What's new

Negotiating?

bigb

Free at last!!!
Contributor
As a lot of you know, I'm an electrician in Salt Lake. While I still am an employee, my boss (my dad) lets me do as much work on the side as I can find. He'll even throw my some side jobs if we're too busy or he doesn't want to do them. I do all of my side jobs after hours (nights and weekends). I don't do estimates, I give a firm bid. If it's a service call to find and fix a problem, I'm up front with my hourly rates and I specifically state what my minimum charge is. The last couple of jobs I looked at, I gave the owners a price to do the work they wanted done, only to have them come back and ask for a lower price.
So my question is this: Do any of you do this? Is this the new way of doing things? Call a professional for a price and then try to negotiate the price down? Everybody in the profession I talk to does it the same way I do, they give a bid. If that's the way things are going, while I think that sucks, I'll have to adapt and go with it. But that means my opening price becomes higher, so there is room to negotiate.

I'm very interested in the responses to this.

I pretty much pay the bid for every HI project I call for. I realize you are wasting your time driving all the f'in way out to my house and then have to drive all the way back to my house the next day to do some small yet technical task. I figure roughly $80 each trip is built into your cost of doing business. However, most people are assholes who would rather quibble over $60 on a $600 job than have the peace of mind that they aren't screwing over the guy who is putting in something that could potentially burn their house down. I would rather hire quality and pay a very small bit extra in the grand scheme of things. I tend to know what rates are and if you are ripping me off or not. Give me a fair price and I'll gladly pay it.

As to your question, my only advice is that my type hires people I perceive as trustworthy organizations that don't make money by screwing people over (and hence do not have to bend on a bid/can blame it on corporate hq). I'm not sure branding is something you can do for work on the side. I would try to perfect some excuse along the lines as to how your contract with your boss will not allow you to take work for less than the standard rate, and then say something about how you bid it as a fair price. You probably already do this.

This kind of thing bugs me, but I do it sometimes too. I don't eff with electricians though. I always pay them what they quote. Like Frank said, they could burn your house down.

Also, these people asking for discounts should understand that you are a stand up dude, and will put everything up to code, and probably not burn their house down.

Maybe they are just poor. Maybe they are dicks.

Negotiating kind of sucks though. I feel like the people who negotiate all the time usually get pretty crappy work done. The workers are not super pumped to do the best job if they feel like they are being ripped off.

Goods are a little different though, and I will negotiate on goods more than I will services.

Owning a GC company and charging the highest cost plus in the region, I have some good advice for you.
I will have to do it later (Tuesday?) because I'm headed out right now.

For now, always remember this little tidbit -- Any problem you recognize as a theme, handle it right up front. In this case, let people know - immediately - you're a no haggle contractor. Tell them you've found most people prefer the best price up front with no negotiation. So please tell me now if you're the type that prefers to negotiate so that I know I need to inflate my estimate to account for that (said jokingly, but then no one ever haggles when put on notice).

So please tell me now if you're the type that prefers to negotiate so that I know I need to inflate my estimate to account for that (said jokingly, but then no one ever haggles when put on notice).

I don't know anyone who would actually hire someone who said this. Joking or not. The rest of your advice was sound though imo.

Basically what Dr. Jones said. I've negotiated prices on enough items to fill 10 warehouses in my 28 years, and I've found that giving a firm price is definitely the best course of action.

I'm not really the type of person, people who like to haggle, like to haggle with... So I much prefer to skip that whole step..

A firm price(and explaining why the price is firm) is the best way to go about things, usually folks that aren't shameless will feel less inclined to haggle with ya if they feel they know the inner workings(itemized bill). These haggling types often times are just trying to re-assure themselves their getting a good deal, so try and accomplish that without haggling..

If they try to negotiate and you keep going back to the firm original price, they'll probably spin their tires for a bit and cave.. and I'd be quick to tell em, 'I can't cut into my bottom-line, it's not worth it' (only a greedy **** will keep going after that). I'm not sure if your looking to turn down business, as long as your prices are competitive I wouldn't sweat it though..

I've never sold any services, I'm sure this is the way to do it though.

Last edited:
Like Peeks said, I would be up front and say you don't haggle with your price. I'd add to that your rate is very competitive and that between

I am willing to negotiate ANYTHING that has to do with money! And I don't eat at a fast food joint....unless I've got a "coupon" for a big discount!

I don't know anyone who would actually hire someone who said this. Joking or not. The rest of your advice was sound though imo.

Honestly, you'd have to hear it done live. I knew how it would sound in text as I wrote it. It doesn't come off cheesy at all and works every time.

As a lot of you know, I'm an electrician in Salt Lake. While I still am an employee, my boss (my dad) lets me do as much work on the side as I can find. He'll even throw my some side jobs if we're too busy or he doesn't want to do them. I do all of my side jobs after hours (nights and weekends). I don't do estimates, I give a firm bid. If it's a service call to find and fix a problem, I'm up front with my hourly rates and I specifically state what my minimum charge is. The last couple of jobs I looked at, I gave the owners a price to do the work they wanted done, only to have them come back and ask for a lower price.
So my question is this: Do any of you do this? Is this the new way of doing things? Call a professional for a price and then try to negotiate the price down? Everybody in the profession I talk to does it the same way I do, they give a bid. If that's the way things are going, while I think that sucks, I'll have to adapt and go with it. But that means my opening price becomes higher, so there is room to negotiate.

Haggling is greasy as s***, and insulting. Don't fall into that trap mang.