What's new

NBA Free Agency Moves in General (related to the Jazz, but not just moves made by the Jazz)

I don't want Olynyk, soft and lazy player...better to sign Jerebko or James Johnson!

Olynyk is well known for getting into tustles. I don't think I'd say soft. He can be a stretch big for the Jazz and someone to punch Draymond Greene in the mouth. I'd love to have him.

That's a big no for me on ol' pube chin from jazzfanz dog. But I've been wrong before because I understand that I know nothing about basketball.

Casspi to the Warriors too...

Wake up Lindsey, make something!

Do we really want to just fill a spot with someone we really don't care about? I'd rather make a big trade or stand mostly pat. Let the guys that need a chance prove something. Exum, Hood, Favors, Mitchell...

2017 free agency is basically over. If we are looking at free agents than our sights should be set on 2018.

Great! Now give a backup center big money.

It's like the Jazz have taken my "what not to do" list for the off-season and are checking them one by one:

1. Get Rubio and give up a first for it.
2. Overpay Ingles, let Bartlestein dictate what you pay for him
3. After Ingles overpayment is secured - lose Hayward
4. Pay back up center big salary and try to fit him into a PF role.

What's next? Anybody remember something else I've hated as an idea before the off-season started?

5. Dump Favors for capspace.
6. ???

Great! Now give a backup center big money.

It's like the Jazz have taken my "what not to do" list for the off-season and are checking them one by one:

1. Get Rubio and give up a first for it.
2. Overpay Ingles, let Bartlestein dictate what you pay for him
3. After Ingles overpayment is secured - lose Hayward
4. Pay back up center big salary and try to fit him into a PF role.

What's next? Anybody remember something else I've hated as an idea before the off-season started?

5. Dump Favors for capspace.
6. ???

The Jazz could always back out of the Ingles contract if they really wanted to....

The Rubio deal was a steal in hindsight. The OKC pick just isnt valuable as it was if OKC was just a fringe playoff team.

The Jazz could always back out of the Ingles contract if they really wanted to....

The Rubio deal was a steal in hindsight. The OKC pick just isnt valuable as it was if OKC was just a fringe playoff team.

Why can they back out of Ingles deal. They agreed to a deal whether pen is on paper they are obligated and likely could be sued for specific performance and damages if he leaves money. That ain't an option.

Rubio gives us another great piece along Gobert's timeline to build around. Awesome acquisition.

In a weird way Rubio makes more sense for this team after we lost Hayward. We can use his playmaking now that we lost our best playmaker and offensive creator.

Why can they back out of Ingles deal. They agreed to a deal whether pen is on paper they are obligated and likely could be sued for specific performance and damages if he leaves money. That ain't an option.

You can't be sued for backing out of a verbal agreement. DeAndre Jordan did it two years ago. The moratorium is suppose to exist for this reason (I believe, maybe there is a different reason I'm not aware of).

In a weird way Rubio makes more sense for this team after we lost Hayward. We can use his playmaking now that we lost our best playmaker and offensive creator.

I was originally on that train of though that Rubio acquisition would be bad if we lost Hayward, but we gave up so little to get it, it was basically a no-brainer.

You can't be sued for backing out of a verbal agreement. DeAndre Jordan did it two years ago. The moratorium is suppose to exist for this reason (I believe, maybe there is a different reason I'm not aware of).

Verbal agreements are binding. Mavs may have had some recourse, but tough to make a player play for you. Moratorium is to set up the financials and cap (finish the audit etc.). Why would the moratorium be allowed to let players and teams walk away from verbal agreements?

We could ask him if he still wants to be here and mutually walk away, but just saying nevermind would likely lead to legal actions if he got offered a lower deal... no faksies or take backs.

I think Rubio won't worry as much if he is controlling the ball. I still like the get and think there is some upside. We have fixed some flaws before and I think we can help him. The things he does well are hard to teach.

I think Hood may be helped a little as well. Not as much thinking... just let it fly damnit.

Verbal agreements are binding. Mavs may have had some recourse, but tough to make a player play for you. Moratorium is to set up the financials and cap (finish the audit etc.). Why would the moratorium be allowed to let players and teams walk away from verbal agreements?

We could ask him if he still wants to be here and mutually walk away, but just saying nevermind would likely lead to legal actions if he got offered a lower deal... no faksies or take backs.

Link?

If a player can back out of a verbal agreement to sign a deal w/o legal recourse, so can the teams.