What's new

NBA 75th Anniversary Team

LoPo

That was a pretty neat presentation last night, but I feel like some of the selections were pretty bogus.

I don't believe that Damian Lillard is one of the best players from the last 75 years. Kind of shocked he's on the team if we're being honest.

And how does AD make the team over Dwight?

That was a pretty neat presentation last night, but I feel like some of the selections were pretty bogus.

I don't believe that Damian Lillard is one of the best players from the last 75 years. Kind of shocked he's on the team if we're being honest.

Popularity and recency bias. This is all about who is popular right now, along with the established ones. The problem will be when they remove someone who was on the 50th anniversary team and replace them with someone popular right now. They should add to the already established lists, not replace. Otherwise you completely lose the legacy that built the league. I am sure a lot of players would dominate Mikan now with higher skill sets and more athleticism, but it does not mean he was not one of the greatest players in NBA history. The history part should matter.

There are 76 (4*19) names on the list.

The one that really jumps out at me is Carmelo. How is he more deserving than, say Tracy McGrady? Longevity? Their stats are not that much different. Not sure their impact on the game was that much different either. Does he deserve it over Yao Ming? The guy that really opened China to the NBA and put up some great stats of his own? That is a spot that is very debatable imo.

Anthony Davis is another questionable addition. So him being injured on the Lakers is more impactful than him being injured on the Pels? How is he more deserving than Ming? He rode LBJs coattails to a "ring" I guess. But there are more than a few on that list without a ring.

Durant should be left off because he is a douchebag.

Westbrook should have an asterisk as a train-wreck that puts up crazy stats. Not a great player, but a great stat-stuffer for sure.

On a serious note I do not think Rodman deserves a spot here. If he does then so does Draymond Green. They filled similar roles on similarly dominating teams with similar results.

There are 76 (4*19) names on the list.
They just need to asterisk one of them. I vote they asterisk either *Carmelo Anthony or *Russel Westbrook as both of them are questionable. Maybe even *Anthony Davis.

Popularity and recency bias. This is all about who is popular right now, along with the established ones. The problem will be when they remove someone who was on the 50th anniversary team and replace them with someone popular right now. They should add to the already established lists, not replace. Otherwise you completely lose the legacy that built the league. I am sure a lot of players would dominate Mikan now with higher skill sets and more athleticism, but it does not mean he was not one of the greatest players in NBA history. The history part should matter.
Everybody from the 50 list made the 75 list.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Dame is close for me at least. He was quite dominant from 17-21 (28/7/5 over that span), and has 6 all nba selections (7 if you count the weird Covid season), including a first team selection. If his teams could have had better post season success he would be a no brainer.

ESPN just ranked the list and has Stockton and Malone at 24 and 23 respectively.

Yeah, I was just about to post this.

They put Charles Barkley over Karl Malone.

And KD over Hakeem.

And Giannis over Malone and Stockton.

This 75 list is so full of hot garbage. Artis Gilmore doesn't get in but Dame does? Dwight Howard was an MVP candidate for years while having every statistical edge on AD.

ESPN just ranked the list and has Stockton and Malone at 24 and 23 respectively.

The paragraph of Malone says he’s the most decorated player never to win a championship, yet Barkley is ahead of him. How does that make sense?
Yeah, I was just about to post this.

They put Charles Barkley over Karl Malone.

And KD over Hakeem.

And Giannis over Malone and Stockton.

This 75 list is so full of hot garbage. Artis Gilmore doesn't get in but Dame does? Dwight Howard was an MVP candidate for years while having every statistical edge on AD.
I feel dirty saying this but I agree with you.

The paragraph of Malone says he’s the most decorated player never to win a championship, yet Barkley is ahead of him. How does that make sense

2x MVP vs. 1x
14x all star vs. 11x
2x finals appearance vs. 1x
11x all NBA first team vs. 5x
3x all defensive first team vs. 0x

I believe that’s what they mean by decorated. But in terms of why he’s listed above, I’d probably mention a boost from personality notability and post-retirement relevance. A form of the recency bias mentioned above. I’d imagine most the people compiling these lists are in their 20s.

2x MVP vs. 1x
14x all star vs. 11x

I believe that’s what they mean by decorated. But in terms of why he’s listed above, I’d probably mention a boost from personality notability and post-retirement relevance. A form of the recency bias mentioned above. I’d imagine most the people compiling these lists are in their 20s.
There was also something boring to the consistency of Stockton and Malone and I think they get weirdly penalized for it.

2x MVP vs. 1x
14x all star vs. 11x

I now realize I failed to count his Lakers’ finals appearance. I’ll leave it at 2.

I think had all the players from the 90’s that were named to the all 75 team would be way better in this era including Malone. Stockton would be considered a marksman and great scorer while also being just as efficient and Malone would have a deadly three point shot as well. Imagine them on this jazz team over Gobert and Mitchell.