What's new

NBA/D-League/NCAA

green

With all the hubbub going on about making freshmen ineligible for their freshmen season, it seems like there is a super easy fix to all this:

- If you go to college, you aren't eligible for the draft for three years.
- If you don't go to college, you are eligible after one year removed from high school (or whatever legalese you need)
- You can sign a D League contract out of high school. This allows players to play for one year, get paid, and takes them out of the NCAA. It screws over Kentucky, but every other school is just fine. Anyways, Callipari said he just wants what's best for the kids, so he would love this idea of his kids getting paid out of high school.
- The D League contract would be a three year deal. The amount is whatever the kid can get. If Idaho wants to give Jabari Parker a 3 year/$300,000 deal, good for Jabari. The only caveat is that after each year, the kid can make himself eligible for the draft if he wants.
- At the end of the three years, each D League kid is treated the same as a kid coming out of high school.

This protects the NCAA. They get kids for three years, so academics become more of a priority.
This protects the kids. They can get paid out of high school. No more NCAA making money off a kid with no other options. Plus, the kids get to stay stateside and still have good coaching.
This protects the NBA. Weeds out knuckleheads. If they can't handle a $45,000 D League gig, they probably can't handle a $1,000,000 NBA gig. Also, plus the NBA doesn't have to take a kid out of high school.
This helps the D League. They can get a LeBron, Wiggins, etc. sells more tickets, can televise some games, etc.

Am I crazy?

I'd rather have a kid get 2 years of college though... I think that's better for the league as a whole.

I really like what you are saying. Two years or three years sounds about right. Doesn't hockey/baseball do something where a player can be drafted by the professional league and still play a couple years of college/minor league until they get their professional contract? Larry Bird did it when he was drafted right? Why isn't this done in basketball? I apologize for my ignorance, I only really follow professional basketball.

Looked it up... Apparently because of the "Bird Collegiate Rule" it no longer can be done. (A lot of rules based on Larry Bird...)