What's new

Napoleon Dynamite cartoon

jackpotter

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/12/napoleon-dynamite-cartoon_n_759259.html

Deadline Hollywood reports that Fox has picked up an animated series based on the 2004 cult hit "Napoleon Dynamite" for next season.

The network is also ordering an animated series called "Allen Gregory," which is co-written and executive produced by Jonah Hill.

The "Napoleon Dynamite" series will be voiced by the original cast of the film, and the original writers and directors, Jared and Jerusha Hess, adapted the movie for television with the assistance of Mike Scully, a veteran of "The Simpsons." So far, though, Fox has only ordered six episodes of the series, something Deadline claims is frustrating to the producers of the show.

Gosh, this would have been the best news ever about 6 years ago. It probably would have won boat loads of Emmys if they would have put it on the air.

In related news, the cast and staff of Napoleon Dynamite were available six years later. Imagine that!

As far as I know, outside of some film roles for Heder following the release of Dynamite that immediately petered out once it was apparent the kid was a one trick pony, the only person from the film who has achieved any subsequent success is Tina Majorino, who has done some television work.

In related news, the cast and staff of Napoleon Dynamite were available six years later. Imagine that!

As far as I know, outside of some film roles for Heder following the release of Dynamite that immediately petered out once it was apparent the kid was a one trick pony, the only person from the film who has achieved any subsequent success is Tina Majorino, who has done some television work.

I see Pedro in films all the time.

Wow, that's some weird hostility for a pretty innocuous topic. Did Jon Heder beat you up in grade school or something?

It's hogwash, of course -- all of the principle actors in Napoleon Dynamite have been working steadily. But who cares if they are or aren't? It's Napoleon Dynamite. I can't think of a single reason to be angry about it.

So it turns out Napoleon Dynimite is a modern day Outsiders when it comes to launching actors into super-stardom.

Oh come on. Nobody in Napoleon Dynamite had the potential to be anything other than a good character actor. What were the odds that the guy who played Pedro would turn into Brad Pitt? Is it a disappointment that Tina Majarino isn't making 5 million per film? They all seem to be doing fine -- about what you'd expect. I didn't walk out of Napoleon Dynamite thinking: I just saw the birth of multiple superstars. Nobody thought that. The fact that they're not superstars is no victory.

Oh come on. Nobody in Napoleon Dynamite had the potential to be anything other than a good character actor. What were the odds that the guy who played Pedro would turn into Brad Pitt? Is it a disappointment that Tina Majarino isn't making 5 million per film? They all seem to be doing fine -- about what you'd expect. I didn't walk out of Napoleon Dynamite thinking: I just saw the birth of multiple superstars. Nobody thought that. The fact that they're not superstars is no victory.

I'm joking man. I liked ND and I wish all the actors who played in it the best of luck. I think at one point my wife bought a Vote for Pedro T-shirt.

On a side note, I work with a guy who was an extra in Gentlemen Broncos. So far he hasn't seen fit to quit his day job.

Uncle Rico was Ben's dad on "Lost".

Jon Gries was a pretty well established character actor even before Napoleon Dynamite. He was in Real Genius - one of my faves back in the day - as the weird older guy who would disappear into the closet and filled out all the contest cards.

Wow, that's some weird hostility for a pretty innocuous topic.

I don't think it was hostile at all. I was merely commenting that all the actors were still available for television work. That's a rarity and the key issue that most revivals stall on.

Archie Moses said:
I see Pedro in films all the time.

I suspect you're defining "all the time" pretty loosely here. There are some fleeting glimpses of the guy in films like Crank, but that's about it. Apparently he's a character now on Eastbound and Down. That's a big step up for him.

You said "Imagine that!" with an exclamation mark. You called Heder a one-trick pony. You made a special point of saying that none of the actors in the movie were successful. None of those things are hallmarks of neutrality. They're not even true. If they were true, it still would have sounded hostile; the fact that you felt the need to put a negative spin on the whole thing made it sound doubly so.

Look -- I don't even care about this.

Not to jump on the hate train or anything, but......

John Heder is a one-trick pony. He can play Napoleon Dynamite and that's about it. I've seen him in a few other movies and hosting SNL and it was all pretty brutal. Just my opinion, but I thought he was especially awful in Blades of Glory.

He should latch onto the Napoleon cartoon and hold onto it like grim death. In fact, he should push for a Dynamite sequel, appear at kids parties as Napoleon, and even dress as Napoleon when he's nailing his wife. All Dynamite, all the time should be his motto.

He shouldn't feel a bit of shame about it either. Even if he is just a one-trick pony, that's one more trick than any of us have. Heder should be on the teet of that cash cow until the day he dies.

Fox + Animated Series = Fail.

They either cancel shows before they should have (Futurama, Family Guy) and then think about bringing them back when they aren't good anymore, or they just come up with absolutely terrible ideas (Cleveland Show, this) and rely on people only watching out of curiosity.

unluckyseventeen wrote:

Fox + Animated Series = Fail.

Are you f-ing kidding me, or are you being sarcastic? Regardless of what they initially did with Family Guy, it's now one of the biggest shows on TV and has been for years. I think it's actually a fact that Fox has the 3 most successful cartoons in TV history with The Simpsons, Family Guy and King Of The Hill. They also have success with American Dad.

Saw this in the paper today, I'll wait to see it before judging it, but it's a better idea than some of the other things i've seen become animated series.

Yes the pedro guy is on Eastbound and Down, best show on tv