What's new

NBA New Technical Foul Policy

1-Jazzfan

Here's a link on NBA.com about the new Technical Policy.
https://www.nba.com/2010/news/09/24/officials.crackdown.ap/index.html

I think the only way to stop the NBA from calling a T for clapping your hands, etc. is to contact them and tell them that "We" like the NBA for the emotion and passion. If a player makes a foul on someone, is frustrated with themselves and then claps their hands, a la Matt Barnes last night against the Jazz, they shouldn't get a T for that.

I didn't think that clap was worth a T. The other issue is that if players are getting T's for clapping their hands and upset about the call, what's going to happen to Jerry?
He's going to get 100 T's this year.

I understand that if a player is riding the ref and clapping in his face of directed right at him, so he knows that they are making fun of his call, etc, that should be a T. Fine. I get that, but just because he claps once. No way!

I think we need to contact the NBA and tell them to let them play.

Here's their email address. https://nba.com/email_us/contact_us.html

I already emailed them. I haven't ever decided to email the NBA because of a rule, but I think this one is over the top.

Last edited:
Give the new policies some time, and let's see how they affect the game and the speed of play.

In the first televised preseason game, Harp kept talking about how he thought this would take the "emotion" out of the game. I want to see how this actually changes the game.

On a more important note. Maybe the refs had a meeting, where they decided that the best way to make outsiders not think that the NBA was fixed, or that the refs were betting on games ... was to increase the impact of the refs on the game. To be more strict, and accurate and watch the game the way they say they are going to this year. ... Maybe this has a positive effect on the direction of the the Jazz.... idk.

Maybe I just woke up too hopeful.

So NBA Fan relations responded to me.

This is what they said:

Thank you for contacting the National Basketball Association with your comments regarding NBA's Respect for the Game guidelines.

We are renewing our emphasis on these guidelines, which were implemented several seasons ago. The guidelines do not prohibit players from reacting to or disagreeing with calls; it simply means they cannot do so excessively. Our players show an extraordinary passion for the game. But when it comes to protesting calls made by the officials, that passion has increasingly resulted in prolonged complaining or gestures and other actions that show a lack of respect for the game. These incidents reflect poorly on our players and increased significantly last season.

The league has taken a number of steps to ensure players are aware of the guidelines, and can adjust to them. Prior to the start of the preseason, the NBA met with head coaches to discuss the application of the rules. During the preseason, we met with each team individually, emphasizing with coaches and players the importance of the rules, and ensuring they understand them. We are not looking to slow our game down with numerous technical fouls and have instructed referees to warn players where possible (e.g., for less forceful gestures or repeat, but short, complaints) instead of issuing a technical.

Thank you again for your concern. We appreciate your feedback regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

NBA Fan Relations

They don't seem to understand that T'ing somebody up slows the game down more than letting a guy complain for a few seconds and move on. Fans come to watch the players play, not the refs ref. From the looks of several calls in the preseason, you'd think the refs were the main spectacle.

And I can understand excessive arguing and ****, but it's rare to see that and most of the time guys would get T'ed up anyway. Their definition of "excessive" nowadays seems to be doing anything like raising your arms or even approaching an official to ask them a question, and that's just ridiculous. It seems more and more like the NBA wants this impenetrable wall between rule enforcers and those affected by the rule, and that's always a dumb idea.

It also goes to show you what kind of faceless corporate mindset Stern has applied to the NBA. I see no difference between a manager micromanaging their employees and this new set of rules. Just look the other way for a second while somebody is understandably frustrated, do your job, and get on with the game.

Here's what I wrote to them:

"I just wanted to drop a line to say thank you for wrangling in all of these tattooed, fatherless, chest thumping, hoppers. The game was... just... dying. You shall be revered as Jesus. (before the whole execution thing, lol) Anyhow... keep up the good work!

Your faithful and loyal fan,

CarolinaJazz..."

No response yet.

Something had to be done. The whining about calls was absolutely out of control. It turns a lot of people off from the NBA.

Looks like Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports has jumped on the bus too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An.fxFJvbEXdwbPZ61ygAa.8vLYF?slug=aw-sternofficiating101410

On a list of 100 desires of the NBA fan, enacting this edict probably falls somewhere in the top 150. The fans? What they want is competent ownership and management.

Just beyond the shadows of the NBA’s Olympic Tower Wednesday night at Madison Square Garden, Boston’s Jermaine O’Neal(notes) drew his second technical in two nights for moderately reacting to a referee’s foul call. Kevin Garnett(notes) was given a technical moments later for trying to show an official how a New York Knicks player had hit him, and was then ejected for laughing over the legitimacy of that tech.

Finally, the Knicks’ Timofey Mozgov(notes) muttered to himself in Russian, and these lost, young referees carrying out orders teed him up, too.

“These new rules are very, very excessive,” Jermaine O’Neal told Yahoo! Sports before the game. “They’re telling us the general public says we whine too much, but look at the way the NBA’s business is growing globally. I can see both sides of this. No one wants to see complaining over every call, but look at the rules. You can’t even make a hand gesture – never mind say anything."

Yes, referees should give techs to players who overreact. But now you get a technical for reacting. That’s an immense difference, and there’s no majority of NBA fans anywhere who ever demanded these changes from the league. This way, the league never has to address the putrid nature of its officiating. If players aren’t reacting to bad calls, they must not have been bad calls. San Antonio Spurs guard George Hill(notes) made a clean strip on the Los Angeles Clippers’ Eric Gordon(notes) in the final minute of a one-point game on Tuesday, got called for a foul and reacted in a natural, expressive twinge of frustration. He drew a tech, and it nearly cost the Spurs a game.

“With the nature of human error being involved with the officials, guys are going to react when it’s a bad call,” O’Neal said.

This new rule has ruined the game of basketball. Emotions make the game fun, intense, competitive, energetic, amazing, worth biting your nails over, splendid, Vinyloneyrific. If you punish silly and little emotional reactions by players, you're ruining the league. Period, point blank. Here's an idea for Stern: (maybe he can implement it next year.) Go **** yourself, Stern.

Something had to be done. The whining about calls was absolutely out of control. It turns a lot of people off from the NBA.
I agree with the part about the whining.
This new rule has ruined the game of basketball. Emotions make the game fun, intense, competitive, energetic, amazing, worth biting your nails over, splendid, Vinyloneyrific. If you punish silly and little emotional reactions by players, you're ruining the league. Period, point blank. Here's an idea for Stern: (maybe he can implement it next year.) Go **** yourself, Stern.
I totally agree. Being at the game was not the same experience with the players not being allowed to show emotion.