Then I'd draft best avble wing player.

The other thing is the butler Leonard stuff has to stop. Our chances of winning the lottery are greater than the chances that those two come here.

Could see a potential sign and trade with Middleton if they weren't sure about giving him the max but it would likely cost us Rodney hood and a pick.

Also antic is poop. He's a shooting big who isn't good at shooting. He does look like a bond villian though so there's that.

Like I said, with no Tomic we need a back up center and i'm sorry but I don't see Tibor as our savior (if he even came over). Without wasting assets, I listed some attainable ideas. If anyone has a better idea i'm waiting to hear it. Cooley is awful and not a back up in the nba.

The PG spot is also not wasting assets, but trying to gain something better by getting rid of Trey. Both Williams and Brooks are easily attainable. IF we can't get anything asset wise that is better than Trey, i'm fine with him being back up again next year.

We need to sign some guys, I'm just looking at free agents who are realistic without having to give up anything.

Like I said, with no Tomic we need a back up center and i'm sorry but I don't see Tibor as our savior (if he even came over). Without wasting assets, I listed some attainable ideas. If anyone has a better idea i'm waiting to hear it. Cooley is awful and not a back up in the nba.

The PG spot is also not wasting assets, but trying to gain something better by getting rid of Trey. Both Williams and Brooks are easily attainable. IF we can't get anything asset wise that is better than Trey, i'm fine with him being back up again next year.

We need to sign some guys, I'm just looking at free agents who are realistic without having to give up anything.

What about Ognjen Kuzmic and/or James Michael McAdoo two bigs at the end of the Warriors bench who helped Santa Cruz in the DLeague finals. Kuzmic is a seven footer and McAdoo is 6'9". Just a thought.

No I get it. I'd see if we could swap booker for mcroberts and move up two spots in the draft by swapping picks as well. He could play 4 and some 5... Is an excellent passer and good shooter. We'd probably need one more center. I think Tibor is as good as the options you listed other than Lopez or koufos. Salary wise I don't think we can get either of those guys.

Trey is tricky... PGs take a leap in year 3. I could see him being better and at his price I don't know if it makes sense to move him unless we are getting a pick on the 20-30 range. Don't think Mo is a better option ATM. I also like Cotton and think he sticks around.

If Lowry is truly available I think he'd make some sense for us.

Another guy to keep in mind is Jared Dudley... Good shooter can play 3 or 4 and is a really good teammate. Not sure what he'll get but I don't think Mil resigns him.

What about Ognjen Kuzmic and/or James Michael McAdoo two bigs at the end of the Warriors bench who helped Santa Cruz in the DLeague finals. Kuzmic is a seven footer and McAdoo is 6'9". Just a thought.

I just don't see that as an upgrade to signing 4 different Dleague guys to 10 day contracts. It would be nice to see a consistent lineup with a solid back up center, and Tomic kind of crushed my hopes on that. Hence why i'm discussing other potential impact guys.

No I get it. I'd see if we could swap booker for mcroberts and move up two spots in the draft by swapping picks as well. He could play 4 and some 5... Is an excellent passer and good shooter. We'd probably need one more center. I think Tibor is as good as the options you listed other than Lopez or koufos. Salary wise I don't think we can get either of those guys.

Trey is tricky... PGs take a leap in year 3. I could see him being better and at his price I don't know if it makes sense to move him unless we are getting a pick on the 20-30 range. Don't think Mo is a better option ATM. I also like Cotton and think he sticks around.

If Lowry is truly available I think he'd make some sense for us.

Another guy to keep in mind is Jared Dudley... Good shooter can play 3 or 4 and is a really good teammate. Not sure what he'll get but I don't think Mil resigns him.

I agree with both the Cotton and Lowry ideas. I've been a fan of Lowry since Houston. I don't hate Burke, but even this year his % dropped and really nothing improved. Though he is cheap, I just want our PG spot to improve and not be the clear weakest link on our team.

Kuzmic was a second round pick in 2012. He does occupy space and might take up just enough minutes to let Rudy flourish. McAdoo lead both the Warriors and Nuggets in scoring and rebounding in a preseason game. He was undrafted.

Could be some good options then, I didn't know anything about them! Cheap signing without taking away from Gobert/Favors.