What's new

need advice

♪alt13

So a crackhead in a Rental Car ran into my wife's car. The car rental company(enterprise) said that they are not required to have liability insurance? First of all what the f*** how can that be true. Is there any way to go after Enterprise because from the sound of it Little Miss methamphetamine won't be paying for the damage.

Sounds like they’re definitely in the wrong — I’d pursue it.

I rent cars all the time (almost monthly or biweekly for the better part of a decade.) I don't recall ever having to provide proof of insurance and always thought it was weird. Granted, I'm sure you have to sign something that says you have insurance, but to my knowledge, I've never provided paperwork for it.

Hmmm, I think the last time I rented a car, they asked for my insurance. Maybe I'm wrong. But I can't believe it's legal to be able to rent/drive a car without it. Seems like that would put Enterprise at a lot of risk to be sued.

I rent cars all the time (almost monthly or biweekly for the better part of a decade.) I don't recall ever having to provide proof of insurance and always thought it was weird. Granted, I'm sure you have to sign something that says you have insurance, but to my knowledge, I've never provided paperwork for it.

This is my understanding. If they could really be held liable I think they would require it and it wouldn't just be a signature. I've never been asked for insurance in any state.

I think you may be paying the deductible and putting it through your insurance on this one.

There's some ****** people out there, alt13.

You should start a gofundme if you need any help getting this taken care of. I know most people don't have thousands of dollars laying around for car repairs. You'll get a donation from me and I'm sure other random guys who share your fandom will help too.

Well, I stand corrected. I guess alt13 is screwed on this one. Hoping he has underinsured/uninsured coverage on his policy. I'd at least consult an attorney. File a lawsuit against the woman if she doesn't have insurance. She at least should be found guilty of driving without insurance.

Get a lawyer
Well, I stand corrected. I guess alt13 is screwed on this one. Hoping he has underinsured/uninsured coverage on his policy. I'd at least consult an attorney. File a lawsuit against the woman if she doesn't have insurance. She at least should be found guilty of driving without insurance.

But if the woman doesn't have the means to pay it why bother hiring a lawyer and go through all that trouble? Also costs money and lawyers can be really expensive.

Why not just file a claim with your insurer and let them do the chasing?

So a crackhead in a Rental Car ran into my wife's car. The car rental company(enterprise) said that they are not required to have liability insurance? First of all what the f*** how can that be true. Is there any way to go after Enterprise because from the sound of it Little Miss methamphetamine won't be paying for the damage.

Surely your insurance would just handle it? Surely the rental car business must be insured?

But if the woman doesn't have the means to pay it why bother hiring a lawyer and go through all that trouble? Also costs money and lawyers can be really expensive.

Why not just file a claim with your insurer and let them do the chasing?
A consult would be cheap or even free. The problem is that Enterprise is claiming they aren't liable. So who knows how much insurance rates will increase if alt13's company just pays out and gives up because the driver was uninsured(?). I'm paying $1K/yr more due to my recent accident. It was my fault, but it's a pretty steep increase.

A consult would be cheap or even free. The problem is that Enterprise is claiming they aren't liable. So who knows how much insurance rates will increase if alt13's company just pays out and gives up because the driver was uninsured(?). I'm paying $1K/yr more due to my recent accident. It was my fault, but it's a pretty steep increase.

Yah but this is salt's fault though?

Yah but this is salt's fault though?
If alt's insurance company pays out and can't recover the money from the other insurance agency or driver, I'll bet they try to raise his rates. I could be wrong, but that's probably why if it were me, I'd call an attorney and pay for an initial consult.

Rental contract is where your real issue is. If you all declined their insurance and said you have your own, looks like you'll be on the hook to fix the damage.

So our insurance company is "investigating" and going to send out an adjuster. Sounds like we are at least going to be screwed 500 dollars for our deductible even though it wasn't our fault. I think that it's straight b******* the car rental company has no responsibility to make sure you're insured. I'm pretty sure even the racket that we call car dealerships have to make sure that you have insurance. If you don't have liability insurance then you should have to buy short term liability insurance from the car rental company or else they should be liable. This is some b*******.

So our insurance company is "investigating" and going to send out an adjuster. Sounds like we are at least going to be screwed 500 dollars for our deductible even though it wasn't our fault. I think that it's straight b******* the car rental company has no responsibility to make sure you're insured. I'm pretty sure even the racket that we call car dealerships have to make sure that you have insurance. If you don't have liability insurance then you should have to buy short term liability insurance from the car rental company or else they should be liable. This is some b*******.

It's such a competitive industry though. Say there are 2 cars rental companies competing for your business, if you have limited funds, are you going to go with the one that forces you to take out liability insurance or the one that doesn't? Some people would just go with the cheaper option (especially a meth head like this one).

That's all these companies care about - the bottom line. They don't have any responsibility to make sure third parties are paid up in the event of an accident.

I honestly don't give two s**** if she's criminally prosecuted 4 no insurance. That does nothing for me. Either she should have to give me money or I should get to punch her in her face.

It's like you go to the theme park and go on one of those bumper cars. You tried to run over someone you don't like and he broke a leg. Does the theme park have the responsibility of ensuring you have third party insurance before you go on that car? Are they responsible for that person's broken leg?

I don't think they do. Only the driver should be.

It's such a competitive industry though. Say there are 2 cars rental companies competing for your business, if you have limited funds, are you going to go with the one that forces you to take out liability insurance or the one that doesn't? Some people would just go with the cheaper option (especially a meth head like this one).

That's all these companies care about - the bottom line. They don't have any responsibility to make sure third parties are paid up in the event of an accident.

Yeah I'm cool with that. Then I can go after the cheap car rental company to pay my damages. That's what I find to be ridiculous. That they have no responsibility for their vehicles.