What's new

Need Alec to show up

phippsj

Of our "core 4", he's the one who really looks like the exact same player as last year. I was really hoping to see a big jump in his game. Could still be looking for his game rhythm... here's hoping!

He's gotta work on PnR, playing off ball, playing with ball, looking before you pass, not driving into 3 guys for a crazy layup, jumpshot, corner 3, ....

Well currently he's mostly playing with scrubs, so he'd rather go for the shot. Last game he got 6 assists. Just give him some time to learn his role once the team is back.

Wait remember when he was the only one playing good at the beginning of the preseason....

Now you gonna call him out Cuz he's had a few bad games... So did you see his line on the lakers game..

14pts 6ast 5rbs

SMD

Wait remember when he was the only one playing good at the beginning of the preseason....

Now you gonna call him out Cuz he's had a few bad games... So did you see his line on the lakers game..

14pts 6ast 5rbs

SMD

I watched the game... I don't think he has had a "good" preseason game yet. I think it will come, but in that game he was the same Alec as last year.

Everyone knows he has physical talents. What we are questioning is his decision making. I personally think its just game rhythm. But yes, I am calling him out. I don't think he has had a "great" game where he has shown us new aspects that he has worked on this summer. Hayward, Kanter and Favors have all had some pretty impressive moments, and all seem to building on that momentum. I'm waiting for Alec to join that bunch.

I'm optimistic though!

I'm waiting for Alec to join that bunch.

I think the best way for him to join that bunch woukd be for corbin to actually let him join that bunch (start him with the others)
He seems to play better with kanter, hayward, and favors..... than with mcguire, cook, clarke, machado, holliday.

Go figure

Ok let's be fair here. When Burks is playing with NBA level talent he is rebounding and assisting as well. Go look at the box score for confirmation.

When he is playing with D league scrubs that cannot score or anything else Burks is left to shoulder all the burden and it leads to him playing iso ball.

When Williams, Tinsley (or Lucas), Evans and Rush are all back and in the second unit with him the need for him to do it all alone will no longer be there and he will back off a little and look much better.

Ok let's be fair here. When Burks is playing with NBA level talent he is rebounding and assisting as well. Go look at the box score for confirmation.

When he is playing with D league scrubs that cannot score or anything else Burks is left to shoulder all the burden and it leads to him playing iso ball.

When Williams, Tinsley (or Lucas), Evans and Rush are all back and in the second unit with him the need for him to do it all alone will no longer be there and he will back off a little and look much better.

He has not had enough time with the starters. I'd definitely like to see him get more time with that group. However, that does not mean that he has had no time with them. That also does not mean he is still making rookie mistakes. The charge last night is a good example. Saw that one coming the whole way... he's got to have the jumpstop, pullup or pass when you have a PG in front on defense. First team, second team... its the mental part of the game that worries me. I'm not worried about shots that are not dropping when they are good shots. I'm worried about decision making.

And I definitely agree... cut the scrubs already!!!

He has not had enough time with the starters. I'd definitely like to see him get more time with that group. However, that does not mean that he has had no time with them. That also does not mean he is still making rookie mistakes. The charge last night is a good example. Saw that one coming the whole way... he's got to have the jumpstop, pullup or pass when you have a PG in front on defense. First team, second team... its the mental part of the game that worries me. I'm not worried about shots that are not dropping when they are good shots. I'm worried about decision making.

And I definitely agree... cut the scrubs already!!!

He does have a tendency to make poor decisions but i htink it is because he feels he has no choice. Once the talent around him increases so will his play. He clearly has work to do. I am jsut saying it will be better when the team is fully healthy. So its not all Burks.

Just one other point to make

So far in burks career he has played and practiced (I assume) with primarily backups....... those backups for the most part consisted of kanter, favors, and hayward.
Watching him play with those guys in the lineup with him, he looks much more comfortable and seems to have chemistry with them. Which would make sense. (Watch the favors highlight vid in the favors extension thread and you will see that burks has more assists to favors than ANYONE else on the team in that video)

Now he is playing and practicing with a constantly shuffling line up of d league scrubs.

The point remains that -- as of now -- we are making excuses for Alec. Things might be the result of how he's being used or who he is playing with, but the fact remains that he isn't proving himself to be the kind of player we need.

Personally, I'd use him very differently than Corbin. But, whatevar.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];681116 said:
The point remains that -- as of now -- we are making excuses for Alec. Things might be the result of how he's being used or who he is playing with, but the fact remains that he isn't proving himself to be the kind of player we need.

I don't see what I said as an excuse. I think it is reality. Your point is still valid that Burks needs to step up. Out of the C4 he has the farthest to come.

How would you use him?

I don't see what I said as an excuse. I think it is reality. Your point is still valid that Burks needs to step up. Out of the C4 he has the farthest to come.

Both of these are fair.

Burks struggles in the end fall on himself.... but he has not been put into very good situations so far in his career.
Dnp's, back and forth from pg and sg, getting left out of the starting lineup when all his bench mates get starting gigs, corbin, playing behind foye, cj, bell, howard, jefferson, marvin....

How would you use him?

I caught a few minutes of a Mavs game the other day, and I liked how Coach Jim Carey is structuring an offense with Monta and Calderon in the same back court. Essentially, Monta is pushing the break and, in the half-court, he's getting high screen-roll action and attacking the rim. Calderon's shot has to be respected, so he plays well enough off the ball. He spreads the floor. But, then you obviously run a different offense through Calderon on other possessions; he's used like a traditional pg. You have both of these philosophies running side by side.

When Burke went down, the best thing to do was to insert the guy who could at least feasibly hold his own on defense -- I mean, establishing the defense should be the #1 priority. That means immediately scrapping the idea of JL3, Tinsley, Machado, etc. Burks was/is that guy. We could run a similar parallel offense between Burks and Hayward. But whatevar.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];681148 said:
I caught a few minutes of a Mavs game the other day, and I liked how Coach Jim Carey is structuring an offense with Monta and Calderon in the same back court. Essentially, Monta is pushing the break and, in the half-court, he's getting high screen-roll action and attacking the rim. Calderon's shot has to be respected, so he plays well enough off the ball. He spreads the floor. But, then you obviously run a different offense through Calderon on other possessions; he's used like a traditional pg. You have both of these philosophies running side by side.

When Burke went down, the best thing to do was to insert the guy who could at least feasibly hold his own on defense -- I mean, establishing the defense should be the #1 priority. That means immediately scrapping the idea of JL3, Tinsley, Machado, etc. Burks was/is that guy. We could run a similar parallel offense between Burks and Hayward. But whatevar.

The idea does seem tempting, but I don't think it would work in practice. Burks/Hayward has nowhere near the ball-handling capabilities of an Ellis/Calderon backcourt.

Alec is Sasha Pavlovic.