What's new

NBA Free Agency Moves in General (related to the Jazz, but not just moves made by the Jazz)

On Locked on Jazz today, David said to keep an eye on Diaw's non-guaranteed deal and Wizards are in tax hell. He floated Makieff Morris as a name to watch. Locke is a bit of a tool, but he floated George Hill, Boris Diaw, and Ricky Rubio before all those trades happened.

Other teams have been waiving non guaranteed deals instead of trading them.

Is the market for these contracts dry?

The best the Jazz might be able to do is trade Diaw for a guy like Ed Davis and get a 2nd round pick back.

That gives the Jazz a backup center on a 1 year deal.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

The best the Jazz might be able to do is trade Diaw for a guy like Ed Davis and get a 2nd round pick back.

Not sure yet... don't think anyone wants space yet but they may want out of the luxury tax midseason.

If we keep Favs I don't want to get another center. Rely on Bradley for any leftover minutes or if there are injuries.

Not sure yet... don't think anyone wants space yet but they may want out of the luxury tax midseason.

If we keep Favs I don't want to get another center. Rely on Bradley for any leftover minutes or if there are injuries.
Yeah, but using Diaw's contract to absorb something might only provide a draft pick if that player is a center.

Since Davis only has a year left he makes sense. The Jazz don't have to play him over Bradley if they don't want.

Yeah, but using Diaw's contract to absorb something might only provide a draft pick if that player is a center.

Since Davis only has a year left he makes sense. The Jazz don't have to play him over Bradley if they don't want.

Why would it have to be a center? Was just stating my preference. I'd rather not get another center.

On Locked on Jazz today, David said to keep an eye on Diaw's non-guaranteed deal and Wizards are in tax hell. He floated Makieff Morris as a name to watch. Locke is a bit of a tool, but he floated George Hill, Boris Diaw, and Ricky Rubio before all those trades happened.

I don't like him as a person. As a player he'd be a good fit, but I highly doubt we'd get him just for salary relief. Would have to include an asset and yeah Wall would be pissed. If we trade with the Wiz it won't be for Morris imo.

Because centers are harder to move for teams now so it would make sense they would return a higher profit if you take one on.

Maybe... teletovic is a non center option... deng too. Dudley might be available through salary dump and Toronto paid a first to dump Carroll.

It is certainly more likely to be a center but doesn't hav to be imo.

Maybe... teletovic is a non center option... deng too. Dudley might be available through salary dump and Toronto paid a first to dump Carroll.

It is certainly more likely to be a center but doesn't hav to be imo.
I never said it had to be lmao

Deng is a 3 year deal that is very expensive.

Dudley and Teletovic are 2 year deals.

Multiple years is what causes those contracts to be tough moves that require more value to be added.

The best case for the Jazz IMO is to deal in 1 year deals. In most cases teams aren't going to give you much to just dump a 1 year deal. If I'm the Jazz I'm not taking on future salary. I think the only way you get asset value in a trade for a single year contract dump is to take a center from a team like Portland. They happen to have a guy who fits that criteria in Davis.

Portland just drafted two centers in the first round and have 4 other players who play center on the roster.

I never said it had to be lmao

Deng is a 3 year deal that is very expensive.

Dudley and Teletovic are 2 year deals.

Multiple years is what causes those contracts to be tough moves

The best case for the Jazz IMO is to deal in 1 year deals. In most cases teams aren't going to give you much to just dump a 1 year deal. If I'm the Jazz I'm not taking on future salary. I think the only way you get asset value in a trade for a single year contract dump is to take a center from a team like Portland. They happen to have a guy who fits that criteria in Davis.

Portland just drafted two centers in the first round and have 4 other players who play center on the roster.

I don't see our cap space as all that valuable next year in acquiring players. If our cap space being used as a rental this year nets a second round pick I'd rather get a first for a wing/stretch 4 that we have a better chance at using.

It depends on if we are retaining Favors... I think Exum and Hood will be staying. The Deng deal is an albatross for sure but if it netted a bunch of assets I'd consider it.

Like if we had done the Carroll deal... I would have been fine with that.

Washington may want to dump Jason Smith and Satoransky... Satoransky is kind of interesting. Shot 40% from 3 in euro league but sucked last year. Problem is he is a 1/2 and we really kind of need 3/4 types.

Smith can shoot and is best used as a backup 5... if we took Smith I'd ask for a first round pick. Both players are okay in a vacuum, but not great roster fits unless we expect to trade Favs and want to bring Bradley along slowly. Would get Washington out of the tax.

I would consider doing Layman, Davis and Second rounder for Diaw... I think I'd rather have Layman than a second rounder... he's interesting.

I've been watching the waivers too. I convinced myself that in each case the team wanted to cut a player because it made more sense than acquiring someone else, or the non-guaranteed was so small the team couldn't use it to acquire another player. It might not be true but it made me feel better.

No matter the other teams motives for cutting not trading I have been optimistic that there are now fewer teams with non-guaranteed deals who can help those teams desperate to move salary.

Good Luck Mr. Lindsey.

I don't see our cap space as all that valuable next year in acquiring players. If our cap space being used as a rental this year nets a second round pick I'd rather get a first for a wing/stretch 4 that we have a better chance at using.

It depends on if we are retaining Favors... I think Exum and Hood will be staying. The Deng deal is an albatross for sure but if it netted a bunch of assets I'd consider it.

Like if we had done the Carroll deal... I would have been fine with that.
Space is flexibility. You don't want to be stuck with unnecessary money.

Space is flexibility. You don't want to be stuck with unnecessary money.

Flexibility is only beneficial if you use it. In maintaining our flexibility we have had some opportunity cost loss.

I don't know that we need flexibility this year or next. 3 years is tough to project. I do know that we need opportunities to get high level talent and getting 1st rounders is our best chance at landing that. Most of the picks don't work out so you need as many bites at the apple as possible.

Well, we have 4 more days to help someone out by using Diaw's contract.

Flexibility is only beneficial if you use it. In maintaining our flexibility we have had some opportunity cost loss.

I don't know that we need flexibility this year or next. 3 years is tough to project. I do know that we need opportunities to get high level talent and getting 1st rounders is our best chance at landing that. Most of the picks don't work out so you need as many bites at the apple as possible.

We DEFINITELY need it next year. If Jazz have a couple of low-level forwards on the team, just to provide depth, they are shut out of the market. Favs, Burks, JJ and all other spare parts need to be jettisoned to open up cap space. I can see Utah trying to extend Exum; he has a $15m cap hold. So no advantage to waiting. Hood's hold is only $7m. Jazz need to make a move or two early next summer before matching or offering Rodney a deal. If/when Hood signs, there goes Utah's cap space.

Well, we have 4 more days to help someone out by using Diaw's contract.

We DEFINITELY need it next year. If Jazz have a couple of low-level forwards on the team, just to provide depth, they are shut out of the market. Favs, Burks, JJ and all other spare parts need to be jettisoned to open up cap space. I can see Utah trying to extend Exum; he has a $15m cap hold. So no advantage to waiting. Hood's hold is only $7m. Jazz need to make a move or two early next summer before matching or offering Rodney a deal. If/when Hood signs, there goes Utah's cap space.

I disagree... we have enough salary and cap holds that even if we renounce Favs and JJ we'd have maybe 10M in space which is not much more than MLE. If we dump Burks (which will cost us an asset) then we have cap space, but what does $20M buy you in next year's FA class? Outside of the RFAs its awful... unless we think LeBron, CP3, or others are coming.

I think both Hood and Exum are extended this offseason at a total of around $30M annually... I don't think we want them to get to RFA. Thus I don't think we really have cap space next year.

I just don't see flexibility next year as more important than acquiring a mid first rounder.

I disagree... we have enough salary and cap holds that even if we renounce Favs and JJ we'd have maybe 10M in space which is not much more than MLE. If we dump Burks (which will cost us an asset) then we have cap space, but what does $20M buy you in next year's FA class? Outside of the RFAs its awful... unless we think LeBron, CP3, or others are coming.

I think both Hood and Exum are extended this offseason at a total of around $30M annually... I don't think we want them to get to RFA. Thus I don't think we really have cap space next year.

I just don't see flexibility next year as more important than acquiring a mid first rounder.
You are only seeing free agency. What about a team wanting to do an uneven trade? Having cap space allows Utah to take on salary while only giving a little back. And before you ask, no, I don't have names in mind. It's impossible to tell who may be on the market. A lot depends on what happens this season. Some teams always have buyer's remorse, give up and decide to rebuild. Having a "little more" than the MLE could also be important. If bidding for Player X, does he take the MLE from a team, or does he decide to take the $10m+ from Utah.

Jazz desperately need a PF. They have no one on the roster who is going to develop. Relying on a pick in the teens is dangerous. And Favs is GONE. There's no way Utah is going to repair the relationship with him. He's been the subject of trade rumors every season. I think the only way he'd stay is if Utah gave him the max. And there's no way you invest $30m/per in a player with his injury history.

You are only seeing free agency. What about a team wanting to do an uneven trade? Having cap space allows Utah to take on salary while only giving a little back. And before you ask, no, I don't have names in mind. It's impossible to tell who may be on the market. A lot depends on what happens this season. Some teams always have buyer's remorse, give up and decide to rebuild. Having a "little more" than the MLE could also be important. If bidding for Player X, does he take the MLE from a team, or does he decide to take the $10m+ from Utah.

Jazz desperately need a PF. They have no one on the roster who is going to develop. Relying on a pick in the teens is dangerous. And Favs is GONE. There's no way Utah is going to repair the relationship with him. He's been the subject of trade rumors every season. I think the only way he'd stay is if Utah gave him the max. And there's no way you invest $30m/per in a player with his injury history.

We could do the trades you are referring to with expiring and assets that we acquired in trades for those then expiring contracts. Say Jimmy butler is available would the team want cap space right then over an expiring contract and a first rounder?

With the flexibility you are waiting for something to come that may not be there. Take our space this year for instance. We didn't need it to do the Rubio deal as we could have done that after FA opened if we had wanted. Our space has dried up in prior years with almost no return... all in the name of flexibility. I say don't hamstring yourself but don't be pennywise and dollar foolish. If there are assets to be had for contracts that go beyond this year I think I'd be more than willing to go get them. We can possibly use those contracts in sign and trades if FAs want to come. I don't think it limits us that much next year tbh... especially if you think Favs is gone.