What's new

NBA.com article on the Jazz' struggles.

Siro

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
https://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/01/25/studies-in-crisis-management/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Most amusing part:

"He said “of course not” when it was mentioned that a franchise possessing Andrei Kirilenko’s expiring $17.8 million contract appears unlikely to make a major move as the stretch run approaches. Thus, the Jazz will likely have to dig their own way out of a deepening hole.
“That would be what [Sloan] wants,” Williams said. “I’ve heard him say that on numerous occasions. So I guess that’s what we’re going to have to do.”
When Williams was asked if he has the ability to ask Sloan for on-the-court changes, his response was layered in sarcasm.
“We’ve been running the same plays for 23 years. Why change now?” Williams said.
He added: “I’m just going to play basketball, man. That’s all I can do.”

“We’ve been running the same plays for 23 years. Why change now?” Williams said.
He added: “I’m just going to play basketball, man. That’s all I can do.”

Not a lot different from what many of us here have been saying. Same ol' Jer, same ol' Jazz, same ol' results.

Sometimes leadership is trumped by frustration and organizational stagnation. I have seen plenty of managers get frustrated enough with inane, outdated, or just plain stupid company policies that they seek opportunities elsewhere. They were still good leaders, but when the organization and established policies and procedures are so rigid and uncompromising that they limit or completely short-circuit your ability to lead, then you are right in seeking employment elsewhere. And often these organizations are the ones that struggle and falter when things get tough.

aRTICLE said:
Ultimately, Sloan will decide what goes on with the Jazz, same way he has for the past 23 years. But this can’t bode well for the future. Williams will be a free agent one day and you have to wonder if he wants to spend the prime of his career butting heads over the offense and personnel issues while his All-Star peers chase titles together elsewhere.

What!? Sloan makes personnel descions? What ever happened to GM's manage, coaches coach and players play?

I thought the Jazz approach of "its not a problem if we ignore it" worked well last year for Boozer--it wasn't a distraction. But then Boozer was on his best behaviour by orders of his agent. If Deron goes the Carlos Arroyo route and keeps the problem alive the Jazz will be forced to do what they don't want to do....take action.

Someone needs to grow a pair (Kevin O'Connor) and make some decisions on his own. Oh, and to be honest, I'd rather this team be FUN to watch than make the playoffs and fail in the first or second round. Get something going that we can be excited for. The way I see it, this franchise has two choices:

First choice: Trade for someone now (a wing who can create/spread the floor - even if that means giving up some first rounders).
Second choice: Start building for the future and investing in younger talent (you can kiss Deron's *** goodbye).

Oh, and there IS a third choice: Do nothing (idiotic, stupid, but the most realistic option with this team's history).

Please, lets make some changes. This team needs some sort of a shakeup whether it be for this year or for the future.

Someone needs to grow a pair (Kevin O'Connor) and make some decisions on his own. Oh, and to be honest, I'd rather this team be FUN to watch than make the playoffs and fail in the first or second round. Get something going that we can be excited for. The way I see it, this franchise has two choices:

First choice: Trade for someone now (a wing who can create/spread the floor - even if that means giving up some first rounders).
Second choice: Start building for the future and investing in younger talent (you can kiss Deron's *** goodbye).

Oh, and there IS a third choice: Do nothing (idiotic, stupid, but the most realistic option with this team's history).

Please, lets make some changes. This team needs some sort of a shakeup whether it be for this year or for the future.

I wrote a piece called Trade Dwill about building for the future and it wasnt well liked. But Utah does need to trade AK for some pieces. Or maybe gamble abit and finally realize Millsap-Jefferson doesnt work, Just like Jefferson-Love last year. And trade him for Melo and Smith! I agree Utah needs to do something to make me want to watch every game again!

Ak for Murphy-Morrows. Then Millsap-Hayward and Fez for Melo. Get it done Mr Oconnor!!

General Jerry Custer...have fun going down with the ship moron. At least Deron will be bright enough to jump on the Lakers liferaft.

What the hell are they going to change to? A fast break, wide open offense with Williams walking the rock up the court? Jeepers, Williams even has Nissalke complaining about his over dribbling.

If anything, Jerry has never given a player more freedom to do what the hell he wants out there.

...hey, come on! Admit it! All ya all.....are now looking forward to the 1 year lockout the owners are going to slap on these pathetic knot-heads!