What's new

Nash compliments Stockton

Jeffrey32

Who is the toughest point guard you faced during your career? Steve Nash: Good question. John Stockton. reddit - See more at: https://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.PPtNomsX.dpuf

I thought it was always weird and wrong that Nash got compared to Stockton just because they were both white and PGs. Both great passers and tough competitors, but Stockton had superior defense and while Stockton was a very good shooter, Nash was a great shooter. More importantly their style of play was just diffI think a closer comparison for Nash is Mark Price (and not because they are both white). In terms of longevity and accolades Nash was far superior but their games were similar. I think Nash just took Price's blueprint to the next level.

Price's Career: 15.2p, 6.7a, 90.4% FT, 47% FG, 40.2% 3pt
Nash's Career: 14.3p, 8.5a, 90.4% FT, 49% FG, 42.8% 3pt

I thought it was always weird and wrong that Nash got compared to Stockton just because they were both white and PGs. Both great passers and tough competitors, but Stockton had superior defense and while Stockton was a very good shooter, Nash was a great shooter. More importantly their style of play was just diffI think a closer comparison for Nash is Mark Price (and not because they are both white). In terms of longevity and accolades Nash was far superior but their games were similar. I think Nash just took Price's blueprint to the next level.

For fun I was looking at Stockton's stats. In his last season he average about 27 minutes, played in all 82 games averaged 10.8 ppg, .483 from 2, .384 from 3 .826 FT 7.7 assists and 2.5 rebounds. The assist total this season would have made him 7th in the NBA and he did this while he was 40-41 years old. Trey this year averaged 12.8 ppg on .368 shooting, .320 from 3 78.8% FT 4.2 assists and 2.3 rebounds. Stockton was a freaking stud.

If we could have 40 year old Stockton next year(no other roster changes), we are probably 50 wins team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAPu4nLzDbQ

Nice compilation. Stockton was unbelievable.

I really miss the Seattle Supersonics.

Loud fans, cool logo, and tough matchups.

Stockton was incredible. It's too bad that his surrounding cast was too often way too much suck. From Felton Spencer to John Starks. If the Jazz could have opened up their wallets no doubt we'd have a few banners.

Just a serviceable center like Splitter or Bogut would have been enough. People forget how much suck Spencer, Tag, and Police Impersonator were. We literally went a decade playing 4 on 5 offensively until Money Memo came to town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAPu4nLzDbQ

Nice compilation. Stockton was unbelievable.
Stockton's ability to pass off of the dribble with either hand was a thing of beauty. I've never seen another player with close to his accuracy and vision as him on a one handed off the dribble pass.

On a scale of 1-10 his passing was a 12

I'd be thrilled with another passer at a 10.

On a scale of 1-10 his passing was a 12

I'd be thrilled with another passer at a 10.
One of the interesting things about Stockton is that we often think of great passing as flashy, but his game was never flashy. It was simply fundamental. He never made things more complicated than they had to be.

Watching these old videos is a stark reminder of how good he was. It's rare in today's NBA to see passes like his, particularly the long bullet passes threaded through traffic. How did he pull those off? You would think they would be susceptible to steals but somehow that rarely happened. The other incredible thing is that his teammates almost always caught his passes perfectly, even when they had to be thrown into a difficult location. Stockton seemed to have an almost telepathic connection to his teammates. I agree with you that if we found anyone even close to his skill level we would be tearing up the league. Snyder's offense would blossom with this sort of a distributor because all of the off ball cutting would be sure to create lots of open shots.

One of the interesting things about Stockton is that we often think of great passing as flashy, but his game was never flashy. It was simply fundamental. He never made things more complicated than they had to be.

Watching these old videos is a stark reminder of how good he was. It's rare in today's NBA to see passes like his, particularly the long bullet passes threaded through traffic. How did he pull those off? You would think they would be susceptible to steals but somehow that rarely happened. The other incredible thing is that his teammates almost always caught his passes perfectly, even when they had to be thrown into a difficult location. Stockton seemed to have an almost telepathic connection to his teammates. I agree with you that if we found anyone even close to his skill level we would be tearing up the league. Snyder's offense would blossom with this sort of a distributor because all of the off ball cutting would be sure to create lots of open shots.

Kendall Marshall is probably available to be picked up...

Just sayin

Kendall Marshall is probably available to be picked up...

Just sayin
resized_creepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-that-made-no-sense-f182b2.jpg

I used to feel that this was an inappropriate comparison, but in some old Stockton clips you can see it. I watched 1988 or 1989 playoff game against the Lakers and Stockton's movements looked so much like Nash that it was a little spooky.

I really miss the Seattle Supersonics.

Loud fans, cool logo, and tough matchups.

Stockton was incredible. It's too bad that his surrounding cast was too often way too much suck. From Felton Spencer to John Starks. If the Jazz could have opened up their wallets no doubt we'd have a few banners.

Just a serviceable center like Splitter or Bogut would have been enough. People forget how much suck Spencer, Tag, and Police Impersonator were. We literally went a decade playing 4 on 5 offensively until Money Memo came to town.

Damn straight. **** the millers they are a stain on this great state. I expect when Gail passes that John and Karl will finally air there beef. I know Karl will. They were loyal to the millers for two decades and received for it what? The used car sales pitch. A second hand deal, twice.

Larry is lucky john and Jerry and Karl were loyal to each other. If not for that then they could have bankrupted Larry the three of them could have. Probably should have too but then we wouldn't have a professional sports team in this state.

Damn straight. **** the millers they are a stain on this great state. I expect when Gail passes that John and Karl will finally air there beef. I know Karl will. They were loyal to the millers for two decades and received for it what? The used car sales pitch. A second hand deal, twice.

Larry is lucky john and Jerry and Karl were loyal to each other. If not for that then they could have bankrupted Larry the three of them could have. Probably should have too but then we wouldn't have a professional sports team in this state.

Is this an attempt to live up to your name?